1944 Bedford OYD

peter75

Your restoration is looking top notch, Peter! Fantastic attention to detail! Where are you based?

Just one thing on the Jack... Is it not the Britool / Ern Lake type of Jack you need for the OY? The 4 ton type? of the same design as the one you gave pictured earlier in the thread?

You may know more than me on this...

If you look at the hand book there is a very good line drawing of the tool kit and it shows a shelley DL jack. also the measurements that guy sent me for the base plate match the floor plate. The jack in my picture is a 2ton MW jack to show the position of the jack and a bit of fun.

I may be wrong, dose anybody know what is correct or did they use what was available?

Ah! I stand corrected! I know the Shelley Jacks were often used... But until today I had no idea they were the ones on the OY inventory...

The handbooks I have (admittedly MW ones) show the 2 ton Ern Lake / Britool type... I had assumed the OY used the 4 ton variety of the same design... But you know what they say about assumption!

i actually have one of the larger Britool types spare (I plan on carrying two of the 2 ton jacks on the MW just in case) so if you find your 2 ton is surplus to requirements, do let me know...

I've been dragging all the bits together for my inventory... Quite enjoying it!

if you need any pictures of anything on mine... Measurements or whatever, please give me a shout!

well the weather has slowed me down but sill progressing slowly.

I have got the bottom of the left hand door done apart from the skin, I might get some one to tig weld the skin.

I have got pattens made that I will use on the other door so it should save some time.

010.jpg

Peter

003.jpg

005.jpg

011.jpg

• 2 months later...

Not a lot going on at the moment but I have collected some more parts.

018 (9).jpg

I have now got all the parts to finnish the tail gate.

I got a top half of the drivers window frame which I hope to cut down to replace the bottom of my window frame.

I also got a compresser for the gearbox.

Peter.

011 (10).jpg

I ran out of mig gas today which put pay to my welding job so I continued stripping the OY cab. I removed the left hand floor plate and battery box. Then removed the panels below the doors and unbolted the wooden floor frame from the bulk head. I have just got to remove the hand brake and rear cab mount to free the bottom half of the back panel and floor frame of the cab.

022.jpg

Peter.

016.jpg

025.jpg

I finished removing the back wall of the cab and the wooden floor frame today.

The cab is a lot worse than I ever thought. All the wood will have to be replaced. The right hand side of the bulk head where the floor frame bolts to is rotten and the left hand side is cracked almost right through.

007.jpg

I got the new ash wood the redo the cab frame, I was hopping to reuse some of the frame but had ordered enough to replace the lot. A friend is going to start on the wood work next week.

Peter.

001.jpg

005.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

After I had got the bumper and wings sorted I test fitted them and then removed the front panel and radiator,

045.jpg

I then removed the air cleaner and disconnected the bulkhead. The steering wheel would not move so I got a length of tube that fitted over the threads and gave it a belt with a hammer knocking the wheel on tighter but this was enough to brake the seal and the wheel came off with a hit with a rubber mallet without damage. Andy and Rob came over last night and helped me lift the bulkhead off.

057.jpg

Today I pressured washed the front of the truck down and removed the engine and gearbox and then wash them again.

076.jpg

Peter.

039.jpg

066.jpg

074.jpg

Its coming along well Pete, will have to pop over and review the progress before you finish it all in next to no time!

What colour were the wartime Bedford engines painted, I presume that orange / red is not original?

Is that a road draft tube at the front right of the engine?

Edited by ajmac

Excellent progress Peter, I know just how much time and effort is required to carry out this level of restoration, your doing a top job.

Pete

Thanks Pete, It is a lot of work just to pull thing apart and I have still got to put things back together but it dose give me an appreciation of the restorations on this forum.

Thanks Peter.

Its coming along well Pete, will have to pop over and review the progress before you finish it all in next to no time!

What colour were the wartime Bedford engines painted, I presume that orange / red is not original?

Is that a road draft tube at the front right of the engine?

Hi Alastair,

Your welcome to pop over. I hope to see some progress with the loyd soon.

I think the very early Bedford engines were green but were soon changed to black.

I think the tube is a breather tube as when the engine was running there was a lot of oil smoke coming out of it which I put down to the valve stem seals. I have not done a 28HP before so I have to get my head around it

Thanks Peter.

• 1 month later...

I had driven my self mad cleaning parts up and painting them so I have had a few weeks off the OY.

I set to Saturday afternoon and reassembled the front springs and fitted them. I also fitted the cab mounts and pedals to give me some motivation.

018.jpg

My mate has got the main wooden cross member made for the cab and he has done a very good job.

015.jpg

Peter.

017.jpg

014.jpg

I was suppost to be doing some carrier bits to day but I got them done by dinner so I had a look at the bonnet hinge. There was 3 segments missing

002.jpg

I hammed some strips of plate round the end of a drill bit then welded them in using the hinge pin to line up the new segments.

004.jpg

As this went well I bolted the front axle beam on, not easy on your own and it helps if you put it the right way round.

008.jpg

Peter.

001.jpg

006.jpg

Edited by peter75

• 5 months later...

I have not up dated this thread lately as I have not been able to post pictures. I think it is now fixed, thanks Ben.

before harvest I had a trip to Chris Morter's to collect some parts and was able to measure his OY spare wheel carrier so I could make the missing parts for mine.

I had got an original arm that clamps the wheel and an original thread and wing nut but needed the bracket to mount the two. I used some cut down 50/50/5mm box section as this was a perfect fit.

DSCN1165.jpg

I also cut the wood which it mounts to and the metal rub strip.

DSCN1218.jpg

The spare wheel clamp is now done apart from cutting down some bolts

Peter,

DSCN1163.jpg

DSCN1167.jpg

DSCN1169.jpg

DSCN1181.jpg

Been a 44 OY the spare wheel carrier is metal, the early ones are wood. early in the project I was able to borrow an original to copy. The person I borrowed it off asked me before harvest if I could repair his as one cross member was rotten. when I told him how long it would take and what it would cost he was not happy, so I offered to swap my new one for his original which we did.

So I set about repairing the original carrier, this involved making a new cross member the right length and then drilling out the spot welds on the rotten cross member but I also had to remove the end part as the cross member has to be slid in from the end.

DSCN1177.jpg

I don't have a picture of the finished carrier, I will try to post one at the weekend.

Peter.

DSCN1178.jpg

DSCN1179.jpg

I had forgotten how much work I had got done before harvest and how few pictures I took.

I finished building up the front axil, using the original king pins as they are in very good condition. I had to replace the end cap/covers with core plugs as some missing and others damaged. the break shoes were good as were the wheel bearings which I washed down. The wheel cylinders also cleaned up and had new seals fitted.

DSCN1175.jpg

I am a bit short of pictures here but I got the front axil built up and finished. I also got the brake lines fitted.

another little job I did was to rivet the tool clips to the floor plates and do a small repair to an engine side panel.

027.jpg

Peter.

DSCN1141.jpg

013.jpg