Morris C9/B

MHillyard

Question of the day, what is this toothed drive for on the back of the gearbox? I can only guess it powered the motors of the bofors.

Martyn,

That chain sprocket is odd as the alternator and exciter for the gun were driven off this shaft, by a pulley driving v-belts, so maybe it is a modification or another version. Unless this chassis has had another use in its post-service life.

regards, Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant
spelling!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ours has the same cover over the PTO. There is only the flange fitted to the gearbox - no pulley or gear. The early vehicles were fitted with the alternator but I understand they were removed later in service. The guns were originally designed for electrical operation in conjunction with a predictor which was mounted in a separate vehicle but it seems that the gunners preferred manual control so the electrics were removed.

The predictor vehicles were converted to gun tractors.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few little bits done

Picked up a bonnet thanks to a forum member. Needs some work but a fantastic piece to either repair or copy.

Also had a brief look at one of the jacks, this one had fallen off the front of the Morris some time ago and the handle has been knocked off at some point. It seems by far to be the worst jack of the lot. With a bit of effort it started to move so sprayed it with a bit of oil and got a good grip on the handle and it started to wind up and down (obviously quite stiff as it is well clogged up with rust. I removed the remains of the handle which came of pretty easily and revealed rather clean and well lubricated insides. I then removed the base to free it up so it will sit better and that all went fairly well and smoothly although I am not going to be doing any more work on the jacks or the Morris itself before the Gipsy is finished.

IMG_20150314_124512.jpg

clbVmXmicIFcVqRvWOVywqJcdUG76lThxM-XVHgD1oI=w724-h543-no

Rv6AiINwdPXryyzdwG5ionpzYjCJPkwLAYKqxesAhR0=w407-h543-no

q10yy7JM4fYq64BL5r9dZ-_pVyqf8eDMgK0xTiDgmOo=w407-h543-no

• 7 months later...

Work has started!

Decided to spend a day getting the majority of the cab off before the bad weather sets in, also gives me something to do in the evenings as work on the Gipsy is becoming more light and weather dependent.

Surprisingly a lot of the bolts came undone with an oily residue on the thread which is promising.

Lots of little parts to store now but at least they wont spoil.

DSC_0075.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0062.JPG

DSC_0072.JPG

DSC_0074.JPG

You have a real challenge there Martyn

Glad to see you have started the strip down, don't forget to take loads of photos as you go.

Did you struggle to get the steering wheel off ?

Cheers

Jules

QUOTE=MHillyard;456162]Work has started!

Decided to spend a day getting the majority of the cab off before the bad weather sets in, also gives me something to do in the evenings as work on the Gipsy is becoming more light and weather dependent.

Surprisingly a lot of the bolts came undone with an oily residue on the thread which is promising.

Lots of little parts to store now but at least they wont spoil.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]110337[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]110338[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]110339[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]110340[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]110341[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]110342[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]110343[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]110344[/ATTACH]

You have a real challenge there Martyn

Glad to see you have started the strip down, don't forget to take loads of photos as you go.

Did you struggle to get the steering wheel off ?

Cheers

Jules

Yes taking plenty of photos for future reference. Refacbricating the cab is going to be interesting as what I have is not much to go by.

Steering wheel nut was already mostly undone so came off with very little effort at all. Shame the wheel itself is pretty shot.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

More parts cleaned up and primed including compressor oil filter, gearbox breather box and carb.

A couple of questions:

Does anyone know the colour code for the engine paint?

Is there anywhere I can get carb gaskets or will I have to make them up?

Also does anyone have a copy (preferably pdf) of the parts manual for this or the C8?

DSC_0085.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0063.JPG

DSC_0078.JPG

DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0084.JPG

I have the manual on disk Late John Weasly but its my only copy and a bit personal how far are you from Southend?

Not too far, im near Colchester.

Is the parts list illustrated at all or just a list? Was hoping some bits in there might help with making up new bits and pieces.

The parts list isn't illustrated other than for sectional diagrams of the engine, gearbox and axles. It's nothing like the sort of thing you'll use at work so it's not much use as a basis for refabricating anything. If you need detail photos or measurements of a C9B I can help you.

Martyn

The best match for the Morris engine colour is called Brunswick Green, easily available via the net, a lot is sold to stationary engine restorers.

CHEERS

Jules

Cheers!

The parts list isn't illustrated other than for sectional diagrams of the engine, gearbox and axles. It's nothing like the sort of thing you'll use at work so it's not much use as a basis for refabricating anything. If you need detail photos or measurements of a C9B I can help you.

Cheers Ivor, I think ive been spoiled by the fully illustrated parts list for the Gipsy. Cheers for the offer Ivor you'll probably regret saying that. I am ok for the time being but will no doubt need measurements etc. in the future especially for the cab

Got cleaning up the tyre pump last night. Was well coated in grease and oil so when cleaned off it revealed a nice bit of original paint. Looks a mixture of a light/faded service brown or sand colour with traces of a green which could either be the engine colour or a late war green.

DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

DSC_0087.JPG

DSC_0088.JPG

DSC_0089.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Lots more taken off and cleaned up etc. over the past week.

Had a closer look at the radiator and it looks pretty bad at the base, not sure how repairable things like this are so any suggestions would be appreciated

Managed to remove the exhaust manifold without any damage, it seems to be pretty well seized onto the inlet manifold but that is something I will sort later along the line.

Rather than taking the whole "cab" to bits I just unbolted it from the chassis and lifted it to the rear of the body where it can remain complete for when I come to work on it.

The engine/gearbox subframe is in a very poor state and I am surprised the engine is still held by it. So next job is to remove the engine and gearbox.

Steering mechanism removed for ease of taking the engine and gearbox out which also revealed a nice bit of paint.

Also removed the engine covers and condition doesnt seem to be too bad so will have to see how it looks when I start taking it to bits.

DSC_0152.JPG

DSC_0119.JPG

DSC_0120.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG

DSC_0131.JPG

DSC_0132.JPG

DSC_0133.JPG

DSC_0143.JPG

DSC_0148.JPG

DSC_0149.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG