Smith 10 Ton Crane

Ashcollection

Question

Well done this beast needed saving. I first saw it at Beverley many years ago. Then up at Richard Wilsons in Newcastle who recently had it for sale. There are parts of another one at Nelson Greens in Bourne.

I've seen the one at nelson greens to and it was complete apart from a front wheel at the time, this was quite a while ago but worth chasing up for parts. Great piece of kit and well done for saving something so rare. I saw it on ebay and was tempted but captain sensible stepped in.....:(

Robin they were only built for the military in the first place.

Thanks everyone for the comments all very helpful. We started her up last weekend and moved it round the yard, its a big lump to push round two 90 deg corners that are only 60ft apart, didn't dare driver her yet as on starting she took off across the yard with no one in it! something must have moved in transit as it wasn't in drive last time we started it, anyway after the heart rate had stabilized and the laughter had stopped, it rolled nicely pushed by my Muir Hill, the engine was running only to get steering.IMG-20141220-00509.jpg

IMG-20141220-00506.jpg

Thanks everyone for the comments all very helpful. We started her up last weekend and moved it round the yard, its a big lump to push round two 90 deg corners that are only 60ft apart, didn't dare driver her yet as on starting she took off across the yard with no one in it! something must have moved in transit as it wasn't in drive last time we started it, anyway after the heart rate had stabilized and the laughter had stopped, it rolled nicely pushed by my Muir Hill, the engine was running only to get steering.[ATTACH=CONFIG]99623[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99624[/ATTACH]

That is a big bugger, didn't realise it as its only 10 ton but its still a big un.

I can just here my old mechanical teacher at Farm college saying "never start anything unless you are sat in the operators seat" as I read your exploits of the self directed crane going across the yard, very funny, at least now!

I guess when you consider that there are no stabiliser legs and it relies on its own mass as counterbalance 10 tons lift is pretty good.

I like the fact you have a Muir Hill, next you will tell us you have an Eager Beaver as well

Love the look of the beast

Robin

I can just here my old mechanical teacher at Farm college saying "never start anything unless you are sat in the operators seat" as I read your exploits of the self directed crane going across the yard, very funny, at least now!

I guess when you consider that there are no stabiliser legs and it relies on its own mass as counterbalance 10 tons lift is pretty good.

I like the fact you have a Muir Hill, next you will tell us you have an Eager Beaver as well

Love the look of the beast

Robin

Haha yes I know that saying as well! As the previous couple of times we had started it it had taken at least two hours, flat batteries and far too much time priming fuel to be fun anymore, it was very unexpected! it fired up far better than anything else I own. the prop shafts are off for the time being until I get a copy of a manual and can figure out what all the unmarked leavers do. Also yes I'm afraid to say we like our plant here, I do have an Eager Beaver as well, along with An Aveling Barford dump truck, Thornycroft Trencher, CET, Mk 1 Millitant with a Jones KL66, and a Mk 1 Millitant with a Blaw Knox excavator on the back. The Militants are scrap yard rescues, but they are under cover and in one rusty piece at lease, rather than being scrapped, exported and made into cheap washing machines.

Haha yes I know that saying as well! As the previous couple of times we had started it it had taken at least two hours, flat batteries and far too much time priming fuel to be fun anymore, it was very unexpected! it fired up far better than anything else I own. the prop shafts are off for the time being until I get a copy of a manual and can figure out what all the unmarked leavers do. Also yes I'm afraid to say we like our plant here, I do have an Eager Beaver as well, along with An Aveling Barford dump truck, Thornycroft Trencher, CET, Mk 1 Millitant with a Jones KL66, and a Mk 1 Millitant with a Blaw Knox excavator on the back. The Militants are scrap yard rescues, but they are under cover and in one rusty piece at lease, rather than being scrapped, exported and made into cheap washing machines.

It’s a big s#d when are you opening for guided tours

I guess this comes under this title of "I might be stupid but I've bought this"[ATTACH=CONFIG]99194[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]99195[/ATTACH]

Hi Mate!

Are you still the owner of this beast? Or maybe you're finished the restoration? Why I ask? I'm the owner of this webpage here and I thought you're interested in:

http://british-army-in-hameln.com/the-beast-of-408-bridge-troop-re/

Best regards

Arnd