Help needed Mercury tug

lee g

• 1 month later...

More progress! Had to purchase another engine so had it rebuilt! Had the gear box rebuilt too! Radiator was pressure tested and is fine so lots of scrubbing down and it was found that the gunk has preserved the chassis! Paint added! Just waiting for new fuel tank and fenders and shouldn't be too far off! Unfortunately I'm going to have to put her up for sale as I've just bought a been carrier that need restoring so will need the money to put in to that! Sad I know but leading to a happy ending and I know who ever buys her with have some great times!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's starting to look proper grand :) I wouldn;t imagine you'll have a lot of trouble to sell something that is well 'out of the ordinary ' :) .... How about touting her to a few of the museums especially any that are based on former airfields ?

The only downside to such a great little vehicle is although she'd zoom about lovely on tarmac or concrete or at the least a hard surface of some sorts ?.... I guess she probably isn't going to be very agile when 'off road' such as a lovely wet summers day at a rally ! :) .

..but.........I wouldn't worry cos there's always something else at such shows to give you a tow ! :)

PS: Just a thought though... I have seen these before fitted with 'dual' rear tyres so thats an option maybe ? :)

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lee, absolutely loving this, she is looking great.

Is she available for sale yet? I work at the Classic Air Force museum down in Newquay and this is just the thing to fit in with our collection. She would look great with our old trolley accumulator on the back! All depending on price of course as we are a charity but please PM me if you're interested.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

There is one of these tugs at the Hooton Trust site, ex RAF Hooton Park.  There is a problem with the engine it does start but will only run briefly.  Not sure whether it is now on a 12v system although I am told that they were originally only 6 volts. Any suggestons would be helpful as to why it does not keep running.

• 10 months later...
On 7/2/2019 at 6:04 PM, RAF Mercury tug said:

There is one of these tugs at the Hooton Trust site, ex RAF Hooton Park.  There is a problem with the engine it does start but will only run briefly.  Not sure whether it is now on a 12v system although I am told that they were originally only 6 volts. Any suggestons would be helpful as to why it does not keep running.

Hi mine is 12volt and it didn't keep running I found it was petrol starvation the pipe from under the petrol tank was very small in dia and someone had put a small shut off tap so I enlarged it and the pipe it now keeps running.Hope this is useful.

John Sergeant' 

On 5/6/2020 at 9:06 PM, John Sergeant said:

I also have just bought a mercury tug tractor I have just started restoration on it but no info.

I was told by the reg number is April 1952.

I could do with a manual on it.

Thanks John Sergeant

TUG 2.JPG

TUG4.JPG

Fantastic to see these mercury trucks getting restored, we have 2 mercury auto trucks one os restored and come out of Swindon railway works and the other is unrestored and is a tug. We also have most of the mercury truck and tractor co brochures, and paperwork if I get time I'll have a look into it dont suppose yours has a builders plate at all? 

I have had the radiator fully overhauled on the tug and now just rebuilding the rear diff. It's a slow project but since lock down happened given me some time to get some work done! I'm involved with a heritage railway and restoring diesel locomotives takes up most of the time.

Dale 

FB_IMG_1578773304713.jpg

received_10209582089808515.jpeg

received_1242009539237907.jpeg

20200506_175414.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Dale,

You have made a lovely job of that drop side and the progress with the other photos.

where did you get the radiator done? as I need mine done.

Would you be able to copy the paper work you have I will pay you, and all the postage costs

I also need a name plate on the radiator the one on mine just says MERCURY the bloke I bought the tug  off said he bought it and put it on so I don't think it's right. seeing your and others.

The only number on the dash is MT7051

Keep up the good work

John 

TUG31.JPG

TUG43.JPG

59 minutes ago, John Sergeant said:

Hi Dale,

You have made a lovely job of that drop side and the progress with the other photos.

where did you get the radiator done? as I need mine done.

Would you be able to copy the paper work you have I will pay you, and all the postage costs

I also need a name plate on the radiator the one on mine just says MERCURY the bloke I bought the tug  off said he bought it and put it on so I don't think it's right. seeing your and others.

The only number on the dash is MT7051

Keep up the good work

John 

TUG31.JPG

TUG43.JPG

Hello John, 

I'll have a look in the book and see what I can find. Theres quite abit of paperwork so will have a look later and go though it we should be able to scan it in and get a copy to you. 

We never built the dropsode brought it like that, was the truck that got me into these vehicles and becuse of its history with railways made it even more attractive to us.

I will find out where I got my radiator done although it did cost me £700! It had a brand new core. He did say he would never do another becuse of how time consuming but can get his details. He also said it's a work of art and he isn't wrong! 

I recently did strip another truck for parts for mine bassicly for the rear axle and radiator as spares. It does have the plate I have on it but i dont want to sell it becuse we only have the one spare. If you want I can see how much it would cost to get some cast? The mercury one you have will be an original one but bassicly a latter type at a guess it was cheaper and quicker.

I sent my rear diff away for shotblasting and started from there. He never covers up the bearing areas so need to polish them up again now. I've also tried to remove the bearings but that seems to be cast into the hub. I'm going to have to get a new engine for mine as it is seized sold and had the head off for to long. Does yours have a Ford side valve or a Morris engine there was two types.

You dont realise how heavy them rear axles are till you take them off and the giant worm gear inside. I've been told to not take the worm gear apart in its housing as if you mess up the alignment it can start eating at the worm gear. I've I've just lifted it out and put it to the side I'll clean the top and itll go stirght back into the axle then.

If you want to drop me an email its Daleee.w25@gmail.com and we will try and get some stuff sorted. I have a fond liking for these and if you ever decide to pass it on we would be interested :)

many thanks Dale 

Hi Dale, It's good to have someone to talk to I thought I was the only one with a tug,That rad was a bit expensive £ 700 that's what I payed for my tug 5 days ago.

I have the Ford 10 hp engine in mine I saw mine running when I bought it but the brakes was stuck on I started restoring it by taking off the ballast cast steel plate witch weighed 2ton I will not put this back on.

My email is j.sergeant@hotmail.com

this is my first military vehicle I have done,I have been restoring since 1980 started with a 1947 Scammel motive unit and a 1926 showman wagon I have had various commercial vehicles all so fair ground organs,I then swung onto horse drawn showmans wagons I did 5 of these over the years I still have my 1933 Bedford brake down truck.

The the best for now John   

006.JPG

002.JPG

1933 bedford.JPG

003rear of 1933 bedford WHG.JPG

• Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 3:20 PM, Dale said:

There are companies that cast reproduction plates. 

Just one example:-

https://www.falon-nameplates.co.uk/our-products/land-rover/