Morris C9/B

MHillyard

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

It looks like the gearbox is the same as on the Morris compressor truck including the extra drive bit, of which we have a spare if you are interested.

PM me if you need one.

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Gavla

Hi,

It looks like the gearbox is the same as on the Morris compressor truck including the extra drive bit, of which we have a spare if you are interested.

PM me if you need one.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi there, will photo the bits on the weekend and send.

Andy

What's the engine number, Martyn? It's on a brass disc on the right side of the engine, below and to the front of the rebuild plate.

I know there was a little round marking there but didnt look brass, probably just covered in oil etc. Will take a look at the weekend. Should be able to get the actual C9/Bs details then too.

Hi there, will photo the bits on the weekend and send.

Andy

Sounds good!

A very worthy project indeed ,I wish you luck .You have done well getting the motors with the gun as these are a hard item to find, do you have the seats (3) ?

I know of another C9B not too far from here !

Rob...................rnixartillery.

Hi Rob

Thanks, I have two seats, the handles to elevate etc. And a breach cover. Really just missing the sights but I've heard they are near Impossible to find. Is there anyone making repros that you know of? Also am I right in thinking the electrics were probably added post war?

Is this other C9/B one I would know about? Don't suppose he will have any spares etc.? Would be interesting just to see it depending where it is for measurements and details

$(KGrHqFHJFYE914o)ZysBPmE,15Jmw~~60_3.jpgNo The motors are War time and they are dated in several places ,sights are like rocking horse ****e to find so you could get lucky but most probably have to make/copy them ,not an easy task but I know a very good fabricator (you know who you are ;) )It looks like you got a very good gun with the truck ,Bofors parts and accessories are becoming hard to find.

I have shell racks, barrel staves, muzzle covers and some other bits and pieces knocking about.

I will make some enquires about the C9B to see if it is still where it was ! I have always admired the C9B so its great that a couple have surfaced recently and on the road to resurrection.

Rob..................rnixartillery.

Edited by rnixartillery

No The motors are War time and they are dated in several places ,sights are like rocking horse ****e to find so you could get lucky but most probably have to make/copy them ,not an easy task but I know a very good fabricator (you know who you are ;) )It looks like you got a very good gun with the truck ,Bofors parts and accessories are becoming hard to find.

I have shell racks, barrel staves, muzzle covers and some other bits and pieces knocking about.

I will make some enquires about the C9B to see if it is still where it was ! I have always admired the C9B so its great that a couple have surfaced recently and on the road to resurrection.

I noticed some wartime dates but didn't know how original they were to the gun itself. Any spare bits you may have would be very much of interest if you were at all willing to part with them.

The bofors definitely made this project worth doing as a C9/B without a Bofors isn't the same and might cost a lot to put right!

Would appreciate you finding out anything about that other C9, and yes several seem to have surfaced lately. Getting too common for my liking :D

I take it you know of Michael Savouries (Muckleburgh collection) and Mr Fisher's on the Isle of White ?

Rob...................rnixartillery.

Heard of the Isle of White one. But didn't realise there was one at the Muckleburgh Collection. Is it restored?

,sights are like rocking horse ****e to find so you could get lucky but most probably have to make/copy them ,not an easy task but I know a very good fabricator (you know who you are ;) )

I found some sight elements in France so have patterns for that part but sights went through a lot of changes over time. C9B probably had Stiffkey sights which are very hard to find or make!

What you will find as you research preserved C9/B's is that they almost all differ when it comes to the Guns, you need to remember that most had the Ordnance removed before being de-mobbed or given new roles in civy street .

Most in preservation today have had replacement Guns fitted as they were restored and generally the ordnance has been removed from towed carriages and fitted to the truck,the key is to find a C9B that has never been dismantled so still carries its original gun.

I believe the muckleburgh one although restored has a replacement gun fitted ,my bet would be on the one at Firepower !

Rob......................rnixartillery

b4.jpg

b7.jpg

I believe the muckleburgh one although restored has a replacement gun fitted ,my bet would be on the one at Firepower !

Rob......................rnixartillery

Hi Rob,

I have had a bit to do with the one at Firepower. It was originally restored by its owner in Essex or thereabouts, many years ago, there was a write up in MVT magazine at the time. I did some work on it at REME workshops when it stood outside the Rotunda museum. It seems it had a naval Bofors on it. Years later, when they set up the Firepower museum it was sent of to an artillery / gun restorer who, I was told at the time, was going to fit the correct type of Bofors on it. So be aware it is not a vehicle that has been kept together throughout its life.

regards, Richard