Age of MV owners?

LarryH57

I have unbroken membership from joining MVCG in 1978. Cannot recollect you at club events though Larry and I do know MVT members from across the country and beyond.
marinus veldhuisin, bob coult, mick dent chris sales e j reynokds jill poole roland poole all from the 70s !!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am 23 and i bought my first military vehicle in October 2014 now a sensible person would start of with a small Dodge or a GMC but being the type of guy who's smallest vehicle is a modified defender 90 this wasn't the case. so i jumped in with both feet and purchased a 1943 diamond t 969A which i am just enjoying more and more and look forward to each weekend. all i can say is i am glad petrol is getting cheaper so happy days :D.

regards sam

i am 23 and i bought my first military vehicle in October 2014 now a sensible person would start of with a small Dodge or a GMC but being the type of guy who's smallest vehicle is a modified defender 90 this wasn't the case. so i jumped in with both feet and purchased a 1943 diamond t 969A which i am just enjoying more and more and look forward to each weekend. all i can say is i am glad petrol is getting cheaper so happy days :D.

regards sam

My first, and so far only, MV is a Saracen Mk 5. Sometimes you just have to jump in the deep end :D

Cheers,

Terry

Richard, in 1970s I didn't go to MVCG meetings only events, as I was heavily in to the TA in those days. I did go on the 35th Anniversary Normandy Tour in 1979, and wrote an article for Windscreen a few issues ago. Anyway its encouraging the responses from the younger MV owners, so keep up the good work.

Richard, in 1970s I didn't go to MVCG meetings only events, as I was heavily in to the TA in those days. I did go on the 35th Anniversary Normandy Tour in 1979, and wrote an article for Windscreen a few issues ago. Anyway its encouraging the responses from the younger MV owners, so keep up the good work.

Thanks Larry, I did read your recent article, just remembered it! In 1979 I was doing restoration work on a Morris Commercial C4 for a friend.

Been thinking about this all day..................and have scared myself!!

I have been involved with military vehicles in one shape form or another starting I suppose with Austin K9's when I was 10 or 11 (driving them!!) Then Bedford QL's a Canadian Dodge weapons carrier (converted to a crane) a Commer cab Ford. These were all used by my Dad in his business.

Then started to to get interested in preserving them with OY Bedfords, MW Bedfords, GMC's etc etc

Just worked it out that that amounts to nearly 50 years

Let you work out how old I am!!!

As one of the old boys .I took the ALBION to 35th NORMANDY event .The first time I had been out of the country .Best event I have ever been to .Try driving the ALBION the wrong side of the road ????. The ALBION is 5 years younger than me (WORK IT OUT ).Still go to the ESSEX MVT meetings . All the old boys help the younger members with any problems & restorations .I think that's why our club goes on growing (AND STILL NO GREY HAIR ) T CORBIN

Does owning a Triang pedal Jeep in 1961 count.....because thats when I started.

I'm not counting the inter years as my kids needed, socks shoes coats hats gloves books paper pencils pens jumpers trousers...playschool, rainbows beavers guides cubs scouts venture scouts young leader sixthform and uni. & near 15 years charity work

I needed morgtgage food leccy gas....................

You get the picture, familly always came first, my interest was ALWAYS bottom of the pile, but now brakes are OFF.

Edited by gas 44

gas 44 said:
Does owning a Triang pedal Jeep in 1961 count...........

I had one of these from about 4 years old. Not sure of the manufacturer, it didn't seem to matter back then, but I'm told it was one of the first onto the D-Day beaches

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

I had one of these from about 4 years old. Not sure of the manufacturer, it didn't seem to matter back then, but I'm told it was one of the first onto the D-Day beaches :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100400[/ATTACH]

Doubtful it was first to land on d day, I am sure its the original centre steer Land Rover though!!!!

I don't have any kids myself, but my 3 year old nephew loves my "tank" and always keeps asking me when he can go to the "tank house" (the museum).

He also likes working on it (handing me tools and stuff) and cleaning it, because "we're men and men fix things".

I guess that there is some hope for the future :D

Cheers,

Terry

I don't have any kids myself, but my 3 year old nephew loves my "tank" and always keeps asking me when he can go to the "tank house" (the museum).

He also likes working on it (handing me tools and stuff) and cleaning it, because "we're men and men fix things".

I guess that there is some hope for the future :D

Cheers,

Terry

Joy of things like Grandkids and Nephew's? You can wind them up , then hand them back. :D

Joy of things like Grandkids and Nephew's? You can wind them up , then hand them back. :D

Yes, absolutely that. I took him to the movies the other day, loaded him up on sugar and fizzy drinks and then palmed him off back to my sister :D

Cheers,

Terry

Ive been doing this since i was in my early 20's......im 46 on the outside now(but still early 20's in my head!) - for most im guessing its the first "in"....my "in" came in the form of a DKW munga which i restored and ran in(cringing with embarrasment......Africa corps markings and paint scheme).....its like getting on the housing market...once youve got your first - it gets easier....but which is the cheap "in" nowadays ? - in my day it was a hotchkiss or a gmc - i remeber you could take your pick of Jimmys on the road and in good order for next to nothing (yes i know its all comparable and inflation / vehicle markets rising etc) - but there was always a vehicle of choice for someone keen to get started.

