1914 Dennis Lorry

BenHawkins

Nice progress Ben, I really enjoy your threads as I do like to see how parts are machined with cunning setups :thumbsup:

Oh and I too have a shaper :-D

Thanks Bernard, I certainly enjoy the challenge of making the parts with what I have available.

I could survive without the shaper but it is a cheap way to make swarf (no expensive cutters) and can often get on with the job whilst I am working on something else.

I centred the clutch on a rotary table to centre drill the holes for the clutch hub etc.

When I built up the old clutch into a pattern I had to reverse the taper so it would pull from the sand. With the head tilted to 12 degrees on the milling machine I decided I could return it to the original design.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124539&stc=1

After a few hours.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124540&stc=1

And finally back to a consistent wall thickness.attachment.php?attachmentid=124541&stc=1

IMG_3510s.jpg

IMG_3511s.jpg

IMG_3512s.jpg

We have been thinking about the cab build. My original sketches based on the catalogue and factory photos looked OK but I was not certain enough to commit to buying and cutting timber. Spending a few pounds on a couple of sheets of MDF seemed like a sensible idea and I cut them out with a jigsaw to see how it compared to the factory photo.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124582&stc=1

Bringing it outside to get a better look at the proportions.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124583&stc=1

Not too much space wasted between the door frame and the cab!

attachment.php?attachmentid=124584&stc=1

It looks about right.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124585&stc=1

And I have begun to modify the frame to allow for a more sensible clearance.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124586&stc=1

IMG_3513s.jpg

IMG_3516s.jpg

IMG_3519s.jpg

IMG_3522s.jpg

IMG_3524s.jpg

Edited by BenHawkins
Phots not displaying

Shame you can't just let a bit of air out of the tyres... :D;)

At least they can know that it will only ever get lower, as the tyres wear or fuel / water / load compresses the springs.

(I wonder if ratchet straps round the chassis and axle would compress the springs. I do that with my GasGas to get it into vans, but that has rather softer suspension)

I want to fit the gearbox fairly soon but the selector fork was not fitted to the new selector rod. We put the shafts and gears back in the gearbox so we could make sure we were putting the holes in the right place.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124817&stc=1

The selector fork was already drilled and tapped 3/16BSW so I used that hole to clamp the fork in place whilst marking the hole positions.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124818&stc=1

Then took the selector rod out again, used the centre finder to pick up my previous marks and drilled the pilot holes.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124819&stc=1

IMG_3566s.jpg

IMG_3568s.jpg

IMG_3570s.jpg

There is a hole in the bottom of the gearbox to allow the taper pins to be extracted, it also gives somewhere for the end of the taper pin reamer to go.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124820&stc=1

Unfortunately one of the taper pins has never properly lined up with this hole so although it was started in-situ it had to be finished on the bench. Once this hole was reamed out to remove all of the previous hole I found I did not have a taper pin to fit. I have ordered some more and this will give me a chance to clean the swarf out the gearbox and start making gaskets.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124821&stc=1

IMG_3572s.jpg

IMG_3574s.jpg

I have picked up the flywheel casting. It is quite heavy (ca. 70kg) so can stay in the boot of the car until I drop it off at a machine shop (sadly, it is too big for my lathe).

attachment.php?attachmentid=125029&stc=1

After bolting the stuffing box to the front of the gearbox I was able to push down the detent plungers with a screwdriver and push in the selector rods; starting with reverse and fitting the taper pins to secure the selector forks. Reverse uses a lever that pivots on a shoulder screw through the bottom of the casing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125030&stc=1

I then proceeded to fit the other two selector rods & forks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125031&stc=1

But as one of the bearings is noisy I have not fitted the shafts and gears yet.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125032&stc=1

IMG_3629s.jpg

IMG_3632s.jpg

IMG_3634s.jpg

IMG_3637s.jpg

The photos are not too exciting this week as I spent much of it in Warsaw.

