British Forces in Germany Rail vehicles and locations

This sparks a load of memories actually. I don't know if many ex 79 Rly Sqn guys are on here, I'm actually ex 275 Rly Sqn myself and I remember most of the locos (not the 400's) but all the others and most of the stock. Loco 666 (a Barclay 600hp DH loco) was the first loco I drove on exercise in BAOR

th_MeonBarclay600666June85ArsbeckTrgArea_zps7ab7c38d.jpg(Click on the thumb)

The photo was taken on the siding spur on Arsbeck Training Area. The line through the training area ran between Klinkum (main line connection), through the training area to RAF Bruggen. There is a theory that the line continued through to 3 BAD at Bracht.

The one painted in Man Utd colours (Red & Black) at 154 FAD Wulfen was done by the then Cpl Al Norris. The 2 crews at Wulfen had a competition to paint their 2 locos.

The ward coaches shown in Ayrshire South Park were used by us TA railwayman as sleeping accomodation on courses and exercise. The blue VRE's, Pwg on the photos, were often used by senior ranks as their accomodation as they had more comfort.

The small 0-4-0 Fowler (Percy) is at the moment at Marchwood Military Port and a group of us ex Army Railwaymen are looking to preserve it before it rots to nothing. The V200 and the Deutz 360 (cranky ex Wermacht machine it was) named Poyntz, went to a museum in the former East. The V200 was actually fully rebuilt, by a person named Barbara, on the back road in Ayrshire South Park.

th_scan0012_zpsa1a4c3aa.jpg(Click on the thumb)

Percy, Poyntz and the V200 (with a Ramp Wagon in front) on the Side Ramp and back roads at Ayrshire South Park

So, yes it's certainly sparked up a thread. I could ramble on for hours about this lot.

Thanks for finding them.

Nige

Certainly has sparked the memories. I haven't got any photos but I do remember seeing this railway kit quite regularly. I was based at 40 Group Royal Engineers at Willich in the early eighties. There was a substantial rail network within the camp there, and a lot of kit was moved in and out by train.

There was several of the railway guys in quarters near us, but I cannot remember any of their names just now

Certainly has sparked the memories. I haven't got any photos but I do remember seeing this railway kit quite regularly. I was based at 40 Group Royal Engineers at Willich in the early eighties. There was a substantial rail network within the camp there, and a lot of kit was moved in and out by train.

There was several of the railway guys in quarters near us, but I cannot remember any of their names just now

Ahh yes, Willich. 40 AESG wasn't it. Supposedly my depot to work when the 3rd Shock Army decided to invade. We used to use Willich for to train blokes in track work. I remember being shown a bricked up hole in a workshop where one of the lads had put a loco through it.

Nige

• 3 weeks later...

I was based in Willich during the 60's I was driver on SCAMMELL LOW LOADERS.

My wife and I attended a reunion in Willich in July.

There will be another reunion next year 2016