Painting

terrierman

Im in two minds as you probably know im restoring my Austin K9

Do I Spray paint it or Brush paint it.

Not sure what I Want, do I want a truck that looks like its just come out of the factory or is it better to have the look of a truck that was painted in the field by hand.

What do you think would fit in better with the era

Regards

John

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer here.

Its your truck, you paint it how you like, if you can spray then you get a better overall finnish.But your right for that "in Unit/in field" look then slap it on with a brush.

Just remember once its been slaped on its a lot of work to rub down to get that "factory" fresh look.

I think that all vehicles, at some stage would have had that factory look.

John, as gas 44 says, your truck, your choice.

As you said 'fit in better with the era' I assume you're thinking as it was in the '50s? In that case, DBG gloss, prep it properly and spray it. From my experience with K9s they all started that way until there was a reason to repaint them - they got sent to Suez or Aden, for example, or they survived to the NATO green era - then they got the 4" brush!

Dad bought two K9's straight ex ministry in around 1967/68

They were both cargo versions (one was FFW with screened ignition) and were as new (only got a couple of hundred miles on them even the tool kits were in the greased paper)

I suspect these had never been issued

They were gloss DBG and I would suggest were sprayed (cant confirm that it was a long time ago) as they would have come out of the factory

Later on at school (197?? we had a couple of wireless versions visit to maintain the school CCF radio gear (19 sets and 62 sets!!)

These were matt green with black camoflage, again dont know whether brush or sprayed but suspect a 4" brush!!

When the unit in which I served in 1960 was issued with a K9, it was without any signs on it - I volunteered to paint them on and used some oridinary sellotape as a masking tape. When I took the tape off after the paint on the signs had dried, it took off some of the green as well - so I can certainly confirm that the green on that one was hand painted.

Tony

Lets remember that these vehicles came in the first place from commercial factorties. Agreed that they were military spec and the powers that be (army navy airforce) would have had huge input. But I cant believe that any of them would have specified "hand painted" on the "options list".

The factories I am sure would have painted them the most cost effective way.....spraying. Once in service of course the books will say other methods, you might not have spray guns in Barracks/ Desert/forest.

My impression with the vehicles I have worked on is that some seperate panels were painted BEFORE assembly and even in the 40's these appear spayed.

I have absolutely no doubt your vehicle would have been sprayed high gloss DBG at the factory. Whether it later was resprayed or painted by hand would depend on unit facilities, so two versions of paint were available to be demanded from stores.

These are listed in Vocabulary of Army Ordnance Stores (VAOS) Section H1(a) Paints dopes & varnishes. Later listed in the Catalogue of Army Ordnance Stores (COSA) Section H1(a) that then became H1(1).

App0248.jpg

I couldn't resist posting this photo, which shows how the painting was done, in a 1932 booklet from the General Omnibus Co. in London. Maybe this is high speed brush painting.

Andrew

If you look closely the guy is using a watering can, the excess being caught in the trough!!

A guy I worked with was a coach painter in the carriage works in Derby, they brush painted railway carriages (late 70's)

Railway carriages were certainly brush painted right into the '80s, and I know of bus companies who were brush painting into the '90s. You can still buy coach paint for brushing which flows out really well, but some of the modern synthetics don't do a bad job with brush or roller.

Just to add to what Clive said, from my K9 experience all the trucks appear to have been sprayed from the factory. I have had ones that were repainted NATO green or NATO green & black which were sprayed, and ones which were brushed. Oddly green and black ones often appeared to have been sprayed green and then the black brushed on!

From what I've seen and heard the quality and type of painting often depended on who was doing it and how much of a hurry they were in as well as facilities. I've seen MKs that went to the Gulf where everything - cab, body, tilt, glass, lights, tyres, the lot - had been sprayed with no attempt at masking, and then the overspray scraped off important areas!

I couldn't resist posting this photo, which shows how the painting was done, in a 1932 booklet from the General Omnibus Co. in London. Maybe this is high speed brush painting.

Andrew

Of course there is always an exception. I think you will find that is the 2nd or 3rd colour being applied and in that case a brush/roller would have been quicker than a whole lot of masking.....I still stick to MV's being sprayed before leaving factory.

Edited by gas 44

From what I've seen and heard the quality and type of painting often depended on who was doing it and how much of a hurry they were in as well as facilities. I've seen MKs that went to the Gulf where everything - cab, body, tilt, glass, lights, tyres, the lot - had been sprayed with no attempt at masking, and then the overspray scraped off important areas!

At the end of our Op Grapple tour the planties had to spray all their plant for hand over.

First a jet wash to get the muck off, then mask all glass and other important areas with normal grease, spray the whole thing NATO green, then brush paint the one third bit black. Finish with another jet wash to clean the grease off the windows!