Land Rover Penthouse Light

Charlie

Another question, Is there a bracket to fit the penthouse light to the top of the roll bar behind the front seats in a wolf or was it cable tied? And were these just wired direct to the battery or was there a distribution box used somewhere?

Best,

Charlie

Charlie if you have the proper clamps for fitting them to the frame of a shelter you will have found they will not grasp the width of the roll cage. I tried various modifications to make the clamps to fit but gave up. In the end I used U bolt clamps for an exhaust. I just clamped two to the roll bar spaced for the holes in the light. Then with the clamps secured used one leg of each clamp to attach to the light using nyloc nuts.

In my TUL I had two & in TUM had three. They were just fed in series from the battery via a fuse.

Charlie, you should have a twin core cable that comes up behind the nearside front seatbelt which feeds from Fuse 7 on the dash. It is fused at 7.5A and I think was intended as a radio feed and is more than sufficient to supply two or three penthouse lights. That saves running extra wires.

Nick

Thanks guys,

Got the light through today and It has a 3 pin plug and not a 2 pin as i expected! Found the right lead on ebay, but does anyone know which pin is which? The light is a Type 3 Mark 1 FV562009 so it is the 24V one and not the 110V one. I just diddnt expect 3 pins for 24 volt equipment ?!

Cheers C.

Charlie there is 230v one also, but the pin spacing is larger.

On your one 24v one there are 3 terminals positive, negative & the earth which is the screening. Screening is necessary to reduce RF interference not just pick up from a nearby transmitter but to reduce the amount of radiated RF from the internal inverter that produces the 230v to drive the tube from 24v.

There was a thread on the issue of connections here a year ago. As I got it wrong in the first instance I better not give an opinion.

Thanks for all your help guys, success :). I found the feed for the radios, it had been cut off with about a foot of cable left and live ends left! I put a two pin plug on the end and went straight into a distribution box.

IMG_2343.JPG

Made up 2 brackets wit a bit of 8mm steel and attached to the roll bar with the U-bolt that hold the weapons mount to the rollbar. Turned up an aluminium spacer as the U-bolt nut covered the lamp's plug socket!

IMG_2345.JPG

Changed a 3 pin plug on a connecting lead to a 2 pin plug (connected the Earth and Negative together) (Pin A was +), connected to the distribution box and blow me down it lit up! I can see in the dark :)

IMG_2344.JPG

Best regards,

Charlie