'Bodge Deep' and 'Jessie the Jeep' proudly present.....

Jessie The Jeep

'The Century Bombers' living history display!

century_bombers.jpg

Both Bodges Dodge and my Jeep are painted to represent US 8th Air Force, 100th Bomb Group vehicles. After meeting and having a good chat at the Elvington 'Wheels and Wings' show, Bodge and I decided to pool our resources, and whenever possible, meet up to form a joint display.

dodge2.jpg

jeep1.jpg

There are plenty of people doing the Big Red 1, 101st Airborne etc, but hardly anyone in the north of the country doing USAAF. We both have connections to the 100th Bomb Group, hence the markings our vehicles appear in, so a display focussed on the US 100th Bombardment Group seemed a great idea.

Here's the crew so far

steve.jpg

rupert.jpg

stuart.jpg

lynne.jpg

We plan the display to include both air and ground clothing and equipment to represent air and ground crews. I've already got quite a bit of flying kit, and I'm now collecting instruments and radio parts to create a technicians display. Bodge, with his chequered Dodge is for now working on 'Flying Control', but with all the space he has in the back, I'm sure his collection will grow! We are also thinking of inviting one or two others to join us.

dodge1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

The 100th Bomb Group started its operations at Thorpe Abbotts in June 1943, flying 306 missions, including some food drops over occupied Holland. They were the only group to fly from this base. The 100th became notorious as a result of several missions where they suffered spectacular losses of 12 and 15 aircraft on a single mission. There were even rumors that the Luftwaffe was singling out the 100th group, but this was untrue and actually impractical in the heat of combat. While these large losses made the group stand out from the others, it was just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The overall losses of the group weren't all that different from other groups in combat for a similar period of time.

We'll keep you informed of how things develop, but if it wasn't for HMVF, this might never have started!

Both Bodges Dodge and my Jeep are painted to represent US 8th Air Force

There are plenty of people doing the Big Red 1, 101st Airborne etc, but hardly anyone in the north of the country doing USAAF.

Congratulations to you all and an absolutely good move. Your quote above is near perfection.

I think the topic of representation is one that needs to be 'debated'. Don't get me wrong - I love it all but in a historical term we need to 'broaden' the approach. This is why I like what Sir Paul Conner has done....there was life or perhaps I should say 'death' after WW2.

It will come together for you guys and HMVF is here to help in anyway it can.

I wish you well.

Jack.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished painting a sign for the group, see attached. 8th AF badge one side and the 100th Bomb Group badge the other. No doubt a web address will follow in time. I should probably add a HMVF logo since we were brought together through this site!

We're hoping we can get the vehicles together for some shows this year, but need to compare diary dates. Since I can trailer the jeep places, it will be easier to get the jeep to the West coast than getting the Dodge to the East, but that's not an excuse for Bodge not to travel!

No doubt we'll be talking more at 'Bolero' shortly.

Steve

We're drawing up a plan of operations for next year where hopefully we'll be able to get together to put up a few displays (& with a bit of luck might get one in before the end of this season!)

I just need to get me act together and get the truck finished

...3 more squares to go :whistle: