WW1 family history

Delboy

I've been researching my family history on and off for a while, been off sick for a few days so have been dabbling again.

Hit a brickwall with the lack of WW1 service records, if you don't know lots were lost in a fire and some were thinned out, about 30% are supposed to exist now.

Anyway, my maternal gf was enlisted into the Army Service Corps and from his reg. no. I know he was in Mechanical Transport, Mum says he was a driver and was in Turkey.

As like many soldiers of his time he never spoke of his experiences. Come WW2, he managed to get out of Jersey with his family before the occupation.

My question is, does anyone know how I can find out anymore info, any museums that might be worth contacting etc?

I know the Agate ware shop. Will be over there in May for Liberation Day. If he lived there prior to WW1 then he would have been part of the Royal Militia Island of Jersey. Contrary to popular belief there WAS a place in the United Kingdom where military service was compusory, the Island. However, Jerseymen could only be conscripted to fight abroad 'To assist the Monarch to regain the throne, or to release the Monarch from captivity'. In the Great War the law was changed to allow conscription to the general forces. Many men left the Militia to join up as individuals. There was a small group joined up and became part of the 7th (Srvice ) Battalion Royal Irish Rifles and subsequently the Hampshire Regiment. So he maybe listed on the Milita roles, depending on where he lived on the Island. The rest of the Militia performed gaurd duty at the St Quen's POW camp, just ner the pond.

Tony B

He was in England prior to WW1, lived in Jersey post-war up to the occupation, but didn't return afterwards.

GWT

The problem I have is I don't have his records so don't know where he went or when. Mum said he was in Turkey but that is all I know.

I've looked on the RLC database and Ancestry etc but not found anything other than he medal roll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Tony B

He was in England prior to WW1, lived in Jersey post-war up to the occupation, but didn't return afterwards.

GWT

The problem I have is I don't have his records so don't know where he went or when. Mum said he was in Turkey but that is all I know.

I've looked on the RLC database and Ancestry etc but not found anything other than he medal roll.

Edited by Bob Lancaster III

Have you tried the CRO Absent Voters lists to find the number of he's M.T. Coy?

M2/082040 is within a run of numbers when about 40 605th M.T. Coy RASC men drowned due to the SS Citta Di Palermo

hitting a mine (Brindisi, Italy to Durazzo, Albania ?) on the 8th January 1916. Obviously that does not mean Frank G Rumming was aboard. On [CWGC] site read historical notes for Haidar Pasha Cemetery, Turkey.