'Snatch' Land Rover. Desertised V8 W/VPK

paul connor

It's been a long journey, but it's nearly there....well, the restoration side of things not the ownership.

I bought the old girl/boy (unsure yet what it is) back in July 2013 on whim.

I had said to myself that I would not return to the MV scene as I had experienced some less than nice people, which had changed my mind on the whole movement. Thankfully I can say the company I now keep if far superior and my faith has been restored in the movement. Anyhow, I had seen one of these lumbering old machines and I wanted one.

Green machines never leave you, it's always there and you'll not change that even if you want to!

Here are a few pictures of the ongoing restoration and how the vehicle currently sit. Awaiting DVLA documents.

First two pictures are copied from Sirhc's webpage from his visit. I hope he doesn't mind. He saw my future vehicle at WithamsIMAG1699.jpg

Unfortunately the previous owner had sold all of the hard to find parts before I got my hands on it. Bas***D!

IMAG1694.jpg

IMG_3138.JPG

IMG_3140.JPG

As soon as the vehicle arrived home I set about finding it a proper storage area. As you can tell this was an eBay last minute purchase without thinking through the logistics and storage issues! Seems I will never change with my spontaneity.

IMAG4346.jpg

Not all in the correct order.

I started by stripping and checking the whole chassis, which surprisingly was good condition bar the crossmember.

That was stripped to bare and primed and painted.

All bushes were replaced with Polyurethene bushes by SuperPro. I recommend these to anyone. 3 year guarantee!

All springs and shocks were removed and new units fitted.

Brakes totally overhauled. New lines as well as hose and discs/pads.

New steering swivels as the old ones were pitted. New bearings and pins.

IMAG3016.jpg

IMAG3058.jpg

IMAG3059.jpg

IMAG3087.jpg

IMAG3187.jpg

IMAG3857.jpg

IMAG3862.jpg

IMAG3870.jpg

IMAG3985.jpg

IMAG4040.jpg

IMAG4119.jpg

IMAG4122.jpg

IMAG4202.jpg

IMAG4275.jpg

Edited by paul connor

IMAG4384.jpg

New interior parts start to be fitted after it was stripped and painted. The amount of sand in these vehicles is unbelievable!

The interior racking behind the front crew isn't correct for a Snatch 1.5 which had solid racking. This racking is from a Snatch 2 which had a door system built into the rack. I prefer the idea of being able to enter the rear without leaving the vehicle and not being locked out if something fails!

IMAG2889.jpg

IMAG2906.jpg

IMAG2908.jpg

IMAG2927.jpg

IMAG2985.jpg

IMAG2992.jpg

IMAG3019.jpg

IMAG3134.jpg

IMAG4239.jpg

IMAG4256.jpg

Edited by paul connor

DSC_0237.jpg

A few pictures of the state of the old engine. It had busted a piston, well two! and the bottom end long expired. Maybe due to oil starvation or mechanical fault. Also some pictures in the wrong order of the new engine being fitted.

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

Edited by paul connor

DSC_0987.jpg

Interior rear seats and the rare cushions fitted.

Golight gets its dome protective cover. Although not strictly correct for a Snatch 1.5 as they only appear on Snatch 2. But, artistic licence and it's great fun in the dark!! as it's remote controlled.

Engine looking as it should do. Nice and clean and running well.

Last shot is the smug Snatch looking pleased with itself after passing an MOT.

DSC_0523 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0524 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0525 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0549 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0552 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0784 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0793 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0795 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0805 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0818 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0826 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0827 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0877 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0888 - Copy.jpg

DSC_0984 - Copy.jpg

Edited by paul connor

• 1 month later...

Cheers for the offer Dave, but I have a few sets spare and limited space, as I keep storing parts! Thanks for the offer though.

I sourced the engine from Hobson Engineering. They dieselised a large amount of the Army fleet and kept the engines in storage.

They're pretty good on price for turnkey engines

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The time came for the first of the show season runs. I took the Snatch and my 110 from Uckfield to Salisbury.

The Snatch performed very well, other than being very thirsty! Only mechanical issue of the day was a heater control cable slipping from its mount and jamming the heater vent, which meant the heating was on for an hour on the Plains run. As my AC isn't charged it was somewhat uncomfortable for that duration as there is limited ventilation even with the roof hatch and extraction fan running. Around 38 degrees in the cab! Not helped with a rare glimpse of British sunshine!

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_4246.jpg

Hi Paul,

I haven't forgotten about the switch bank but have been flat out with prep work for the liberation, I will dig them out next week when I have some time.

The time came for the first of the show season runs. I took the Snatch and my 110 from Uckfield to Salisbury.

The Snatch performed very well, other than being very thirsty! Only mechanical issue of the day was a heater control cable slipping from its mount and jamming the heater vent, which meant the heating was on for an hour on the Plains run. As my AC isn't charged it was somewhat uncomfortable for that duration as there is limited ventilation even with the roof hatch and extraction fan running. Around 38 degrees in the cab! Not helped with a rare glimpse of British sunshine!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104034[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]104033[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]104035[/ATTACH]

when we were driving these in Iraq, the majority didn't have any form of working A/C so the passenger used to hold his foot against the slightly open door to hold it open. Not to much but that small gap made a massive difference when we were in full body Armour in the summer months. We were ordered to stop doing it due to potentially losing a foot if we drove into an IED but we ignored that order except when in a built up area. They were sh*t days but I'll never forget them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...