AEC Matador restoration

Timmysteamman

Here are a couple of pictures of my matador in its current condition.

I'm after some major parts for it that are missing which include a winch and short propshafts and a starter motor, would anybody be able to help or point me in the right direction.

my first plan is to try and get the old girl fired up, she turns over which is a good start.

Cheers tim

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes it's a very challenging project and the cab (that doesn't realy exist anymore) is the biggest part of it so if there is some help at hand that will be great.

I'm based in essex, but don't mind adventuring around the country.

As for its history it did last work for a local showmans towing a fairground ride.

Cheers tim

picture of it many years back when at work

image.jpg

Be sure to lube the fuel pump governor before attempting to start up - I had a 7.7 run away when I started it for the first time which cost me the engine. The starter motor is nothing special and fits a lot of other vehicles including most AEC and Leyland engines (I think Gardener L series as well). Good luck with the restoration.

Vince

• 7 months later...
Here are a couple of pictures of my matador in its current condition.

I'm after some major parts for it that are missing which include a winch and short propshafts and a starter motor, would anybody be able to help or point me in the right direction.

my first plan is to try and get the old girl fired up, she turns over which is a good start.

Cheers tim

Very very interested in this thread! I (me and my dad) have its partner in crime, a FWD Sucoe, which was owned and operated by the same Presland and Sons Company. Its in a similar state of repair and needs a lot of love and attention, as well as a new cab! Have you any other history on either the truck or the Showmans its signwritten in? Be interesting to know more. More pictures would be good too, did you get it running? At what stage of restoration are you now?

Intrigued and very interested, Russ

An incredible project and absolute hats off to you for taking her on...I love the Matador and have a soft spot for them in part due to my Dad driving them in Korea ( many moons ago I posted up a lot of pictures of him and 'his' truck back in those days .....I wish you all the success possible with your project and very much look forward to seeing her come back together :)

Great project. We are slowly fabricating new Matador cabs so might be able to help with your project. Where are you located?

Any chance of seeing progress on your cabs Russell? I have this job ahead of me and here in Australia all of the Mats that did get here seem to have lost their original cabs so I have no chance of a pattern to copy. Would be great if someone has made drawings of the components as they went along, or even better has made a CAD program so multiples can be churned out.

Any chance of seeing progress on your cabs Russell? I have this job ahead of me and here in Australia all of the Mats that did get here seem to have lost their original cabs so I have no chance of a pattern to copy. Would be great if someone has made drawings of the components as they went along, or even better has made a CAD program so multiples can be churned out.

Im afraid my FWD Sucoe hasnt moved in the last 7/8 years and the cab is getting to a very very sorry state! Sorry I can't be of any use

Is that for a FWD Sucoe or AEC Matador?

I was referring to Matadors with the later roof. I am not aware of any of that FWD model ever being in Australia.

Not just dimensions would be useful but how each joint of the timber frame was designed. I have the 1/35th scale model which is accurate enough to guide layout but I don't think butt joints with plastic glue will cut it in full size!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...