I maybe stupid, but......

sirhc

Question

I seem to have somehow bought a 432 from Withams. Seeing them running around Salisbury Plain the other weekend convinced me to bid on one. Shame I can't afford it, and have nowhere to put it. Anyone want a 432?

Chris :shake: :shake: :shake:

Dave,

If he had any decent CVRTs I'd probably have had one of them instead! Thanks to Andys kind offer of space I now have somewhere to put it, and I've found the cash. I just hope it's a runner, otherwise I'll be down the scrap yard again...! (either for bits, or trying to get rid of it :whistle:)

Chris

Chris

As long as the pack is fixed in there and complete, a non runner won't be a problem.The ones from Withams tend to be missing dipsticks and throttle linkages and other bits bobs.Actual power packs and their components are not a problem,Ive got a few packs here for spares.If you need anything or help give me a shout:argh:

DaveP

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the offer of parts. The pack looked untouched, the side panels were all on, but I am told it doesn't run. I'll go down and see if I can get it to start! Hopefully it won't come to removing the pack!!

Chris

Chris,

I remember going to one of his tender sales,it must be nearly acouple of years ago, and there were 432's with all the engine panels in place but no power packs.I met some people who were going to bid not reallising there was no motor in it :dunno:I'll say that if it's all wired and connected up there won't be a lot wrong with it.Good luck. :tup:

DaveP

I seem to have somehow bought a 432 from Withams. Seeing them running around Salisbury Plain the other weekend convinced me to bid on one. Shame I can't afford it, and have nowhere to put it. Anyone want a 432?

Chris :shake: :shake: :shake:

Chris - did the Cat Scan pick anything up :whistle: Was it the 200 mile drive the other weekend that made you go a bit mad??!!

Well I went and checked over the 432. The pack has 80 hours on it, so it's not been run much. The fuel pump doesn't work, probably from being sat under water. The starter also goes 'clunk' instead of turning the engine over. The most worrying thing is there doesn't seem to be any oil in the engine oil tank. Looks like I'll have to pull the pack out to do the starter and possibly just put a new pack in. All in all not ideal, but it is a challenge.

Anyone got a spare fuel pump or starter knocking about? I also need to borrow something with a crane! :oops:

Chris

Chris,

Like I said ,I've got plenty of pack bits here.May have some fuel pump bits as well,yours may just want a good cleaning out.They do give the impression of being short of oil sometimes,it collects in the bottom crankcase and when you start up it should pump back into the tank.They also suffer scavange pump problems which could account for your symptoms just like running out of lubrication :-o

Good luck

DaveP

Well the 432 was delivered today at 8 am. I dragged it off the truck with my Land Rover and pushed it into some bushes with a forklift. The other week I honestly felt like I'd wasted my money :cry: so I was expecting it to be a bad day.

We connected up the Sabre and turned the power on. A big knock with a mallet saw the fuel pump kick into action. 1 problem down, on to the next one. It still wouldn't turn over, so we hooked up an A frame to the Sabre and dragged it over the yard in gear to see if we could turn the engine over. I left the jumper cable plugged in, and low and behold the starter started to work. It turns out theres an earth problem somewhere, with the A frame disconnected it won't turn over, with it connected it spins.

We tried to start it but it wouldn't fire, so we began to trace the fuel system. No fuel at the injectors, cleaned the filter, messed about for about an hour before remembering we turned the fuel tap off before trying to fix the pump. As soon as it was switched back on and the system bled it fired right up! :-D

After 30 mins of running the batteries had charged up enough to start it under its own power, so now I have a running driving 432. I'm not quite as depressed now! We also rubbed down the paint where we could see markings. The 432 was also used in KFOR, Kosovo 99 - our Spartan was used in KFOR and we painted the old markings back on when restoring it, so I already have the stencils ;-)

I'm not sure if I should do it up and sell it or do it up and keep it. I have the missing lights and some paint so I'll tidy it up and see how it goes.

Here's a video of it driving around less than 5 hours after delivery! :-)

Chris

Tracks are great :D

Actually the 432 has almost brand new tracks, and the engine is hardly run in. There are new bits bolted on all over it, seems like the MoD like to waste money on vehicles they're about to get rid of!

The interior is complete apart from one rear floor plate over the fuel pump. I can make one of those if needs be. It just needs a good clean.

Chris

Great work Chris and pleased that it has worked out for you - does ones soul good to take a risk once in a while :whistle: and I must learn how to upload to YouTube :oops:

So, will be coming to Salisbury Plain 2008 :-D

Jack,

I would like to bring the Spartan to the Plain next year, I'll need to get a truck to transport it on though. I'm going to see if I can get the 432 painted in time for Beltring, and some space on a low loader to take it there!

Chris