Austn K9. GS

terrierman

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooohh, I do love K9's!

My Dads owned more than a couple, his last GS K9 was registered GSU 427.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19675&d=1247931152

Last heard of in a private MV collection in Bolton.

This next was was bought directly from the garage that ran it as there breakdown truck in Birkdale Southport. Pictured at a rally in about '84.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19659&d=1247929900

Heres one available for film work.

http://www.squadease.co.uk/vehicles.html

The IOW GS K9 was advertised for sale about 3/4 years back. I too have some pictures of it that I'll dig out.

It looks very similar but it is lacking the rectangular strip on the edge to attatch to the cupola side.

cushion is about 5 cm thick ... horsehair ? or something else

it looks and i think it is original

it was inside my K 9 G S truck (ex finnish army truck ?)

pekka

DSCN0092.jpg

DSCN0089.jpg

The square flap could have torn off. Certainly looks as though it could be original - the ones on mine were padded with horsehair or similar as well (just to help them rot out when they got wet).

Pekka, I think we need to see photos of this K9.

As Sean says Pekka would love to see a picture of your K9

Regards

John.

All the bits are there though Pekka,

What back did it have on it and what back are you putting on it

John

hi John

based on the chassis number 205751 it is Radio Station

and the british army reg number is then 86 BG 97

(i think it is not 36 BG 97 Cargo/ FFW--MK1

because the correct chassis number must be then 200751)

it has later mod bonnet , maybe the original was damaged or

British / Finnish army changet it

.... possibly to get more cool air to radiator (..if it is ex UN vehicle and was in Suez)

it is mystery truck for finnish army use because it is RHD

rumours say there were atleast two K9 in our army (maybe more?)

i have sent an enquiry to finnish war museum

i think the Radio box is "mission impossible" to source

so one desperate way is to make "original" repro cargo back...i do not know yet

so first i have to wait answers from our war museum

Bovington has AFV history cards but where are the other vehicle cards ?

i will post more pics if you like to see more rusted details

pekka

Pekka, that looks like 86 BG 97 from the photo. Interesting that it's GS not FFW on the plate.

Radio bodies do come up reasonably regularly, say once or twice a year. There's a radio repair one for sale at the moment but it's a wreck and he wants lots of money for it. Getting one to Finland wouldn't be cheap, either.

Have to say, although the paint's horrible it doesn't look too bad underneath.

The red lever is to engage the auxiliary charging set for the radios. There was an auxiliary gearbox on the inside of the chassis rail that was driven by V belts from a pulley on the front of the transfer box. A short shaft ran from the auxiliary gearbox to a large dynamo mounted on the left hand side of the chassis inside the chassis rail, rearward of the transfer box. To run the dynamo you would put the transfer box in neutral, engage the auxiliary gearbox and run the engine. I have got a gearbox and dynamo somewhere, if I find them I'll post some photos.

It would be interesting to know the history of their use in Finland.

Have to say, Pekka, if it was used by the Finnish Army they don't seem to have done much to it. All the fittings, markings, bits and pieces and paint appear still to be British.

Wally, reference our discussion about engine paint, does that engine look DBG or MBG to you? I can't quite decide if it's DBG (by comparison with body colour) or just old, tired, oxidised and oily MBG. Camera / screen might be throwing it off as well.

HI SEAN k9S Registration numbers 81 BG 97 TO 87 BG 46 were supplied under contract 6/V 7877 as wireless repair Trucks as to the engine colour it does look like some of what is shown towards the rear of the engine is a lighter shade of green than that of the surrounding painted surfaces which are BDG so it could well be MBG PEKKA the RLC MUSEUM DEEPCUT CAMBERLEY SURREY should have your K9s history card

REGARDS WALLY

Have to say, Pekka, if it was used by the Finnish Army they don't seem to have done much to it. All the fittings, markings, bits and pieces and paint appear still to be British.

