Rear Brake Light

gary0003

I realise it is important for safety, but does my 1944 R/Enfield WD/CO need to have a rear brake light fitted by law please?

Unsure law wise but fit one whatever, as someone who has been rear ended on a bike by a blind OAP I can assure you it HURTS ! :cry:

Definitely need a brake light on a WW2 motorcycle. I was gently advised of this by a well known WM20 owner who was also a traffic cop. This was back in 1983 when first had my WM20 on the road. The law states brake lights required from a date in the mid-1930's (cannot recollect exact year at present time). It is for your own safety. I had a rear number plate and 1950's type stop/tail lamp which was quick detachable and revealing original tail lamp for showing.

regards, Richard

Richard, would that be the sadly missed, late Chris D? I had a good few whiskey's with him before his demise.

The cheap to buy repro Lucas MT110 rear lights have a twin filament bulb, so very easy to give yourself a period looking lamp with a brake light.

Ron

M20 123.jpg

You only need a working stop/brake lamp if the remainder of your lighting system is functional............you can quite legally ride or drive any vehicle on the road during daylight hours without any lights fitted, or if they are fitted (and functional) but "masked" or "covered over" so cannot be put to immediate use this is also quite legal..........same for a MoT test........if not fitted then they cannot be tested, or if fitted and functional but covered over and can't be put to immediate use then they aren't tested............the MoT document issued will note "daylight use only"......

Some vehicles including trial bikes and quads, tractors, etc, are in a similar position.........

I never ride at night, dusk, dawn or during periods of poor visibility............good daylight only........my own bikes are fitted with wartime lighting, blackout masks, wiring and no stop lamp..........without any bulbs fitted you can quite legally ride on the road as the lamps cannot be put to immediate use...........same for the stop-lamp - you don't need one if you effectively have no functioning lighting fitted.............without any bulbs the lighting is not functioning and therefore cannot be put to use unless a bulb is fitted........

Horns and speedo's however are a separate requirement..........

I knew Chris D. rather well.......we shared the same profession.........:D

Edited by wdbikemad