1941 Morris Commercial 8cwt PU Restoration 2014

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The film of the engine block being run with no head reminded me of running in pistons and blocks on a driven dyno - at several thousand rpm you could see the piston clearly at the bottom of the cylinder, and only a faint image of it at the top. However, try and push your finger down the bore (I know, young and stupid) and you could certainly feel the presence of the piston at the top of its stroke.

Later I wondered whether a ball would balance on the top of the bore, perhaps luckily too late to try...

trevor

Would you mind sharing the paint code please? It does look very good.

Hi Russell

It's from 'War Paint'.

Khakl Green No3

Patt. 034594

Batch number AJ0835

I ordered this in October 2014. And Kerry matched it to a sample, I need to order another 5 litres so hope with the details above it can be matched......

Cheers

Jules

• 3 weeks later...

More progress on the PU

One fuel tank repaired and fitted, both tank trays made and fitted.

I bought from Frosts the Pur fuel tank sealer, good stuff, it sets like stone, though I have not filled with fuel yet.

Just got the passenger side to do.

Next I need to make new handbrake rods and fit. Then I can start to refit the cab, which is mostly done.

Things I'm still looking for:-

Radiator thermostat and capillary ( screws into top of rad)

Period Rad temp gauge

Exhaust

Jules

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi

i'm looking for a brass elbow for my drivers fuel tank like the one i have in the photo.................

i am wondering if it would be a standard British fitting ?

cheers

Jules

[ATTACH=CONFIG]114782[/ATTACH]

Paul Beck vintage parts have 1/8 bsp elbows (squared).

Look the same but not shore on size.

Peter.

Actually I have just realised that I not only need the brass elbow, but I need the long pickup tube that reaches to the bottom of the tank, Maybe this is all one unit ?

I have tried Pauk Beck but no good....."...

Any help gratefully received

Jules

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

i'm looking for a brass elbow for my drivers fuel tank like the one i have in the photo.................

i am wondering if it would be a standard British fitting ?

cheers

Jules

[ATTACH=CONFIG]114782[/ATTACH]

The elbow on your petrol tank looks a bit the same as the elbow on the inlet manifold of a C4 to take the vacuum to the autovac ?

IMG_1982.jpg

The elbow on your petrol tank looks a bit the same as the elbow on the inlet manifold of a C4 to take the vacuum to the autovac ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115519[/ATTACH]

Yes, i think it is the same as the passenger side. the one i need for the Drivers side has the 'push-pull' tap for the main and reserve pick up and the two pipes of different lengths in the tank.

Jules

The problem was the Carb, I had a spare solex with the CS8 project so sent it to the Carbureter exchange who rebuilt it. So I thought I would bolt it on the PU and job done, little did I know, until my mate told me yesterday that it was probably not set up for an Autovac system ! As these need different jet setting ?

So I found out the old original carb, quick clean, bolted on and Hay presto a running ! So there is a lesson learnt there.

Plenty more adjusting to do, but really need to rig up a temporary exhaust first

Jules

Actually I have just realised that I not only need the brass elbow, but I need the long pickup tube that reaches to the bottom of the tank, Maybe this is all one unit ?

I have tried Pauk Beck but no good....."...

Any help gratefully received

Jules

Result ! Thanks to Tom & Tobin I now have the fuel tank feed.

image.jpg

Did the RSM order you to "polish the blasted petrol cap"

Whats the deal with the Comet tank? Is it running ? A shame that the front line troopers had to wait til almost the wars end before the Comet was available .

yes Mike, i'll be on a charge if the Brass is not shining ! the rad cap and crank handle match too !

enjoyed the sun in the garden yesterday, not mowing the lawn as i had been instructed, but playing about with the two sets of Morris PU cab floors, trying to remember which bit belonged to each and then deciding how much i want or can reuse, i want to keep her as original as possible and so use as much as i can.

morris floor 4.JPG

morris floor 2.JPG

morris floor 1.JPG

So had a good few hours on the PU this weekend and fitted the cab, this is 80% original and i have rather repaired than make new where i can get away with it, i had to make new side cab sills as the original were rotten. also test fitted the doors and parts of the floor , though i will leave the floor unfixed as there are still a few things to tidy up below.

you will see that i have left the original door markings on the drivers door, and i'm going to varnish this.

so, thought as the sun was shining id roll her out and take a few photos..............

Jules

PU28.jpg

PU29.jpg

PU37.jpg

PU31.jpg

note also the original camo on the rear quarter panel, i'm going to replace this simple panel with new as the original is rotted at the bottom, but keep the original as an example.