Water buckets--PROOF

Karoshi

Hi Tyler, there has been much debate over this issue. Over time I've seen a number of photo references, some of which are in my own library. All I have to do is find then again !

I'm not saying it was anything like a common habit, like what we see today, but it is absolute proof that it happened. I just hope it will inspire others to post up if they see any further proof.

Be nice if they do.

Karoshi

A good find. A famous photo that i had seen before but had not noticed the bucket. I will attempt to add the photo that i have later on (just have to come to grips with the system here).

All you have to do now is find an original photo of one hanging from the tow hook! A prize for the first one who does.

Now, while you are all doing that, i will start a new a new thread.

Tim (too)

GWT. I claim that prize! I just hope I can find it before the next man.

Not too many pictures showing buckets in transport position, but I can think of certainly two more and possibly three. It may be a long search but when I do come across them again I surely post.

In the mean time anybody wanting to contribute a bucket picture in any WW2 vehicle setting, please feel free.

The race is ON...............

Karoshi

GWT I'll post it for you if you have problems.

Notice too the mudflaps and the diff cover appears to be painted white.the censor has done a pretty good job but is that an Airborne tab on the guy on the right? could these guys be 101st? the patch could be the right shape.

My thoughts exactly 101st. In fact on the left bumperette you can make out the number 1, so it is quite likely. I always thought that the Airborne travelled light, so there must be a pretty good reason for the canvas bucket. Is it specified anywhere as an accessory to medical equipment?

Tim (too)

Guest bigredone

Caption reads

US Army medics load a man with a foot wound onto an improvised jeep ambulance in Normandy in 1944. From the book Jeep goes to war.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...