USAF to close UK bases

Nick Johns

Mildenhall, Alconberry, Molesworth to close, Lakenheath to remain open

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-30725366

Thought Alconbury was almost closed anyway, most of it is nowan industrial estate

Molesworth also no great presence I think since the cruise missiles left all those years ago

I may be wrong though (and often am!!)

I was part of a crew that was building blast proof concrete walls around the fuel pumping depots at Mildenhall in the winter of 1984/85 ........It was a grand place to be in those days .....It was just like little America with hundreds of awesome Yank cars and pick ups zooming about all over the place...there must have been thousands of servicemen stationed there and the local pubs around West Row Village even had $ / £ exchange rate signs up behind the bars .....

...I was there in a B&B for about 3 months and loved it .....apart from how cold it was in Jan /Feb :)

The wind came in like a razor sharp lance from the North Sea with very little between the airbase and the coast to slow it down ....Christamighty was it ever cold :) One day I was talking to a US Airforce fella who had just flown in from an airbase in Texas..........he was in a full zip up arctic 'over suite' and matching boots and he was bitterly cold and shivering dreadfully ..we got chatting and I asked him what he thought of the UK so far?....to which he replied

" well....it seems a lovely place buddy ......but is it always so ******* cold here ?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

It seems a real shame that it's closing ....are the RAF going to keep it open for anything or is that it ? Kaputt?

• 2 months later...

Just come across this. Was on Mildenhall the weekend. It's earmarked for closure 2020. But a friend has just had his tour extension denied which would have took just him to 2018. So everyone is assuming it's going before then.

Operations are being transferred with the 100th ARW being located to Ramstein.

Lakenheath and Feltwell will remain open and the Base size increased with a possibility of two new squadrons augmenting the three already there which will transfer over to the F35 and F22. Lakenheath will be the last front line USAFE fighter station in western Europe.

Thought Alconbury was almost closed anyway, most of it is nowan industrial estate

Molesworth also no great presence I think since the cruise missiles left all those years ago

I may be wrong though (and often am!!)

No you are absolutely right. As per the bottom of the article, there's very little USAF left at Alconbury. When I was sorting my deceased father in law's estate two years ago, I believed then they had completely gone. Sure there were RAF or MOD police on the gate.

As mentioned, the runway is now a container park.