The restoration of Dailmer Ferret 01DA04

CaptMax

Keep up the good work. It looks as though your internals were in good condition. Im going to sort out my Carby this weekend and hopefully take it for a spin around the block. With a Ferret, their is always something to fix.

Regards, Tim

Capt Max,

I don't want to criticise as you seem to be doing an excellent job but the inside of any hatches should be the same colour as the outside colour.

No problem Bob, and I do appreciate all comments and especially "constructive criticism". I was informed of this just last week and I will be correcting the problem when I paint the exterior. I did want to protect the freshly sandblasted hatch from rust so I guess it won't hurt to have silver for a base coat. I finished the shifter today as well as a bunch of interior panels over the transmission, here are before and after pictures of the shifter.

CaptMax

IMG_0696_zpseuj9m3kq.jpg

IMG_0727_zpsmixdnsiz.jpg

Today I was able to locate a picture of my ferret while in service.This was confirmed by the hull numbers. It was just plain "Luck" that I stumbled upon this through another forum.

I now have the complete history from Bovington along with a picture. This really made my day. :banana:

CaptMax

This%20is%20it_n_zpsenctabq7.jpg

01DA04%20419A_zpscrompech.jpg

Doing a great job with the renovation of your ferret, please remember to close the front side hatches when climbing out of the drivers area, as you will end up with flat fingers, they close as you press on them ! Prevention is better than a trip to the hospital.

Doing a great job with the renovation of your ferret, please remember to close the front side hatches when climbing out of the drivers area, as you will end up with flat fingers, they close as you press on them ! Prevention is better than a trip to the hospital.

Thanks for the tip, "Ferret Fingers" are one of the first things I have learned about. The restoration is not going as quickly as I would like, but then they never do. Hope to have the powerpak pulled here soon so I can detail it and sandblast the interior and hull. After that it should start going a bit faster. It's all the little details and interior items that take the majority of time. I am just so happy I have found a picture of it in service and that I can use the paint scheme I had intended. I knew the first time I saw this that it was meant for me.

CaptMax

No Charlie, that was my mistake. I actually got the pictures mixed up as I had two of these grenade boxes and restored both of them. I just got the pictures crossed. :blush:

The second box actually turned out nicer. :D

CaptMax

IMG_0814_zps3rmveesb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are some recent pictures.

First the engine compartment after the radiator, fan, and shroud have been removed:

Engine%20front_zpsxrsobyi7.jpg

More pictures of the radiator, it will be cleaned, flushed, and pressure tested:

IMG_1516_zpswdhugzgi.jpg

IMG_1507_zpsma3o7l3k.jpg

Next the hull being stripped of parts from the exterior:

Hull%20Parts%20Removed_zps96k5l87e.jpg

Removing%20Hull%20Parts_zpszrsvuw4u.jpg

An interior hull picture after removing many parts:

Interior%20Hull_zpsao3f2amq.jpg

And finally a pile of heavy metal to sandblast soon:

Parts%20to%20blast_zpsabka6ljp.jpg

IMG_1518_zps8uepmjco.jpg

Wiring pictures will be posted once I have all the harnesses removed and straightened out enough to keep everything sorted, it is a frightening sight to behold and definitely British overkill.

CaptMax

• 2 weeks later...

Today I made a new cover panel from aluminum as the old one was too bent up to straighten. This panel is mostly hidden under the commanders seat but I just couldn't bear to install the old one. Not sure how much the pictures will show but there are some rolled edges in several locations. Just used the old one for a template and then played panel beater.

CaptMax

IMG_1562_zpsnvxaqbqz.jpg

IMG_1563_zpsj6ulfbnh.jpg

Nice work! Judging by your workshop, you have some other projects going on? Do tell!

Oh, and I'm curious, on the smaller parts, are you cleaning and painting or are you also removing old paint? If removing old paint, how do you do it?

Nice work! Judging by your workshop, you have some other projects going on? Do tell!

Oh, and I'm curious, on the smaller parts, are you cleaning and painting or are you also removing old paint? If removing old paint, how do you do it?

Other projects are a Sexton, two M5's, a T16 carrier, and more.

Every part I have removed off the Ferret is being sandblasted to bare metal, primed with red lead primer, and being repainted. Too many projects and not enough time.

I've been working on the wiring and also making gaskets, I will post more pictures soon.

CaptMax

Wire loom pictures, these are a royal pain to build.:trustme:

First I make a western union splice, then solder it and use shrink tube over that to lengthen the wires.

Then after fabricating the loom from conduit and sleeving and reusing the brass ferules and fittings which are soldered, I then press fit a brass sleeve to hold the shielding on. Finish it off with the correct yellow tubing marked as the originals were.

CaptMax

IMG_1632_zpshsveyuav.jpg

IMG_1628_zpsuasdjx5b.jpg

IMG_1630_zps6c35p1vm.jpg

IMG_1634_zpsw9xcmkby.jpg

This weekend I am working on the oil filter and oil cooler, as well as the hull cross brace and tube from the carburetor to air cleaner. These should be easy compared to the wiring I am still working on. :rolleyes:

CaptMax

IMG_1692_zpsrsxy3ftb.jpg

IMG_1696_zpsglaketb7.jpg

IMG_1693_zpspytikys7.jpg

IMG_1695_zpsxlini6uy.jpg