First MV?

winchman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like you want something that can be used regularly without any great dramas and has a bit of off-road capability, which, I agree points you in the direction of a Military Landie. And if you want a camper, then the ideal is an ambulance-bodied version........unless you go for the Forward Control variety......... At this stage you then need to consider price as both of these tend not to be cheap, for a good one, although I have seen what look like some decent bargains lately. And spares for Landies are crazily cheap and available compared to most anything else. And if you look after it, you should always get your money back (if you bought a good one). With the latter in mind, I would strongly recommend also investing in membership of the Ex-Military Land Rover Association which is a great source of advice AND potential good buys. I bought a Lightweight L/R just to tow my trailer, and I was hooked. So be warned! Ferg

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like you want something that can be used regularly without any great dramas and has a bit of off-road capability, which, I agree points you in the direction of a Military Landie. And if you want a camper, then the ideal is an ambulance-bodied version........unless you go for the Forward Control variety......... At this stage you then need to consider price as both of these tend not to be cheap, for a good one, although I have seen what look like some decent bargains lately. And spares for Landies are crazily cheap and available compared to most anything else. And if you look after it, you should always get your money back (if you bought a good one). With the latter in mind, I would strongly recommend also investing in membership of the Ex-Military Land Rover Association which is a great source of advice AND potential good buys. I bought a Lightweight L/R just to tow my trailer, and I was hooked. So be warned! Ferg

I just feel other stuff is better value?

I have always wanted a truck, I have had a few Land rovers but never a truck so its on my bucket list next to the Audi convertible!

Help

I have been contacted by some one who is thinking of selling his RL.

So what should I look for?

Its a 1955 petrol flat bed

Flux have quoted me £181 fully comp with recovery. I assume this is good?

I believe it runs and drives but lights need attention?

Should have more details soon.

FWIW - production RL's were all petrol AFAIK - apart from those used by the Danish army.... If you can get a pre-1960 one then the B license is OK, post 1 Jan 1960 and as others have said you will need the C license. They are fun to drive though, albeit lacking in creature comforts (like heaters!!).. :-)

My licence is c1 vehicles between 3.5 and 7500kg with a trailer up to 750kg?

So what will a flat bed RL weigh?

What would I pay for a box body?

If the engine fell out tomorrow what would I fit instead?

Whats the pit falls of converting it to run on LPG?

Take a look at the threads on licensing. In general/summary, if it's pre 1960 you can drive it unladen for fun, but if you want to carry things, use it for work, or drive a later vehicle then you'll need to down rate the vehicle to C1 (approximately a luton van) or take your C licence.

Depending on what you want to do with the box body, registering as a motorhome might be another option to explore.

Thanks

I had seen these, I really wanted a box type or flat bed, the big problem with those two is they are miles away so transport would be expensive and take me out of my small budget

K9s are good trucks apart from the cab rust, but that's true for most '50s vehicles. They're rather smaller than an RL - nominally a 1 ton truck, and actually gross a bit over 6 tonnes. 4 litre petrol engine will get you around 15 - 18 mpg unless you have a heavy right foot. Crash gearbox, but quite a decent one. Good off road in my experience.

Alternatively if you go more modern there's the Bedford MK / MJ and the Leyland DAF 4x4, though you're unlikely to get the latter at least within your budget. For me the MK / MJ are a bit underpowered; the 330's a decent engine but isn't particularly torquey.

Early Unimog 400 series might be a possibility, I'm not sure what soft cab petrol 404s make now but they used to be very cheap. Very good trucks. Morris Commercial MRA1 is equivalent to the K9 but much more primitive, can be picked up cheap if they come up. 1 ton Humber is a good truck but has some weak spots, is stupidly thirsty by comparison and I suspect a decent one will be beyond your budget - a poor one is unlikely to be much more than a pile of red dust on top of a pair of axles. Commer Q4s look good but IMO not a patch on an RL. A bargain basement Renault / Dodge RB44 might be a possibility as mentioned earlier, though I've spent far too many hours trying to sort out the brakes on Dodge trucks to feel enthusiastic about them.

Thanks Sean

Having mooched around the net for hours I still like the RL and K9.

I do like the modern Bedford MK/MJ but just well out of my budget.

I do like Unimogs but to be honest my hearts now set on an RL, but I would settle for a K9 but its all down to finding one with such a small budget.

It was interesting to see the few on Ebay,

The lovely red crash tender thingy didn't even reach £1300 so didn't sell as it had a reserve.

The RL recovery truck looked nice but hasn't sold at £3000

I did call two at the weekend, a very nice canvas backed one but it was £6000! and a radio bodied one that needed a clutch that went for £1100, so they are about.

I like the RB44 but felt it was too new.

In the mean time I am clearing the loft and garage to raise a bit more cash for the pot and restoring my old 70s motorbike.

I have to be patient I know but I have had so many friends offer me support and shown an interest I want one now so I can show it at Easter/ summer.

I wouldent say a k9 weighs 6 ton.

Bill, they don't weigh 6 tonnes, they gross 6 tonnes (a bit over, in fact) - i.e. truck and load.

Winchman (what is your name?), you have good taste in trucks IMO! Too late now but a clutch is easy on an RL. One will come up, they've been appearing at auction quite regularly for around £2k or less.

Bill, they don't weigh 6 tonnes, they gross 6 tonnes (a bit over, in fact) - i.e. truck and load.

Winchman (what is your name?), you have good taste in trucks IMO! Too late now but a clutch is easy on an RL. One will come up, they've been appearing at auction quite regularly for around £2k or less.

Thanks PM sent

I do wonder how to value one?

People do seem to ask a lot of money for trucks, particularly post war stuff. I think it reflects the increase in the price of wartime vehicles and classic cars. I've seen Goddesses anywhere between £2000 and £10000 recently. I do wonder a lot of the time whether these things actually sell though. Auction prices may tend to be lower than market value, perhaps, but basically sound RLs needing tidying seem to make in the £1500 to £2500 range at auction (including eBay).

Thanks Chris, I had seen that but as I thought it was rare parts may be an issue.

The problem I have is the more I look the more I fancy the RL, to be honest I also like the newer Bedfords and Scammells but they are well out of my price range and some days I feel the RL is too as the prices are all over the place.

If you want an RL, winchman, get the RL. At the end of the day, it will make you happy.

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks Terry I think you are right, no one has said dont buy an RL because, well apart from the MPG!

But I just have to live with that.

Just struggling to find one its only when you try to buy something you realise how difficult it can be to find one.

Regards

Dave