1955 Mk1 AEC Militant 6x4

single speed

Have put pics of this elsewhere on the forum, but thought I'd start a thread showing its restoration.

The general thought at the moments is to get the cab watertight for the winter as the shed will have to be given over to the steam roller when the bad weather sets in. Here's some pics of work so far as well as a pic of the day we collected her for comparison

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410625838.907561.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410625802.740743.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410625766.708253.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410625786.174559.jpg

Somewhere I have the enamel AEC badge torn off the front of 16EK36 by Driver Bradley (AKA Selwyn Froggit) and thrust tearfully into my hand as I left Glamorgan Barracks in late summer 1979.

Sadly '36 was a 6x6 but I think it will be close enough for gobmint work.

Yours for a suitable donation to a charidee of your choice and a cabbie in the finished article...........

Good start with the restoration, Stuart, nice pictures too. Is the cab floor in good nick or have you yet to get to it.

I can't help with the quarter light, but just in case you don't know, early and late cabs are different. If your quarterlight is rotten that would suggest it is a later cab,as the early cab window frames were made of brass and unlikely to rot. The two types are not interchangeable.

Good start with the restoration, Stuart, nice pictures too. Is the cab floor in good nick or have you yet to get to it.

I can't help with the quarter light, but just in case you don't know, early and late cabs are different. If your quarterlight is rotten that would suggest it is a later cab,as the early cab window frames were made of brass and unlikely to rot. The two types are not interchangeable.

Hi Rob,

Cab floor seems quite good, only found one hole near the battery isolator.

Thanks for the info on the cab windows, looks like a repair job then.....:cry:

Not much achieved this weekend, the boss had me gardening yesterday (although I was using a chainsaw to cut some trees down. I would have winched it, but the roots are under concrete and paviours). Shooting this morning but have managed another coat if oxide on the cab, as well as osf wheel. Unfortunately rain and light have now stopped play.

I'm still undecided as to colour of the cab any suggestions?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411316921.550981.jpg

Ok guys, your thought please.

We've decided she's going to be BR Mid Brunswich Green, possiibly lined.

So the question is - what colour do we paint the wheels? Do we do different coloured nuts etc?

Any one any good with photoshop and can come up with some suggestions?

There was a lovely Mk1 in a light green, lined with black mudguards, red chassis and wheels - looked really good. A classic paint scheme but it works well.

Here is a 6x4 in mid-Brunswick green with red, should give you an idea what it would look like, but I think a pale green will be much better if you're keeping mudguards black.

Screen Shot 2014-09-21 at 17.58.56.jpg

There was a lovely Mk1 in a light green, lined with black mudguards, red chassis and wheels - looked really good. A classic paint scheme but it works well…..

Found it! The mudguards were red, not black. I tried to buy this a long time ago but just missed it. Restored by Colin Pitt.

http://ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p828670090/h2273d4f0#h2273d4f0

• 3 weeks later...

Had a busy weekend!

After taking her out for a run last week, we noticed an oil leak from the rear of a hub. So it's drum off for investigation.

Also decided to take side panels off so they can be sorted during the dark nights. Problem was I fell through the bed twice it was so rotten, so got a bit rough with the crow bar and hammer!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413826022.180559.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413826035.479821.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413826046.146140.jpg