Wally, reference our discussion about engine paint, does that engine look DBG or MBG to you? I can't quite decide if it's DBG (by comparison with body colour) or just old, tired, oxidised and oily MBG. Camera / screen might be throwing it off as well.

previous owner (ex-soldier)said it is ex finnish army truck..so i have to rely on him until other info is found

he bought it from 70 years old guy who originally bought it from gov. auction 1978

and the old guy said there was an other K9 too

both were without the back

also previous owner said he met couple of army guys who remembered the truck

that´s why i sent an enquiry to war museum

so if there´s no finnish history available i will restore it to british

i have read that our troops got spare parts from the british REME

also our guys got help from their workshops in Cyprus and maybe UNEF

our troops loaned Landys , Bedford RLs and maybe Austins too and Ferrets with the british crew (Cyprus)

i found " fuel economy field test in the desert" (UNEF) for these vehicles

but it is in finnish........ page 23 of 98

https://www.doria.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/92383/SM222.pdf?sequence=2

Ajoneuvo

Kulutus / 100 km Amerikkalainen 3 tonnin kuorma-auto m37 42 L

Englantilainen 3 tonnin kuorma-auto Bedford-r 48,5 L

Englantilainen 1 tonnin kuorma-auto Austin 38,7 L

Englantilainen Land Rover-86 18,8L

there are some interesting stories.... so try to copy-paste to google-translator

i suppose K9s did not used in finland because of RHD

-------------------------

the truck has three main layers of paint

DBG ,desert tan, white and light matt green

there are also couple of visible stickers under the latest green paint

difficult to say but i think the engine colour is original factory DBG

the truck is now about 400km from my home so the colour is from the camera

pekka

DSCN0056.jpg

DSCN0072.jpg

DSCN0075.jpg

DSCN0080.jpg

DSCN0014.jpg

Google Translate made a lousy job of that PDF, but thanks for the link, Pekka. As I read it they're suggesting that because troop numbers had to be built up quickly, they couldn't get transport from Finland quickly enough so borrowed vehicles from the British.

The dates of the Finnish peacekeeping mission in Cyprus, 1964 to 1977, might tie in well with the K9 being sold in 1978 - i.e. they brought it back and then disposed of it fairly quickly.

If as Wally says it was a radio repair vehicle the body John Morter's got would be correct for it, BUT that body is in very poor condition even just from the photos.

Those fuel consumption figures are really poor, I'd expect double that from my K9s and RL!

Is it DBG on the bottom (original factory), then matt light stone (desert tan), then white, then matt NATO green on top? That might be consistent with going to the middle east, then UN service. Be interesting to uncover those markings.

Wally, thanks for the comments. That does look as though there's MBG on the rocker cover at the back, with maybe DBG over (or discoloured / oily MBG). Interesting about the vehicles on that contract.

Wally. thanks ! but are you sure it is Radio repair

K9 register says it is Radio Station

it is quite possible that engine colour is MBG if it has been changed or re-con.

but i thought all re-con. engines are light blue

as it is said, (pdf-file) continuous vehicle painting was a big problem...needed a lot of manpower

Sean. in the box there are old braided sparkplug cables and plugs

and by the way.... is it 12v or 24v ? (classified stupid question !):whistle:

fuel economy test was in the desert...no asphalt ...sand and rocks & cart path

and

if not have seen this

battle damaged Bedford RL..maybe it survived

http://www.holkkari.net/gallery/main.php?g2_view=keyalbum.KeywordAlbum&g2_keyword=evakuointi

pekka

Braided plugs and cables are for the FFW ignition. The vehicle electrical system is 12V but the auxiliary dynamo and control box are 24V. Yours looks as though it has the correct FFW distributor but someone's taken the plugs and leads off and put civvy ones on. Maybe they had ignition problems.

Military recon engines (and, I think, a lot of original ones from Austin) are sky blue, mid bronze green is Austin's standard factory engine colour (per Mini, A40, etc. etc.) There's a discussion on engine colours in John's painting topic:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?47743-Painting