Jeep not engaging gear

hoppy

Bit of a strange one, no doubt will have to get the spanners out but last weekend went out to an event, Sunday afternoon drove home not a hint of a problem jeep drove well and parked up in the garage at home.

Yesterday pulled the jeep out started fine and went to pull off and didn't move an inch! Clutch pedal felt the same, no oil leaks/patches just nothing happening at all, any ideas?

My first thought was as suggested "transfer box in neutral". Easily done by catching the lever when getting out. If the main lever appears to select all gears normally this would be my first check, then if the transfer box is not the culprit try engaging 4wd IF the vehicle then moves it could be a rear half shaft broken. Hopefully it's just the transfer box in neutral though :-D

My first thought was as suggested "transfer box in neutral". Easily done by catching the lever when getting out. If the main lever appears to select all gears normally this would be my first check, then if the transfer box is not the culprit try engaging 4wd IF the vehicle then moves it could be a rear half shaft broken. Hopefully it's just the transfer box in neutral though :-D

Check, check and check again; transfer box was in neutral!!!!!

Can not think of anything in my defence apart from the abject horror of thinking how am I going to fix this

Must be the cheapest and fastest drive line fix available well done !

Used to be a favorite trick of a certain person who has a leaning towards water fowl (I think you can guess who I mean Richard.) :mad: Tended to spoil the street cred at shows...jump in engage gear rev up to leave with a flourish and all that could could be heard above the over revving engine was the amused titters of the on lookers:red:

Pete

This reminds me of an off road trip with friends in our jeeps many years ago.

I was going over a large mound of dirt and pine forest 'flotsam' when I lost all forward momentum. NO clutch ! Still in gear.

What's going on?

When I crawled underneath (lovely red moist dirt) I found a stout stick had flicked up between the floor and the clutch pedal arm stopping the pedal from returning to normal position.

PHEW! We were miles (and hours from anywhere).

Andrew B

This reminds me of an off road trip with friends in our jeeps many years ago.

I was going over a large mound of dirt and pine forest 'flotsam' when I lost all forward momentum. NO clutch ! Still in gear.

What's going on?

When I crawled underneath (lovely red moist dirt) I found a stout stick had flicked up between the floor and the clutch pedal arm stopping the pedal from returning to normal position.

PHEW! We were miles (and hours from anywhere).

Andrew B

Ho ho, reminds me of the time I applied the brakes of my Honda 50 as I approached a bend, and a leaf stem caught in the cable at the front wheel end and prevented the brake from releasing. We bucked our way up onto the pavement before I could stop it....

trevor