FV4101 Charioteer Restoration

turret basket was actually harder than the turret to remove as it was a little tricky getting round the rotary base junction without tearing the cables out which would have been a disaster as there are loads of cables and they are all blue and have no markings at all (genius)

WP_20150206_16_22_31_Pro.jpg

WP_20150206_14_51_10_Pro.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

engine and box painted the correct post war blue, unfortunately when they were converted to jordanian spec they were painted silver and will be again but I thought it important to put all the paint history back on them. who knows in a hundred years from now someone will give it a refurb and find the different layers and see it's lineage from wartime drab to blue to silver.

WP_20150206_15_53_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20150206_15_53_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20150206_15_53_54_Pro.jpg

lauren came over a couple of weeks ago and whilst looking for unit markings under the top coat of paint found this delamination on the glacis plate which could be battle damage although there is no distortion of the plate, I found the same thing on the side of my Churchill near to the impacts from anti tank rockets.

WP_20150206_15_42_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20150206_15_42_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20150206_15_43_24_Pro.jpg

I couldn't see any impact marks inside or out but there is a bit of a ding in the plate welded over the old besa hole and it's in line with the delamination, (it's above the area I removed the paint from).

we'll have to sand blast it to get a better look

WP_20150206_15_42_15_Pro.jpg

the engine and box were originally blue and then during the chris Wilkinson conversion for the Jordanians they were painted silver but I couldn't make my mind up whether the engine was painted silver just on top ie. in situ or whether it was all over silver. looking back on the pics before the engine was rebuilt I decided on all over. looks quite smart in my opinion

WP_20150207_15_54_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20150207_15_54_05_Pro.jpg

Rick, Chris only supplied kits of parts for the traverse, there was no general conversion done. Mine still has an engine in eau-de-nil. The rest of the interior including engine bay and gearbox is the pale cream/sand.

You can see silver underneath inside but that is the old British Army finish.

thanks Adrian for putting me right on chris wilkinson's role in things. I had assumed that because the jordanain conversion was a little rough and ready, that it had been done by a guy in a yard with a gas axe and a collection of large hammers. no offence intended to chris Wilkinson or his associates but it was definitely a no frills job ! anyway looks like someone else did it.

the engine and box had been painted silver which I again assumed was done while in the uk but I am now beginning to think the Israeli's put it through a refurb programme after it was captured, which included a partial strip down and sand blasting, this would explain the lack of markings under the top coat (that was applied while it sat in the IOW museum) I had expected to find the tanks history the further through the layers of paint we went but it turned out that there were only the recent top coat, then a darker (probably Israeli) sand under it and a grey primer beneath that. shame it could have told us a lot about it's history.

I guess a trip down to the tank museum archives is on the cards for lauren :-D

engine before refurb

100_3904.jpg

As far as I know the conversion was carried out by the Jordanians themselves. Chris told me he set up a demo using parts he had in stock. I understood this to be just the parts connected together, not involving a vehicle. They then ordered fifty sets. He also supplied roadwheels he was buying from Pounds, they came off the Centaur dozers.

As far as I know the conversion was carried out by the Jordanians themselves. Chris told me he set up a demo using parts he had in stock. I understood this to be just the parts connected together, not involving a vehicle. They then ordered fifty sets. He also supplied roadwheels he was buying from Pounds, they came off the Centaur dozers.

What conversion took place, from what to what ?

All very interesting stuff; would I be right in thinking that all the Charioteers were created from Cromwells in one batch in the UK and the Jordanian mods were some form of life extension in the late 50s or 60s to the ones they had purchased from the UK during our disposal of demobed Charioteers? On the other hand, did the Jordanians purchase brand new Charioteers fresh from the conversion program at the same time that they went into British Army use?

Edited by ajmac

the charioteers used the Cromwell hydraulic pump driven from the bevel box at the front of the engine, whereas the Jordanians used the electro hydraulic system from the Sherman to power the turret traverse gearbox.

the left hand pic shows the electric motor low down in the hull and the traverse gearbox above it. right pic is the gearbox. out on the bench

WP_20150128_17_27_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20150121_16_39_43_Pro.jpg

all the bits we removed from the turret/basket have now been repaired and painted ready for refitting. the turret basket floor plates have been cut and I am just waiting on the ply to be cnc cut then we can assemble it. it's a bit of a strange construction in so much as the top and bottom steel sheets have a lip formed over the edge of the ply which is soldered to a band running along the edge. i'm quite looking forward to the having a go at some soldering on such a large scale.

WP_20150216_14_22_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20150216_14_23_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20150216_14_21_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20150216_14_22_32_Pro.jpg

thanks paul

picked the ply up today but wasn't ready til late so while we were waiting I stripped the output flanges from the gearbox and removed the seals. unfortunately my local supplier didn't stock any replacements and will have to have the seals custom made, however I might have a supply for nos seals but won't know til Friday. once I get them it's a simple job to fit them and put the brakes back on.

WP_20150217_14_11_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20150217_14_11_40_Pro.jpg

the crane guy finally arrived and I think we made his day lifting a tank turret, makes a change from shipping containers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]101345[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]101346[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]101347[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]101348[/ATTACH]

With all this scruffy expertise (I mean this as a compliment), I expected you guys to build some kind of A frame they used to haul stones for Egyptian pyramids or concoct a lifting routine using floor jacks and timbers. That's how they lift houses before moving them... I imagine hiring a crane is not a cheap exercise. How heavy is that turret?

funny you should say that as I was coming up with a plan b if the crane guy let me down one more time but he came good in the end for £150, the crane was 66ton meter and was at 90% when we moved it across but it was extended, I reckon the turret weighs around 5ton.

as to progress I must admit i'm a little frustrated at how slow it is but when something is 70 years old I suppose it's inevitable. having said that by Friday I want the hull interior blasted and painted and the turret basket floor finished ready for fitting and the gearbox back together and fitted, I plan to connect all the hydraulics and test them before anything else is done, once i'm happy we can start to fit the main assemblies back in the engine bay after which there is the rads and elecs to sort and we will be running !

unfortunately my local supplier didn't stock any replacements and will have to have the seals custom made, however I might have a supply for nos seals but won't know til Friday.

Rick, let me know what size / style the seals are, I have a contact down here who may be able to source them (pattern not NOS though).