Painting

terrierman

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JOHN the RLC MUSEUM only hold cards for the army vehicles you could try a freedom of information request the e-mail address and detail s are on to days post of the thread Austin K9 GS

Hi Wally,

Yes I Sent them an Email about 2 months back and havnt heard anything yet, although at the time you said it would take a while.

Would you like to see a picture of the engine colour before I painted it.

Regards

John

JOHN

l would send them a reminder a FOI request normally takes no more than two to three weeks the delay might be due to the Christmas and new year break but it cannot hurt yes l would like to see a picture of the engine before you painted it

REGARDS WALLY

Here you are Wally

engine%20001.jpg

Regards

John.

Have to say, I've never been very sure about this colour. I used to think of it as Eau-de-Nil (BS381C 216), but it's not as intensely green as the Eau-de-Nil used in cabs and bodies. When I found out the colour used in that era for engines was (supposed to be) sky blue (BS381C 101) I assumed it must be sky blue, but it's certainly more green than that.

Having said that, any original paint is over 50 years old now and has been subjected to repeated heating and cooling over that time, plus oil, petrol, degreaser, steam cleaning and weathering, so how meaningful the colour we see is I don't know. Could be Eau-de-Nil that fades light or Sky Blue that fades green. If we're right that Austin painted engines like that from the factory, it could be their own interpretation.

Certainly the three very knowledgeable people here say Sky Blue for MoD recons, from experience from 1965 and 1974 respectively, and from documentation from 1950-ish.

On a similar tack I've just found some K9 fuel pumps in the clearout some of which are black, some MBG.

Edited by Sean N

• 4 weeks later...

I had a look at my vehicles today, comparing engine colour with the inside of the radio bodies on the K9s and also a colour chart.

Both K9s plus engine spares are all without a shadow of a doubt (faded and oily) Eau de Nil, not sky blue. The engine in the (FJ registration) RL is also Eau-de-Nil, as is the B81 in the Stalwart.

JOHN the RLC MUSEUM only hold cards for the army vehicles you could try a freedom of information request the e-mail address and detail s are on to days post of the thread Austin K9 GS

No reply yet Wally, its the second time ive applied for the details of my truck under the freedom of information act

john l am disappointed in the lack of a reply from the MOD under the FOI they are generally very good in replying

there was a suggestion that your K9 was EX RAF have you tried the RAF MUSEUM at HENDON if you pm me with the details

l will see if there is a record of it in my files

REGARDS WALLY

john l am disappointed in the lack of a reply from the MOD under the FOI they are generally very good in replying

there was a suggestion that your K9 was EX RAF have you tried the RAF MUSEUM at HENDON if you pm me with the details

l will see if there is a record of it in my files

REGARDS WALLY

Thanks Wally,

PM Sent

Regards

John

• 2 months later...

010.jpg

i took couple of pics from the engine

it looks Deep Bronze Green ... the weather was cloudy and rainy

it looks original..not overpainted

i forgot CRC- Brackleen at home so difficult to say if it is lighter because of dirt

pekka

007.jpg

009.jpg

Probably Mid Bronze Green, that's what I painted mine, Wally or Sean will know

Regards

John

yes...it is very likely Mid Bronze Green

color image always changes slightly

depending on the angle... the light is reflected.

the week earlier in bright sunlight it looked lighter than in the picture taken in cloudy weather yesterday

pekka

yes...it is very likely Mid Bronze Green

color image always changes slightly

depending on the angle... the light is reflected.

the week earlier in bright sunlight it looked lighter than in the picture taken in cloudy weather yesterday

pekka

When will you be starting the Restoration Pekka

When will you be starting the Restoration Pekka

yesterday me and my wife went to look at it my friend farm

at the moment K 9 looks ..little rust and parting loose paint

and it smells old turpentine , old grease and moss...every wifes dream !

restoration project:

i have started it ..i took off one (rusted) left wing / fender bolt ..it was peace of cake ..

i have acquired and also made some of the tinsmith tools for the other projects (Ferrets)

and now welding auto body rotisserie for the K 9 ..

it looks that i have to make and weld whole cabin floor :banana:

pekka

I took couple of pics from the engine

it looks Deep Bronze Green ... the weather was cloudy and rainy

it looks original..not overpainted

pekka

Pekka, have to say it looks deep bronze green to me. Even if you assume the image colours aren't accurate, the engine looks the same colour as the cab underbonnet colour which you have to assume is deep bronze green.

Having said that, from what we've put together on this topic you could paint it either deep bronze green, mid bronze green or eau de nil and be accurate (but not sky blue!)

Looks as though there is grey underneath, though that may be primer.

i have started it ... it looks that i have to make and weld whole cabin floor

pekka

I'm afraid that's pretty usual on K9s! Been there, done that...