After some more cleaning one of the bearings on the countershaft was still noisy so we pulled it off and pressed a new one on. The output shaft bearings were also noisy but I don't have one of the replacements yet.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125238&stc=1

But at least I could cut out the new gaskets.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125239&stc=1

IMG_3640s.jpg

IMG_3641s.jpg

The input shaft was not completely quiet so I decided to strip that down as well.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125404&stc=1

And then clean up and reassemble with new bearings.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125405&stc=1

And refitting the outer steel sleeve.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125406&stc=1

A new bearing was also fitted where the output shaft is supported.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125407&stc=1

IMG_3646s.jpg

IMG_3648s.jpg

IMG_3649s.jpg

IMG_3651s.jpg

Plenty of oil was applied to the gears, shafts and bearings to prevent them from going rusty whilst I sort the rest of the transmission out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125408&stc=1

After fitting the sliding gears and output shaft.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125409&stc=1

Refitting the top and countershaft covers with new gaskets and sealant.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125410&stc=1

IMG_3658s.jpg

IMG_3661s.jpg

IMG_3662s.jpg

I have had new felt seals punched out for the input and output shafts.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125411&stc=1

The input shaft seal is retained by a washer with six 3/16BSW screws soldered in and nuts fitted on the outside.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125412&stc=1

Just the output shaft cover and transmission brake to fit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125413&stc=1

I had to stop there and tile the kitchen; the glamorous assistant can have strange ideas about prioritisation. This gearbox has needed repairing for many decades, I have only been putting the tiling off for a couple of years.

IMG_3664s.jpg

IMG_3665s.jpg

IMG_3671s.jpg

I had a couple of lunchtimes to fill whilst waiting for bearings to arrive. One was used to drop the flywheel casting off at a machine shop with a lathe big enough for the job. The second was used to machine a cavity in the centre of the universal joint hub to allow the grease to pass from the screw down greaser to the oil grooves in the pins. This was done with a T slot type cutter and a rotary table.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125415&stc=1

I just need to drill and tap for the lubricator now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125416&stc=1

IMG_3653s.jpg

IMG_3657s.jpg

I fitted the transmission brake but then found there was not enough space left for the selector rod cover. Luckily when I checked I had left the drum about 1/4" deeper than the brake shoes as I was not sure what the exact position was meant to be.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125705&stc=1

So the brake drum came off, was mounted on the lathe and 3/16" was take off the back face.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125706&stc=1

This then left around 1/8" clearance, and the drum approximately centred on the brake show pivots.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125707&stc=1

IMG_3672s.jpg

IMG_3673s.jpg

IMG_3674s.jpg

I have collected another batch of laser cutting. This has included profiles for the brake arms so these were checked for alignment.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125709&stc=1

There was also one for the front cover on the gearbox. I am considering mounting a similar support frame at this point.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125708&stc=1

The gearbox was lined up under the chassis and the shaft that connects to the gear stick marked for trimming.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125710&stc=1

IMG_3675s.jpg

IMG_3676s.jpg

IMG_3677s.jpg

The gearbox was manoeuvred and jacked up to height on a pallet truck

attachment.php?attachmentid=125711&stc=1

And then some 5/8BSF bolts were modified to fit around the fabricated reinforcements. I still need to modify four more bolts and fit Grover washers and split pins.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125712&stc=1

The final job for this week was drilling and tapping the universal joint hub to accept a lubricator.

attachment.php?attachmentid=125713&stc=1

IMG_3680s.jpg

IMG_3685s.jpg

UJ Drilling.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have machined some bosses from EN3 steel and welded them to the S275 steel laser cut profiles to complete the first of the transmission brake arms. It has been blasted and primed but I still need to repeat the procedure for the second one.

Opening the holes up with a reamer should sort out the minor misalignment of the various parts.

attachment.php?attachmentid=126006&stc=1

IMG_3687s.jpg