1944 Flying Flea

Davey089

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In short, no..........for brake shoe re-ling try either Villiers Services or Martyn Bratby..........both on the web.......

Thanks , I saw the re-lining facility on the Villiers website, just thought I would fit complete shoes if they were available.

Thanks again

Dave

Opened up the headlight today and found the reflector held in place with insulating tape! , should there be clips that hold it into the blackout shroud? also a little suspicious this is not the right reflector , it has a sidelight facility as photo shows.Looks like someone has found an old reflector laying around and it's fitted the hole, could this be a civilian reflector ?

Dave.

IMG_0865.jpg

Edited by Davey089

Looks original to me!! (picture of rear will confirm).

Cheers,

Lex

Picture of the rear , do they have clips to hold them into the shroud ? .Not owning a vintage MC before I'm not sure 100% what is correct , like the MW I found a few civi bits "bodged" onto it . The previous owner has used vinyl cable , I would imagine cotton covered cable to be used? ............the next question :D could you tell me what colour and size of cable used on the Flea .

Thanks

Dave

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

Rubber-covered cable fitted, not cloth-covered.............modern replica available from Ebay that doesn't rot with age............

Thank you

Is this the cable ........... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Classic-Motorcycle-Rubber-Insulated-Wire-Cable-for-Rudge-AJS-Norton-/201055532041?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2ecfd7f409

I had an old army friend of my dads over at mine yesterday (ex Arnhem 156 Ind) , showed him the bike and he said " I don't remember it having a horn" ................so I was thinking should I do away with it ,or should I leave it on ?:).

Well his memory could be OK. Some pictures of them in the parachute drop frame show them without a bulb horn and there is no mention of it in my parts list for contract S7112. However the factory picture that I posted on 6th Dec (#4) of this thread shows a horn. Also this picture from Steve's book also has one fitted. I think it might just have been a case of "needs must" at the time.

Ron

Scan-150111-0001.jpg

The drop cradles are 100's of times rarer than the bikes!

Have you seen this?

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=9030&msgid=1336535&cmd=show

Ron

I e mailed you earlier Ron , :) I'll join that forum didn't know about that one .

Thanks

Dave

Edited by Davey089

Dave the bloke who is selling those points (Dave Plumb) is a long time trusted member of that forum and is well renowned for selling stuff quite cheaply. I have been aware for at least 15 years of the scarcity of those Miller contact breakers and obviously he knows it too. You just cannot buy them off the shelf, and I don't know what Villiers Services would have to do with it? Dave told me off forum that he was hoping to adapt some Japanese CB points. Might be worth emailing him.

I know I offered you a NOS set for a fraction of Dave's price, but when I didn't hear back from you, I put them back in my spares stock.....But I do still have them in an emergency. Ron

Dave the bloke who is selling those points (Dave Plumb) is a long time trusted member of that forum and is well renowned for selling stuff quite cheaply. I have been aware for at least 15 years of the scarcity of those Miller contact breakers and obviously he knows it too. You just cannot buy them off the shelf, and I don't know what Villiers Services would have to do with it? Dave told me off forum that he was hoping to adapt some Japanese CB points. Might be worth emailing him.

I know I offered you a NOS set for a fraction of Dave's price, but when I didn't hear back from you, I put them back in my spares stock.....But I do still have them in an emergency. Ron

No disrespect to the guy , but I couldn't believe it how much was being asked ,as I mentioned previously I'm not up to speed on WD/Classic motorcycles .

I didn't get back to you straight away as I was hoping to be able to find some at the auto jumble or on the net . Steve at Villiers services asked me to send them a photo of the points and maybe they could match? something up not heard back from them so looks like a no go .

I've edited the above I'm not here to make waves :)

Edited by Davey089

Dave, the reflector is spot on, typical Miller.

On the subject of wiring, the Flea used to use a very heavy thick rubber insulated wire, thicker then the stuff on Ebay.

DSCN1843.JPG

But have not been able to source it yet, unless I buy 100 miles of it!!!

I do have the Ebay wire in stock, a little cheaper, can bring to Kempton or Stonleigh end of the month.

