MT500 Markings

Spood

Nearly finished giving my Armstrong MT500 a spruce up, (that would be "major project" ;)). Apparently the bike was from a REME unit in Germany and I was wondering if there should be any markings of any kind on it. Despite doing a lot of searching online I can't find any useful info. Anybody got any ideas?

20150101_150755.jpg

Trial.JPG

Hi Robin

The chap I bought it off was told this when he got it from the dealer LMS in Lichfield (still a main dealer for MT parts). Not 100% I know that's why I said apparently. It has got the right hand sidestand which I think indicates it was used in mainland Europe, but I may be wrong. Doesn't seem to be much info out there at all.

Don

• 1 month later...
Hi Robin

The chap I bought it off was told this when he got it from the dealer LMS in Lichfield (still a main dealer for MT parts). Not 100% I know that's why I said apparently. It has got the right hand sidestand which I think indicates it was used in mainland Europe, but I may be wrong. Doesn't seem to be much info out there at all.

Don

Hi Don, a report, if you can dig it up, would be the best idea as Robin has indicated, its a bit of work but well worth it for the Provedance. Bikes are tough as they ended up all over the place, and spent much of their time not being used.

I have a Canadian MT-500, and it has the side stand on the right as well, as they all did until Hardley Dangerous took it over, so that fact may be a bit miss-leading.

In doing some marking reserch on my own, I did see a number of pictures of UK MT's , and the markings vary quite a bit. Most have the Union Jack on the forward fender, but after that, its quite a mix, some with TAC signs, some with SIGS blue and white squares, some with just numbers drawn on the tank.

I was VERY fortunate with mine, as it had a servicing tag affixed to the frame under the fuel tank, showing its parent unit (1 Can. Div. Sigs. HQ) SoS in 1998

Good Luck!

Cheers

Nick

CWC Canada

• 3 weeks later...