CVRT Alvis SABRE 03FD10 - On the Road -10 Sep 2014

PDonovan

• 3 months later...

Paul, I saw the video of when you swapped out the Striker and your Sabre is looking great.

I'm sorry I can't help with your clanking noises but just want to thank you for your videos as well as the proof that a CVR(T) will in fact fit in a normal garage. I expect the rear hull bin is off due to length? Perhaps once mine get here and I get to play with them I'll be more useful about diagnostics.

P_

Hi Paul,

you have the standard TN15 cavitation growl from the gearbox (which is easily curable) track noise is either as Chris says, the track not being held off the sprocket base ring by the rubber rings, or play in the final drive output bearing.

Terry

Sounds a lot smoother than my Samson. Terry, how is the gearbox cavitation noise easily curable? The noise emanating from my vehicles gearbox seems to come and go go with the weather.

The dreaded growl is dependent on oil viscosity so varies with temperature (and the oil you're using)

I did gearbox wear trials with additives some years ago with NULON ptfe additive. G60 works a treat, cured noise!

That's interesting. The temperature dependency probably explains why my vehicle makes more of a noise sometimes than others. I am using Morris 20/50 multigrade in the gearbox. That is the viscocity called for in the manual. Is that correct? Also is the additive you mentioned available, and was it approved & taken up by the MOD, or who ever else approves trees things?