Today.... landrovers ? - if you are talking wartime i guess a Bedford MW or Motorcycle is the cheapest option ? - but they are not cheap ! Expecting to pay between £5000 - £10,000 for a weekend vehicle is a big ask for anyone young or old who wants to get into the hobby - personally i think they should be commended and congratulated / publically if possible for entering into the hobby and keeping the history / memories alive

- i guess my advice would be - become a drivers mate...co-drive - occasional drive etc....many owners have more vehicles than they can drive and would welcome a freind to bring a vehicle along to an event and keep things moving and free....i know its not the same as having your own - but it gives you a good idea of life with an mv and the social side that goes with it...Start off by joining a local imps or mvt area and do some networking.

Insurance is the issue for me, letting someone else drive my vehicles. They can drive on their own insurance 3rd party, but if there's an accident, I could well loose my vehicle, or be faced with a huge repair bill to fix it. A friend can't be fully comp insured on a vehicle they don't own; ( their own insurance ), according to the Mrs who is an office manager in a financial services company.

Then what if they have a shunt in their normal car, or points on their license, and don't let me know so I can tell my MV insurance? That's a nice get out clause if I have a ding.

So now, the only people who drive my vehicles are Lynne and myself.

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

- i guess my advice would be - become a drivers mate...co-drive - occasional drive etc....many owners have more vehicles than they can drive and would welcome a freind to bring a vehicle along to an event and keep things moving and free....i know its not the same as having your own - but it gives you a good idea of life with an mv and the social side that goes with it...Start off by joining a local imps or mvt area and do some networking.

I can second this, due to my work my dodge is still in restoration and my wolf is now my everyday wagon, so when I have a bit of time off its nice to give a friend a nudge and get out in an old beasty that would of properly sat in the shed for a few more months due to wifey giving him other jobs to do.

I have even been issued a mates Morris C8 for the Guernsey lib day parade as he can't drive three at once :D

I was thinking the other evening that if MV owners and members of the MVT and IMPS with grey hair were excluded, how many people would be left to carry on these clubs?

It seems the average age is well over 50. Something needs to be done to encourage younger members.

What’s with age, I have always had an interest in large mechanical objects that go. Born to the end of the forties grew up in the country where ex-military vehicle bore the brunt of agricultural transport. Rode on the top of hay piled high on the back of GMC’s QL’s and OY’s not forgetting K6’s and watched fascinated as Matador tree loggers cleared the local woods. Got involved with preservation in my teens drove my first Military lorry (yes lorry I’m English not truck) a Karrier K-6 followed swiftly by International Half track then a Ford jeep and haven’t stopped since.

In the beginning I couldn't afford a hobby vehicle along with marriage and family so joined a preservation group with a Lancaster and other things on an airfield in Suffolk till that flew away (local politics). Moved on to Duxford before it was a museum and what it is today, staying for 40-plus years working as a volunteer and enjoying every moment.

Have owned an assortment of ex-military vehicles along the way armour tracked and wheeled plus soft skins but not any longer do help friends with their restorations and in return I have the pleasure of enjoying this hobby. Yes I have gray hair I’m getting old my offspring tell me that I have grandchildren and the pleasures they bring I have a mindset that say’s I'm still in my prime only things take a little longer now than way back when.

When you enjoy your hobby and the people in it age becomes irrelevant, the best way in is not owning a vehicle and all the tut but getting to know like minded individuals listening and being of help and most of all enjoy. :yawn:

On the handbook for my Austin K9, it's called a truck. Designed and built in Great Britain. :)

Yes but look at the company name for one of the most respected of British makes. ...... Scammell Lorries Ltd ..... says it all!

A truck in those days was either something that ran on a railway or a light goods carrying vehicle at the lower weight range, hence pick-up truck and anything up to a couple of tons payload.

Yes but look at the company name for one of the most respected of British makes. ...... Scammell Lorries Ltd ..... says it all!

A truck in those days was either something that ran on a railway or a light goods carrying vehicle at the lower weight range, hence pick-up truck and anything up to a couple of tons payload.

Aha, I see. Thanks for clearing that up, It's come up a few times before and always referred back to the handbook.

Cheers,

Austin

"A friend can't be fully comp insured on a vehicle they don't own ( according to the Mrs who is an office manager in a financial services company."

Look for another insurance company then....mine covers upto four drivers (if over 30 and no points or bumps.) fully comp.