Age of MV owners?

LarryH57

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but look at the company name for one of the most respected of British makes. ...... Scammell Lorries Ltd ..... says it all!

A truck in those days was either something that ran on a railway or a light goods carrying vehicle at the lower weight range, hence pick-up truck and anything up to a couple of tons payload.

In British military wartime parlance Truck = 15cwt post war 1ton above that Lorry. Wagon also refers to what is now commonly known as a truck but thank you for spelling out for me I obviously have little knowledge of the subject so keen to learn

Yes, you can have named drivers on your policy, for which you pay so they can play, but as I said, if they have an incident or points, you could be left un-insured. They can't have their own insurance on a vehicle that doesn't belong to them.

Yes Steve,you are right they must be named drivers as you say. You are however wrong with regard to the policy, I have up to four drivers, granted they must be over 30 no bumps or points. As i would only allow trusted people to drive I'm sure they would inform me of any problems.....we play fair down south...lol.

My policy also includes FULL UK & EUROPEAN brakedown cover, granted limited to 4/5( I'm not sure) call outs per year, but then if you had any more, time to start sorting the vehicle.

Again you are correct they cannot insure a vehicle (normally) that is not owned by them,but they can drive (again normally) a vehicle on a third party basis.Not ideal granted but in an urgent case that would work for me.

Sounds like you may need to shop around when your renewal comes up my friend try looking at the banner on HMVF :cheesy:

I changed insurer for my renewal and have 4 vehicles on my policy. Any driver over 25 can drive them at my discretion and one of the vehicles on the policy is insured by me but not owned by me. So it is possible. It is well worth ringing round as I gained a lot and at the same time I'm paying a lot less.

Ed

You're missing the point ( partially ), another driver can't insure a vehicle they don't own, and I won't pay for someone else on my policy just so they have a vehicle to drive. I'm with Cherished Vehicle Insurance for all three vehicles. Anyone can get someone added to their policy, at a cost, but I haven't the money or interest to pay over the odds insurance so someone could drive my vehicles, whether a new starter to the hobby or not. The only way I'd let someone drive is if they had their own policy, in their name, paid by them, but insurers won't do it. I don't trust anyone that I would be the first person they called when they had an accident, and then I'd be leaving myself wide open to being uninsured.

Money I believe is the main factor for people not coming into the hobby. Money has been tight for most over the last few years, and as mentioned before, young people have other priorities. I don't see that changing, so will all the will in the world, the vast majority of people coming to the hobby will be middle aged or older.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

[QUOTE=Jessie The Jeep;432367]You're missing the point ( partially ), another driver can't insure a vehicle they don't own, and I won't pay for someone else on my policy just so they have a vehicle to drive. I'm with Cherished Vehicle Insurance for all three vehicles. Anyone can get someone added to their policy, at a cost, but I haven't the money or interest to pay over the odds insurance so someone could drive my vehicles, whether a new starter to the hobby or not. The only way I'd let someone drive is if they had their own policy, in their name, paid by them, but insurers won't do it. I don't trust anyone that I would be the first person they called when they had an accident, and then I'd be leaving myself wide open to being uninsured.

Money I believe is the main factor for people not coming into the hobby. Money has been tight for most over the last few years, and as mentioned before, young people have other priorities. I don't see that changing, so will all the will in the world, the vast majority of people coming to the hobby will be middle aged or older.[/quote

Sorry Steve your missing what I am saying my policy, at one price covers me and THREE other people with NO extra cost.

I understand that when you make alterations mid term there will be a cost involved as there is on most polices.

Its a shame you dont trust anyone, do you not even have friends or mates that you trust.....sad if you don't.

........Sorry Steve your missing what I am saying my policy, at one price covers me and THREE other people with NO extra cost.....

That doesn't solve the problem, just leaves you open to being uninsured if they don't declare incidents when driving their own vehicles.

Its a shame you dont trust anyone, do you not even have friends or mates that you trust.....sad if you don't.

They have vehicles of their own and have no need to drive mine, plus they all live 30+ miles away, or they have other hobbies. Many people around here who don't have vehicles, have just got into the re-enacting scene. Only a few hundred pounds investment rather than several thousand.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

That doesn't solve the problem, just leaves you open to being uninsured.

How does that leave me open to being insured. They are named drivers,no bumps and no points. Fully comp. FULL STOP.

Now IF you REALLY know something that the rest of us do not please tell, I and many other people would I'm sure very interested.

I cant help thinking some one is confusing you.

Not confused at all, it's quite simple.

.....They are named drivers,no bumps and no points. Fully comp. FULL STOP.......

Well if you are absolutely sure of those facts every time they drive your vehicles, you don't have a problem. Insurance companies want disclosure of everything, driving, medical and if there's a slip up ( in their normal car ), and they aren't informed, that's you will potentially have a problem. There's nothing else to add.

None of that however helps someone young who is interested in the MV scene, to buy a vehicle. There's little choice these days for a cheap way into the hobby. There will be a few in a position to start early, but for most, spare cash won't be available until later life.

Not confused at all, it's quite simple.

Well if you are absolutely sure of those facts every time they drive your vehicles, you don't have a problem. Insurance companies want disclosure of everything, driving, medical and if there's a slip up ( in their normal car ), and they aren't informed, that's you will potentially have a problem. There's nothing else to add.

None of that however helps someone young who is interested in the MV scene, to buy a vehicle. There's little choice these days for a cheap way into the hobby. There will be a few in a position to start early, but for most, spare cash won't be available until later life.

Your right there is nothing to add. I am VERY carefull with all my insurance and also I trust the people that drive my vehicles....its leads to a happier life. Its interesting why you have edited quite a number of your posts on this subject though.

On another note I totally agree with your comments re younger people. :)

Clarity; you didn't understand them as they were first written.

I understood, I was saying they could be insured,you were saying they could not.

What I had not taken into consideration is that you were saying you did not want to part with any more money, which I completely understand....now lets get out of the playground and get indoors in the warm.

Well if being older(er) is of benefit when it comes to the cost of insuring MVs, then the opposite is true for younger members. Something therefore needs to be done to help out the under 25s as I doubt that age has anything to do with the likelihood of an accident involving an MV.