Painting

terrierman

If you're making as good a job of it as it looks on FB you won't need to hide any faults.

You could spray matt NATO green and brush black but that puts it roughly post-1968. Not sure that makes any practical difference though.

Thanks Sean,

Didn't know you were into facebook, everything seems to be coming together now

Ive already bought the Deep Bronze Green paint so will paint it with that.

Sean would the engine fan have been painted red when it left the factory

Regards

John

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John, I'd leave it just plain DBG then. I have seen a photo of an in-service K9 with black over DBG but it looks odd & you'll have a nightmare with the rivet counters. Do the prep thoroughly & it'll look fine in DBG.

Never seen or heard of a factory red engine, and I don't see Austin having used it. From what I've seen I think early engines were DBG (or a very similar dark green) and then for much of the production run they were using sky blue (BS381C 101) straight from the factory, but Richard, Wally or others may know better.

I don't get involved with FB but I had to have a look after you told me about that group.

Hi John, I'd leave it just plain DBG then. I have seen a photo of an in-service K9 with black over DBG but it looks odd & you'll have a nightmare with the rivet counters. Do the prep thoroughly & it'll look fine in DBG.

Never seen or heard of a factory red engine, and I don't see Austin having used it. From what I've seen I think early engines were DBG (or a very similar dark green) and then for much of the production run they were using sky blue (BS381C 101) straight from the factory, but Richard, Wally or others may know better.

I don't get involved with FB but I had to have a look after you told me about that group.

Thanks Sean

Il leave it as you say just dbg,

I asked about the engine fan being red as mine is, but it could be red oxide,

Glad you enjoyed the Album

Regards

John

John, sorry, I missed the fan question.

JOHN on the question of the colour of the fan on a factory fitted engine the engine would be mid bronze green and the fan

black on a military replacement engine the engine would be sky blue and so would the fan

Hi Wally, happy to bow to your vastly superior knowledge, but I wonder whether K9 engines followed the 'system'. I've seen a fair few K9s in service / recently ex-service or where the engines were apparently untouched (no overhaul listed in history or chassis plate), and they've all been sky blue except for some early vehicles. I wonder, as I say, whether Austin were painting them sky blue straight from factory for a large part of the production run? I know there's a suggestion a similar thing happened with Champs.

MORNING SEAN

In the collection at Beverley we had at one time four K9s the reason l made the distinction in engine colours is two had the mid bronze green engines these had never been changed according to there history card details and they had spent a lot of there time held in storage until they came to Beverley the third a water bowser 10 BP 45 had the sky blue engine we also had one on loan to bovington and l believe that at one time they used it to attend shows in fairness I liked the mid bronze green colour l think you will find more sky blue engines fitted to K9s than the green ones

REGARDS WALLY

MORNING SEAN

In the collection at Beverley we had at one time four K9s the reason l made the distinction in engine colours is two had the mid bronze green engines these had never been changed according to there history card details and they had spent a lot of there time held in storage until they came to Beverley the third a water bowser 10 BP 45 had the sky blue engine we also had one on loan to bovington and l believe that at one time they used it to attend shows in fairness I liked the mid bronze green colour l think you will find more sky blue engines fitted to K9s than the green ones

REGARDS WALLY

Good morning Wally, I don't suppose you know where those K9's are now do you?

I've never seen a bowser in the metal.

Cheers,

Austin

AUSTIN the ex bovington one was bought by a forum member just lately the bowser was returned to the mod in 1990 the

ffw was offered to the royal signals museum but they declined and was returned to mod again 1990 one of the GS was also returned to the mod in the same year the decision to dispose was not mine

AUSTIN the ex bovington one was bought by a forum member just lately the bowser was returned to the mod in 1990 the

ffw was offered to the royal signals museum but they declined and was returned to mod again 1990 one of the GS was also returned to the mod in the same year the decision to dispose was not mine

Thanks for the reply Wally. I hope there is a military storage area somewhere with those K9's just waiting to be found :D Seems to be quite a few coming K9's coming out of hiding lately.

Sorry for the thread highjack John. :blush:

Thanks for the reply Wally. I hope there is a military storage area somewhere with those K9's just waiting to be found :D Seems to be quite a few coming K9's coming out of hiding lately.

Sorry for the thread highjack John. :blush:

:cheesy: Im Enjoying it Austin.

In the collection at Beverley we had at one time four K9s ... two had the mid bronze green engines these had never been changed according to there history card details and they had spent a lot of their time held in storage until they came to Beverley the third a water bowser 10 BP 45 had the sky blue engine...

Thanks Wally, that's interesting. Oddly the one colour I can't remember seeing on a K9 engine is mid bronze green. I will have to check on my early vehicle now, I'm sure it's DBG but it's tucked at the back of the shed and it's a long time since I looked at the engine!

AUSTIN the ex bovington one was bought by a forum member just lately the bowser was returned to the mod in 1990 the ffw was offered to the royal signals museum but they declined and was returned to mod again 1990 one of the GS was also returned to the mod in the same year

Wally, can you recall the service registrations for any of these? I bought several from Aston Down in the 1990s, just wondering if any were the same ones and found their way out that way. Having said that, it would have to be the FFW as I didn't see any GS.

SEAN the ex bovington one was 37 BG 78 here s one for you to ponder we also had the FV 16013 AMBULANCE one ton

multi -fuel it also had its engine in the middle bronze green a fact confirmed by a forum member who had it on loan

REGARDS WALLY

Hi Wally,

I think the green on the Austin engines that you mention is the Austin / BMC green that all their commercial and most car engines were painted at one time. A friend has one of the last Austin badged lorries, a WF which had the updated Loadstar cab and one piece windscreen. This has its original Austin 4 litre petrol still in it and is that lighter green, not sure it is Middle Bronze Green, thought it was refer to as something else. Have tin of paint somewhere, will check out the BS name and number on it.

SEAN the ex bovington one was 37 BG 78 here s one for you to ponder we also had the FV 16013 AMBULANCE one ton

multi -fuel it also had its engine in the middle bronze green a fact confirmed by a forum member who had it on loan

REGARDS WALLY

Evening Wally. I hung fire on a reply as I wanted to check the engine colour on my early K9 - which I haven't looked at in a long time! It's sky blue, but interestingly all the bits you'd keep if you were changing engines - air filter plumbing and the like - are all DBG (and definitely DBG not MBG). This one was cast in 1988 and came straight to me unmolested.

Am I right in remembering Austin using MBG pre-1952 and black before that (not on K9s, just generally)?

What happened to the ambulance?

SEAN the fact that the items you mentioned are deep bronze green does not surprise me as to the pre 1952 colour l have

got to admit that most wartime engines seem to have been black though l have come across a few manufactures engines in other colours from that wartime period the ambulance like most of the collection at Beverley was taken on by the NATIONAL

ARMY MUSEUM its registration number is RGX 223

REGARDS WALLY

Looks good, John.

Did you get a history for the truck? It's an RAF engine, though I suppose it may have been changed or converted. I see someone's put an alternator on, as well.

Hi Sean,

Applied for the history of the truck but they said no record could be found,

How do you know its an RAF Engine.

Previous owner changed the electrics and added the alternator

Regards

John