GMC 353 - Ownership and spares...

paul connor

Hi Everyone,

I've come to the conclusion that my next MV will most probably be a 353. I have always wanted something of WW2 vintage and now I have storage and a workshop that will cope it seems like a good idea.

My question is to 353 owners - What are they like to own and service? Are parts available?

Also is there any good publications to read to 'get ahead' before I'm in the position to buy?

Thanks in advance guys

Paul

Great to own and drive and easy to service as they are simple basic technology and mostly well designed. Most parts are fairly readily available but exhaust manifolds have always been a problem, however I think this problem has been solved by Rex Ward getting some manufactured but at a price. Some parts are unavailable for the vehicles fitted with Timken 'split' axles but all parts are available for those fitted with 'banjo axles'. Anything else I can help with just ask.

Not withstanding the valid points Degsy makes and as long as you can afford the fuel and tyres a GMC is an excellent truck to own and drive.

I owned a B353 B2 for a number of years and did a lot of miles both in the UK and on tour. Excellent drive when wound up, KSU 498 where are you now?

Pete

Not withstanding the valid points Degsy makes and as long as you can afford the fuel and tyres a GMC is an excellent truck to own and drive.

I owned a B353 B2 for a number of years and did a lot of miles both in the UK and on tour. Excellent drive when wound up, KSU 498 where are you now?

Pete

Pete, have you trawled through Ian Garbutt,s "GMC CCKW Photo Blog " on the web which has a lot of GMC,s recorded on file.

A great book is the Becker/Dentzer GMC 352/353 book..if you can find one....the "Tankograd " TM series from Germany in English is another good book readily available... as are the "official " TM books either originals or copies. There are lots more if you look in the Normal places.

As already stated these are great bits of WW2 kit to own. having owned a Jeep for 20 years and many WD motorbikes I have only recently been an 353 owner. Taking mine to Normandy this year for 2 weeks and 975 miles confirmed that it was fun to drive, 100% reliable a lot easier to park than I anticipated and you get a great view of everything. ! spares are readily available, even if it does mean via the expensive Dutch and Belgium dealers who still seem to have everything at a last resort. You just need a 3/4" socket set for some of the chassis work and a bit of space and a deep enough pocket for gas at 5/7 mpg..

5-7mpg sounds rather low to me, running empty I would expect to get 8-10 mpg.

Ahhhh but 16 MPG sound better !!!!! :cool2:

They are great trucks to own, had my 352 for getting on for 18 years now and would never get rid of it, its now part of the family.

Probably the biggest problems with them are as Degsy says are tyres, they will perrish and crack before you wear them out which is a pain but most other parts on them are just like a big series land rover.

One other thing which has just poped into my mind is the two types of cab, open and closed, the open ones are about a foot wider so can nearly get 3 people in it and much cooler to drive the closed cabs are hot as far as I have been told, my 352 is an open one and would have no issues driving it in any kind of weather obviously the rain does get in with an open cab but its not as bad as you would think.

Good luck you will enjoy one if you are a bit mechanicaly minded.

Edited by R Cubed

Fun to drive, big.. lots of blind spots.

Spares are out there... but you will pay to get them shipped.

You won't realize how BIG a CCKW is until you have one in your driveway or garage.

Honestly a G506 is much better truck... same looks, but something you can live with. The 235 motors are easy to find (but original wartime motors are rare) and lots of civvy truck parts will work on a G506.

Tires can be saved if you have UV covers (most mobile home places will have them) and put the truck on blocks over the winter.

Buy the most complete truck you can afford.

• 2 months later...

Cheers guys,

Sorry for the late reply. I did read the posts and was off on a tangent looking for the books for my Xmas list! Hopefully Santa will bring them, I have been good this year... mostly.

Do any of you know the dimensions of the open cab with all the canvas removed. I'd like to know it'd fit inside the workshop for future reference, as indoor storage is always far better.

hopefully I shall be looking late next year for a vehicle, so I expect I shall be back for more advice!

Many thanks everyone.

Merry Xmas

Paul

Cheers guys,

Do any of you know the dimensions of the open cab with all the canvas removed. I'd like to know it'd fit inside the workshop for future reference, as indoor storage is always far better.

Merry Xmas

Paul

If you take the rear canvas and bows off, leave the seat slats in place and take the cab canvas and cab steel hoop off and fold the windscreen down it will only need just over 7 feet of height to go in and they are all 7 foot 6 inches to the sides of the rear bed in width.

Lengths vary 353 is longer than a 352 but then you get the options of with winch or no winch.

Height wise 109 inches with the back canvas on, 93 inches without the back canvas and hoops, 89 inches if you take the cab canvas and hoop off and 84 inches if you fold the windscreen down which is the height of the body side panels/seats. 88 inches wide and 270 inches long for a 353 with winch.

I have recently bough a 353 B2 open cab, the first GMC I have owned in many years and many military vehicles, it was 85% restored with all the hard work done so I'm just finishing it off and it will hopefully be on the road in the spring. I've been very impressed so far, easy to work on and not any more complex than a Jeep. Its not that large, but that's when its sat next to my Diamond T 969 and Autocar U8144 which I'm restoring as well !!!!

Get the Tankograd book its about £14 online and the manual TM9-801 can be found for a free PDF internet download if you search around for it on the interweb.

Ahhhh but 16 MPG sound better !!!!! :cool2:

They are great trucks to own, had my 352 for getting on for 18 years now and would never get rid of it, its now part of the family.

Probably the biggest problems with them are as Degsy says are tyres, they will perrish and crack before you wear them out which is a pain but most other parts on them are just like a big series land rover.

One other thing which has just poped into my mind is the two types of cab, open and closed, the open ones are about a foot wider so can nearly get 3 people in it and much cooler to drive the closed cabs are hot as far as I have been told, my 352 is an open one and would have no issues driving it in any kind of weather obviously the rain does get in with an open cab but its not as bad as you would think.

Good luck you will enjoy one if you are a bit mechanicaly minded.

Ahhh 16mpg, of course much better on the pocket, BUT you loose that great sound of the GMC straight six petrol as opposed to the old oil burner deisel........;)

Mind you your's did not sound tooooooo bad on Omaha.

Hi Raeme 21,

You're not seriously telling me you swopped that lovely GM 270 petrol motor for a clanking 2 stroke diesel are you ?

Why that's very nearly sacrilege.......!!! Shame on you.

BUT, us diesel aficionados must stick together, we are apparently a minority, and we could be persecuted.

Seasons greetings Phillip.

Hi Raeme 21,

You're not seriously telling me you swopped that lovely GM 270 petrol motor for a clanking 2 stroke diesel are you ?

Why that's very nearly sacrilege.......!!! Shame on you.

BUT, us diesel aficionados must stick together, we are apparently a minority, and we could be persecuted.

Seasons greetings Phillip.

Hi good buddy, Ethanol fuel only has a 6 month life span plus I get more to the gallon.

What could sound better in the early mornings in the quiet country,Detroit of cause. Starts first time, every time.

Merry Christmas Z man.

raeme 21

Hi Paul

The CCKW is a truck with a lot of personality :)

The closed cab is very stylish, but if you want to take two others with you in the cab, or have that option, then you need the Open Cab.

The best idea is to take someone along with you when you go to view.

Where abouts are you in the world ?

Kind regards

Ian (aka Vulture)