Mystery Object No.24

This could be very easily if you recognise the units or take a lot of working out if you don't!

1. What army does this relate to?

2. When?

Please have a go. Just so that Richard doesn't get this in one shot, I'll post the answers at the weekend.

ORBAT1.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired

Googling for +"X corps" +"xv corps" brings up 2nd Army's final advance in Flanders in 1918.

The OrBat refers to MG Battalions and Rifle Divisions which would suggest that this was the right time frame.

However, due to the the regiments being referred to simply as Rifle Regiments, I'd guess they aren't British. Since my Google search also produces Corps assignments to the Schlieffen Plan, my guess is that this OrBat is that for Moltke's modified Schlieffen Plan of 1914.

This didn't work because the Schlieffen Plan required a massive Northern ball flying along the Belgian coast on the end of a weak chain, outflanking the BEF in Flanders and encircling Paris. Moltke strengthened the chain (the left flank) and the ball was obliged to try and outflank the BEF forward of Paris. This led to a revolving door effect and as the German right flank pushed along the coast to be slowed (and not outflanked) by the BEF, the French right flank pushed back into the vacuum.

Unable to snatch a quick victory in the West, the Germans were unable to entrain their troops, race them back across Germany and entrench within six weeks before Russian mobilisation was complete, so they ended up spending four years fighting on two fronts.

Or a meringue?

Hmmm.........Me thinks Alein is a bit off beam here, on his timescale :whistle: Looking at the titles of some of the units, we have, for example;

LAA Bty (don't think they had Light Anti Aircraft Batteries in WW1)

Hy Tk Bn (Heavy Tank Battalion)

A Tk Bty ( Anti Tank Battery)

I am going for a stab in the dark and saying this is Indian Army in the 1938 to 1945 era

Hmmm.........Me thinks Alein is a bit off beam here, on his timescale :whistle: Looking at the titles of some of the units, we have, for example;

LAA Bty (don't think they had Light Anti Aircraft Batteries in WW1)

Hy Tk Bn (Heavy Tank Battalion)

A Tk Bty ( Anti Tank Battery)

I am going for a stab in the dark and saying this is Indian Army in the 1938 to 1945 era

I didn't read THAT far down. I figured if I couldn't identify the combat major units, the administrative tail would be meaningless.

For example, an Armoured Division around 1980 consisted 1 * Armd Recce Regt (in front of course), 2 * Armd Regts and 3* Inf Regts. Everything else was mere detail.

Clive,

I am now going for the Soviet forces, possibly in the 1950's, my clues here, are 89 RL Regt equipped with 24 x 132mm rocket launchers and 90 MC Regt which had 23 x "Samson tanks". This could be a NATO designation as I can find no reference to it, the only Samson that I know, is the CVR(T) ARV, and this is not it!

The size of these Corps also leads me to look towards the East.

Am I getting warm, Clive?

Clive,

I am now going for the Soviet forces, possibly in the 1950's, my clues here, are 89 RL Regt equipped with 24 x 132mm rocket launchers and 90 MC Regt which had 23 x "Samson tanks". This could be a NATO designation as I can find no reference to it, the only Samson that I know, is the CVR(T) ARV, and this is not it!

The size of these Corps also leads me to look towards the East.

Am I getting warm, Clive?

Sort of, could be, but not necessarily.

Richard is the closest (although I think he is fantasising a bit).

Bit of a tricky one, this army does not actually exist! It is the Fantasian Army created by the British Army for training purposes.

Richard was the closest in that the Fantasians had a similarity to the Soviet Army & the era was correct, this handbook is from 1953.

ORBAT4.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo links repaired

Thanks, Clive,

I waited no end of time trying to find out what "Samson tanks" were : :|

Now you say it was all a fantasy :dunno:

They also had Goliath & Bombolans AFVs but if you saw those then you may have smelt a rat. The aircraft were interesting Scorpion, Tarantula, Cobra, Python, Asp & Viper. A few names have since got used amongst those including Cobra & Python which were ATGWs.