Austn K9. GS

terrierman

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think very few; you were lucky to find that GS body for yours. I've only ever seen two GS K9s in half decent condition, the RAF one G506 refers to and another in deep bronze green, plus four or five wrecks. There are a few others around with non standard civvy bodies on. I'm not counting the Series 3 diesel version, of which I can think of five or six.

Manufactured, a lot!

Edited by Sean N

Just wondered how many Austin K9 Lorries with the GS Body are still around, (Road Worthy) and how many were manufactured.

Regards

John

One reason why GS bodied K9 are now so scarce, a large majority where converted as Breakdown trucks, they where very popular, a cheap 4x4 medium size truck, nearly all had the GS body cut down, shortened or removed, then a lot stood outside for years and the body rotted away

Nice one in Watford...Very original. I know cos I've helped look after her for the last 38 years and driven her for 33.

was owned by local scout group until minibus laws changed re bench seats.

She's the reason I play with the green stuff!:-D

One reason why GS bodied K9 are now so scarce, a large majority where converted as Breakdown trucks, they where very popular, a cheap 4x4 medium size truck, nearly all had the GS body cut down, shortened or removed, then a lot stood outside for years and the body rotted away

Absolutely, Nick, they were converted to all sorts of things. Lime spreaders seemed to be a popular one.

One thing I've never been quite sure of is whether the box body vehicles were originally built like that. I've always had a feeling, without any real evidence, that some were rebuilt from GS and FFW cargo trucks. Any of the historians among us know?

Didn't happen unless you've got photographic evidence! :D

Here we go then!

Picture 440.jpg

First one when purchased by the scout group in 1968,

second taken about three years ago.

Only modification was the addition of the indicators and the bonnet changed for a later one with the additional cooling slots

.:cool2:

Austin purchased 1968.jpg

I have somewhere John, but they'll take a lot of finding so don't hold your breath!

Chris, I can't quite see, that's a steel body on that isn't it?

Sean, yes it's steel bodied.

There was a wooden bodied one being repaired somewhere in Northants a couple of years ago which was used as a recovery truck at Silverstone race track. I haven't heard anything about it though for a while.

I remember seeing another wooden bodied one at a scrapyard in Watford in the early eighties which was later bought and restored by a chap who ran an Army cadet group. He used it for towing a 25 pounder and used to park it in Berkhamsted, but I last saw that one about ten years ago.

Edited by rustystuff

What sort of hatch have you on the Truck, is it original,

Are they hard to come by

The original hatch was canvas with a flap at the back screwed to the rear of the hatch, it had a spring cord around the rim (a bit like a net curtain wire) and an aluminium stiffening bar which ran from side to side.

Unfortunately we lost ours returning from a show back in the eighties.

When the truck was owned by the Scouts they fitted an aluminium sheet on the the hatch underneath the canvas for security and to stop the kids sticking their heads out!

Been meaning to see about getting a replacement made for years!

The original hatch was canvas with a flap at the back screwed to the rear of the hatch, it had a spring cord around the rim (a bit like a net curtain wire) and an aluminium stiffening bar which ran from side to side.

Unfortunately we lost ours returning from a show back in the eighties.

When the truck was owned by the Scouts they fitted an aluminium sheet on the the hatch underneath the canvas for security and to stop the kids sticking their heads out!

Been meaning to see about getting a replacement made for years!

Thanks for Reply,

I Just wondered what they looked like, has anyone got a picture of the original hatch

John.

il post a picture of my truck from a few weeks ago

Indeed Dad bought two K9 Cargoes from Houseman in Pateley bridge in 1966/67. The first cost £100 and the second £120 (you could have had an MRA1 for £75)

They were both brand new (less than 100 miles on either of them).

Both were cargo but one was FFW with screened ignition (that didnt last long!!)

They had steel bodies but both were cut for the work they did (collecting landscaping Limestone from the Cumbrian fells)

We used to put about 4 ton on them and drive them across country!!

The chassis used to break just in front of the front rear spring hanger but flitch plates soon solved that. Also a bit prone to dropping valves

First lorry I ever drove (at around 11 years old!!!)

Indeed Dad bought two K9 Cargoes from Houseman in Pateley bridge in 1966/67. The first cost £100 and the second £120 (you could have had an MRA1 for £75)

They were both brand new (less than 100 miles on either of them).

Both were cargo but one was FFW with screened ignition (that didnt last long!!)

They had steel bodies but both were cut for the work they did (collecting landscaping Limestone from the Cumbrian fells)

We used to put about 4 ton on them and drive them across country!!

The chassis used to break just in front of the front rear spring hanger but flitch plates soon solved that. Also a bit prone to dropping valves

First lorry I ever drove (at around 11 years old!!!)

Wow that must have been fun Brooky driving a big lorry aged 11.

Has anyone got a picture of the K9 GS on the Isle of Wight, painted RAF blue

Regards

John

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer.

Anyone else got a photo? I remember it as a wooden body and fairly sound but with the paint very faded.

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer.

Anyone else got a photo? I remember it as a wooden body and fairly sound but with the paint very faded.

Sorry Sean

Forgot id already asked that Question, must be an age thing:)

Regards

John