terrierman

i received interesting information about my K9

got Finnish Army reg number........ SA - 2719

Finland bought or got two K9s and army received them 17.03.1970

vehicles came with decomissioned Thunderbird mk1 missiles

....later both trucks were sold at auction 1980

( Markku Mäkipirtti )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbird_%28missile%29

Finnish Army - planned purchase of either Thunderbird or Bloodhound was eventually cancelled, but only after deactivated training missiles had been delivered in the late 1960s. These were used in the training role until 1979.

is there any info available about Thunderbird missile system´s K9 s ?

pekka

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i received interesting information about my K9

got Finnish Army reg number........ SA - 2719

Finland bought or got two K9s and army received them 17.03.1970

vehicles came with decomissioned Thunderbird mk1 missiles

....later both trucks were sold at auction 1980

( Markku Mäkipirtti )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbird_%28missile%29

Finnish Army - planned purchase of either Thunderbird or Bloodhound was eventually cancelled, but only after deactivated training missiles had been delivered in the late 1960s. These were used in the training role until 1979.

is there any info available about Thunderbird missile system´s K9 s ?

pekka

Hi Pekka,

There were at least two designations of K9 associated with missiles;

314686.01.235 Test Equipment, Guided Missile, Truck Mounted, SAGW1 Mk1, Austin K9

314645.01.235 Test Station, Guided Missile, Truck Mounted, sensitivity, SAGW1 Mk1, Austin K9

Hi Pekka,

There were at least two designations of K9 associated with missiles;

314686.01.235 Test Equipment, Guided Missile, Truck Mounted, SAGW1 Mk1, Austin K9

314645.01.235 Test Station, Guided Missile, Truck Mounted, sensitivity, SAGW1 Mk1, Austin K9

hi Richard

my K9 has S of A (School of Artillery ) stickers under the latest paint

the School had something to do with Thunderbirds also ?

and as the wikipedia says :

The production Red Shoes missile was officially named Thunderbird.

It entered service in 1959 and equipped 36 and 37 Heavy Air Defence Regiments, Royal Artillery.

It was the first British designed and produced missile to go into service with the British Army.

pekka

The production Red Shoes missile was officially named Thunderbird.

Although to be picky Red Shoes was the MoS code that in production the manufacturer called Thunderbird. Army documents predominantly titled it as SAGW or Guided Missile, K1A1 although often the inner text would use Thunderbird.

I used to have a large trailer that was part of Yellow River that was the radar for Red Shoes. I just love all these colours :D

Richard & Clive

...thanks

...my translation from finnish to english is poor

got this info

missile Battery.. or Battalion there were

-two vehicles (missile section leaderchip position)

-one vehicle (battery fire command center)

-two (test vehicles) K9?

pekka

Pekka this is the Command Post set up with two RL Bedfords, unfortunately I don't have the book for the test facilities.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104306[/ATTACH]

Clive

... there was a cheap poorman´s finnish version... no warhead and rocket fuel .. hah!! :=)

in the future i´ll go to Anti - Aircraft museum Tuusula and The National Archives

and i´ll try to dig out more info

and possibly paperwork about the system

pekka

It may be marked with the opening temperature, so all you have to do is place it in a pan of water, heat the water gently, and use a thermometer to check that it opens and then later closes at that temperature. I would leave it in the housing, though, it might be a tad fragile after all these years.

trevor

Pekka, my apologies, I forgot all about posting that diagram of the water pump for you.

Dismantling it is fairly simple - take the nut and washer off the end of the shaft, then drift the shaft and impeller out of the housing. Remove the retaining ring at the front of the housing, then you can remove the grease retainer and bearings. Take care to keep all the spacers etc. in the right order.

When refitting, you need to make sure the carbon seal is held against the body correctly, which you can do by making sure the gland spring holds the seal against the shoulder on the shaft as you fit the shaft.

As Trevor says, you can best test the thermostat by putting it in a pan of water, bringing it up to close to boiling and seeing if the thermostat opens.

It's a long time since I've looked at a K9 thermostat, but that one doesn't look right to me - I'm sure the end should be square and the bellows not compressed / bent like that. If you give me a day or two I'll see if I have another one to compare it with.

Might as well reverse flush the radiator while you have it out.