normandy trip 2015.

Billruston

hi all, never been befor and would quite like to go on the next, few questions, whens best time to book hotels & ferry etc, best places to go and see?, unluckily enough I had to cancel Holland arnham this year which im not happy about! so was thinking about doing Normandy this year.

next big question, if my gmc's done, I may contemplate taking that, whats taking vehicles out there like? were do you park them (as im more of a hotel man then a camper)?.thanks bill!

ps, anyone in arham look out for the lads in a Bedford MJ with paracharity, help the heros banners all tied around it, as they left this morning and I was ment to be in the passenger seat.

bill.

That is a question without end. Throw a stick anywhere in Normandy, and you'll land on something intresting. If you have the time, start at one end of the beaches and just follow the road. Everyone has thier own favourite places. Go inland and you have Caen, Tilly Sur Selles, Trun, Chambois St Lambert Sur Dive and the ford at Moissy. The Polish Memorial at The Mace is a must see There are lots of places to stay. The best bet is go to the Calvados tourist site and start there.

hi all, never been befor and would quite like to go on the next, few questions, whens best time to book hotels & ferry etc, best places to go and see?, unluckily enough I had to cancel Holland arnham this year which im not happy about! so was thinking about doing Normandy this year.

next big question, if my gmc's done, I may contemplate taking that, whats taking vehicles out there like? were do you park them (as im more of a hotel man then a camper)?.thanks bill!

ps, anyone in arham look out for the lads in a Bedford MJ with paracharity, help the heros banners all tied around it, as they left this morning and I was ment to be in the passenger seat.

bill.

Bill, I took my GMC 353 to Normandy this year for 14 days and 975 miles ( first time in truck ) and had no trouble parking it in most places given a bit of common sense prevails..i even parked it in the middle of Bayeux in a car park.. ) Its just a question of knowing where you can and cannot fit before you get into a muddle...if you remember a modern 7.5 ton truck can deliver to most places, even residential, then a GMC 352/3 can get in to...given a reasonable degree of confidence and truck handling skills...

I would suggest land at Caen (Quistreham ) and head west along the Beaches taking it all in until you arrive at St mere Eglise and maybe consider coming back via Cherbourg. There should be no problems with Hotel accom. now that the peak season is over...Ed abbott

thanks ed, that's what ill like to do, when would be the best time to book, couple months befor or is that to late?.

Bill, not sure if you mean your going this year...I think the earlier you book the better rate you get...but that might have just been the run up to Normandy this year in june when space was at a premium... Brittany ferries seem to have a cheaper rate for WW2 Military trucks which they rate as a "Camper van " just make sure its shorter than 6 metres long...if you book with them..What part of the week you go and return also affects the rate,,you're better off playing with the rate on line to see the best deal Ed

To go in June, the Up side, lots of other people with green macines. The Down side, lots of other people with green machines. July, UK school holidays, August French holidays. May and September are the best times if you wish to be able to travel without restrictions and not get crowded out of the places of intrest.