FV4101 Charioteer Restoration

Great project !!! and nice to see your progress!!! have you seen this site http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/UK/FV-4101_Charioteer_tank_destroyer.php ...it has loads of information about the other surviving Charioteers... and some nice "Airfix model" paint design/insignia prints!!!

Thanks. Now we know where to put the transfers :)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glad you like the steps paul. "if a jobs worth doing it's worth doing well" :blush:

crane booked in for Friday so the turret will be off by close of play, might put it on the Churchill hull :cool2:

managed to get hold of the same spark that did my Cromwell and he's coming a week today and after he's worked his magic we can start nailing it all back together !

rick

You always get the impression that the Charioteer was head and shoulders above a Cromwell but it doesn't look that striking in the garage photo.

It's not that different a size of turret. They kept a very small profile forward to minimise the chance of being hit, and the turret is reduced to 2 crew as a result. It's longer back though to account for the 20 pounder and radio.

The hull gunner position has gone to make way for ammo storage lower down.

not got any pics today, too busy laying 10 ton of concrete to allow the crane wagon to get next to the charioteer on Friday for the big lift, however we did finish stripping the turret bins to enable the last of securing bolts to be removed. the traverse box is out on the bench ready for a clean/paint and a once over, the only thing we struggled with was getting the commanders seat out so we could get to the bolts underneath, it looked simple but there are 2 grub screws holding the hinge pins in and they would not come out even after we got it white hot, we ended up cutting it off at the weld and will just have to weld it back on again when the time comes. next couple of days are going to be busy !

pics tomorrow

rick

Good luck with this restoration, I was very tempted by what was on offer when this was for sale, and personally I think your doing the right thing keeping it as it is, the Charioteer is a lovely looking tank and has good history.

Look forward to seeing it at some point in the future.

Enjoy!

we plan on having it ready for w&p which would be cool

the turret is not going to be lifted tomorrow as the weather sucks and it will do the concrete no harm to wait a few more days, which is a shame as it's ready to come off, just needs the electrics disconnecting which i'll do in the morning after that we will clean up the motor and traverse box and put them to one side ready for refitting

rick

WP_20150129_12_05_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20150128_17_27_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20150129_12_03_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20150129_12_04_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20150129_12_04_59_Pro.jpg

been a bit lazy with the updates but will get back on them now, had a few problems with the crane guy and will have to wait til 10am Friday before he turns up but the good news is we have had time to carry on stripping and cleaning the inside and have rebuilt the vehicle brakes, actually they were in great condition already just pulled them apart derusted and painted and will put the drums on tomorrow. turret elecs are now disconnected and any remaining cables/ancillaries are off. turret has been split from the ring so the lift should go smoothly. had a bit of a let down from the spark i used on my Cromwell and was going to use on the charioteer, seems he's had a change of mind and didn't want to get committed to another tank sparking job so if anyone knows of a good spark in the north west please let me know. cheers

considering the tank has been outside i continue to be surprised at just how well it has stood up to the rust, there are a few tin covers and bins that have corroded but on the whole everything we've stripped has come out well, let's hope it carries on like that :)

WP_20150131_16_52_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20150131_16_53_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20150131_16_54_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20150203_13_40_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20150204_16_11_58_Pro.jpg

cheers fella's

crane was late but at least he turned up and the lift went well, will post the pics later on. decided to put the turret on the Churchill and it looked really good. might put the Churchill turret on the charioteer then take some pics in black and white and post them up, wonder how long it would be before they're on google images :cool2: