Norton Big 4 sidecar details

Graham

I have built and ridden for a couple of year now a Royal Enfield WD/CO replica with military Norton Big 4 style sidecar and the winter project is to upgrade it all. I see from contemporary photos that the sidecar opening nearest the bike was covered by a canvas sheet. I would like to know how this is fastened. Turnbuckles, strap and loops or ...? Any help greatly appreciated.Re sidecar project 003.jpg

.... I forgot to add that I have now fitted a wide front mudguard and grab handle like the Norton. I bought the mudguard with the correct holes and even small holes for the side plate of eBay - it is aluminium - where the originals aluminium? Thanks.

This is how mine is Graham. I have a small diameter rod (1/4"?) sewn in along the top edge, and a total of 5 turn-buckles. All the original mudguards that I have seen are steel. And then you also have a steel valance on the nearside of the front wheel. Ron

Big 4 329.jpg

Big 4 234.jpg

Thank you Ron. Just what I wanted to know. I didn't know there was a steel rod along the top edge, it does make sense of course. I assume the opening covered by this removable canvas flap was to ease maintenance of the bike, I wish I had one on my Canterbury adult/child sidecar body in the 60's, it would have made life easier trying to sort my A10 :)

Also thanks for the info on the front mudguard, I suspected it should be steel. So someone must have made one from a wide ali blade, mine allows the girder forks to pass through holes as the Norton. No point in me being too concerned about authenticity seeing that the rest of the bike is a replica. Thank you.

Hi all, and sorry Ron, here the rivet counter police again.

There were only one type of studs and buckles used, and that were nickel plated ones, as pictured here;

scan0002b.jpg

Can be found at any good autojumble, think they are called "lift the dot" type.

The last contracts had a plain wooden enclosure, same size as the canvas screen, just screwed onto the sidecar body.

Must have a better picture somewhere, but cannot find it at the moment!

Re. the steel rod, would advise for stainless, as the steel will rust quickly in the canvas, and stainless is also sturdier, as all passengers will rest their leg against it!

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike

Lex I didn't know about the "Lift the Dot" fasteners. The picture in my parts lists are not that clear. However I have several of those left over from my boating days, so I've re-done my canvas. I'll go with the shape of mine though? My parts lists shown only 5 fixings. But what is the male fitting like? Is it like this type that has a single wood screw thread? Or the type on a plate with two screws? Ron

Big 4 331.jpg

Big 4 333.jpg

Scan-150105-0002.jpg

Ron, the single wood screw variety was used, but looking at various pictures, 2 types of screens were used, one with 5 buckles, and one with 6, how confusing!, and why can it never be simple???? anyway your one is also OK then, so you only have to replace the screwy thingies!! possibly 3 types then;, 6 buckles/5 buckles/all wood. but what was first the 5 or 6 buckle type, I have to research further.....

Have fun,

Lex

Edited by welbike
spelling

What have I started? I have used the dot type and they are a begger to undo. I made a canvas cover for the seat and used them on that but changed to the turn buckle so will probably use those on this flap. Nice to know, Lex, what it should look like. Thank you every one. Graham