A lot of times missing, the little wire clamps, for the taillamp, (have the sizes somewhere)

Wire_holder_01.JPG

Also still a couple special to the Flea, repro canvas grips kits f/s.

Lightweights_052.jpg

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike
Additional info

Dave, the reflector is spot on, typical Miller.

On the subject of wiring, the Flea used to use a very heavy thick rubber insulated wire, thicker then the stuff on Ebay.

DSCN1843.JPG

But have not been able to source it yet, unless I buy 100 miles of it!!!

I do have the Ebay wire in stock, a little cheaper, can bring to Kempton or Stonleigh end of the month.

A lot of times missing, the little wire clamps, for the taillamp, (have the sizes somewhere)

Wire_holder_01.JPG

Also still a couple special to the Flea, repro canvas grips kits f/s.

Lightweights_052.jpg

Cheers,

Lex

Hi Lex

That brought a smile to my face now knowing the reflector is correct , thanks . Unfortunately I can't make either show, I would be very interested in the canvas grips if you have any available .

The clip is missing ,how many are there , does the cable run on the outside of the mudguard and straight across the top of the frame under the tank ? .At some point someone has used modern pvc cable with nice new blue cable connectors and run the cable under the mudguard .

Cheers

Dave

Removed the rear mudguard .I think I found the clip ? :) , when the previous owner rewired it, it looks like they used it to hold the cable in place on the underside .Am I right in thinking this fits on the rack bolt nearest to the light ?

IMG_0869.jpg

Edited by Davey089

Hopefully I can get some of the wire from Lex at Kempton to replace the cotton stuff I used. The wire runs along the centre rib and is located by the two clips. I also have an original Miller tail lamp. They are not the same as the normal Lucas type and very hard to find.

Dave your points are on their way. I spayed them with WD 40 but you will need to clean up the pivot point properly.

Ron

Lightweights 326.jpg

Hopefully I can get some of the wire from Lex at Kempton to replace the cotton stuff I used. The wire runs along the centre rib and is located by the two clips. I also have an original Miller tail lamp. They are not the same as the normal Lucas type and very hard to find.

Dave your points are on their way. I spayed them with WD 40 but you will need to clean up the pivot point properly.

Ron

Thanks Ron , just seen there are 2 clips luckily they are both on the underside. Noticed the light ,the one on mine is incorrect ...off a different motorcycle ?

I'll have to keep my eyes open on Evil Bay and at the local Auto jumble jumble for one , I'm still looking for Rubbolite No5 and 5A rear lamps for the MW , which are like hens teeth .

Dave

Dave

IMG_0870.jpg

Edited by Davey089

Yes you have the standard Lucas fag end lamp. The Miller type was only fitted to Fleas, Velo MAF's and the small batch of Miller equipped Matchless G3L's........So not very common. The one on my MAF is a repro, I'll be racing you to the next real one!! Ron

MAF 049.jpg

Yes you have the standard Lucas fag end lamp. The Miller type was only fitted to Fleas, Velo MAF's and the small batch of Miller equipped Matchless G3L's........So not very common. The one on my MAF is a repro, I'll be racing you to the next real one!! Ron

Lovely bike there Ron...........................Don't venture back up North looking , I only know of one reasonable sized auto jumble up here :D

Dave

Well, Ron answered all the questions, so that's easy. Can order you a roll of the wire, will email you Ron.

Dave whereabouts are you?, might be visiting a friend in Huddersfield after the Stoneleigh thing.

Your taillamp is an Indian repro btw, they are slightly thinner then original Lucas ones, and the rubber is too short, why they made them that way, with all the costs of tooling etc. I have no idea!!

Cheers,

Lex

Well, Ron answered all the questions, so that's easy. Can order you a roll of the wire, will email you Ron.

Dave whereabouts are you?, might be visiting a friend in Huddersfield after the Stoneleigh thing.

Your taillamp is an Indian repro btw, they are slightly thinner then original Lucas ones, and the rubber is too short, why they made them that way, with all the costs of tooling etc. I have no idea!!

Cheers,

Lex

Over in North Yorkshire , Catterick direction . If I find a Lucas lamp before a Miller I'll fit it, at least it will be period :D..............instead of a repo

Dave