War & Peace Revival 2014 - If you no longer attend why not?

LarryH57

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went this year with the carrier (which was finished less than a week before the show) don't think I will take it back the cost for transport was off the chart ! I was not massively impressed with the way the traffic management was deployed.... And for me personally there was not a good balance between British Canadian and out commonwealth family, US and axis... It seemed very top heavy with US and axis kit. People cutting about in SS kit and German uniform with swastika's on etc does not sit very well with me ( and I don't want to start a bun fight here it's only my opinion and I understand that that part of the war should be displayed)

I agree with you rich but you're missing the point, it's because of those yank lovers and german fanciers that us real englishmen must put on a good show and let everyone know that our grandfathers also took part in ww2 and by doing this we may tip the scales in our favour and in some small way honour our own veterans before everyone else's :goodidea:

I agree with you rich but you're missing the point, it's because of those yank lovers and german fanciers that us real englishmen must put on a good show and let everyone know that our grandfathers also took part in ww2 and by doing this we may tip the scales in our favour and in some small way honour our own veterans before everyone else's :goodidea:

I allways found it strange a lot of Brits rather portray anything else than their family's/countrys history.

Offcourse to each his own

maybe people want to portray what they see on the tv and let's face it the yanks have a cool image and the kit looks great and as for the germans they are the bad boys which is also cool to some people.

personally I do it to raise awareness of our grandfathers and let the next generation know it wasn't all down to the americans (it's a long lonely struggle) the good news is I'm not entirely on my own and there are a few people I have been "grooming" to join me in the quest and in a few years time there will be 2 or 3 more ww2 british tanks on the scene.

rick

maybe people want to portray what they see on the tv and let's face it the yanks have a cool image and the kit looks great and as for the germans they are the bad boys which is also cool to some people.

personally I do it to raise awareness of our grandfathers and let the next generation know it wasn't all down to the americans (it's a long lonely struggle) the good news is I'm not entirely on my own and there are a few people I have been "grooming" to join me in the quest and in a few years time there will be 2 or 3 more ww2 british tanks on the scene.

rick

Rick....who you been "grooming" now?.

Kevin.

rick

I love the "Yank" kit I also like some of the "Brit" kit........." it wasn't all down to the americans (it's a long lonely struggle) the good news is I'm not entirely on my own"

Of course you are right, but without them there is NO doubt we may all not have been speaking English.........

"Over here, Over paid, & Over sexed.........Yipeeeeeeeeeee ;)

I love the "Yank" kit I also like some of the "Brit" kit........." it wasn't all down to the americans (it's a long lonely struggle) the good news is I'm not entirely on my own"

Of course you are right, but without them there is NO doubt we may all not have been speaking English.........

"Over here, Over paid, & Over sexed.........Yipeeeeeeeeeee ;)

It's unfortunate you find it amusing to be provocative you may do well to research the American code blue plan of the thirties to invade Canada to draw Britain and the Commonwealth into a war of attrition

Aren't we losing the plot, I thought this was about why you no longer attended this years War & Peace show, we have been going for the last 10 years, but didn't attend this year as we had other commitments, we will however be going down next year, even after reading all the comments and hope fully a lot of the problems will have been sorted out by then

Edited by xmod90

It's unfortunate you find it amusing to be provocative you may do well to research the American code blue plan of the thirties to invade Canada to draw Britain and the Commonwealth into a war of attrition

Lighten up fella, I was was NOT being provocative.

Aren't we losing the plot, I thought this was about why you no longer attended this years War & Peace show, we have been going for the last 10 years, but didn't attend this year as we had other commitments, we will however be going down next year, even after reading all the comments and hope fully a lot of the problems will have been sorted out by then

We did attend this year and last and the one before and many more besides, it was full of US-Kit former Eastern Bloc and if you looked some quite unusual vehicles superbly restored. Besides most of the owners welcomed interest shown in their pride and joy. While there was some British and Canadian kit nothing like that seen at previous shows for me a disappointment. Will we attend next year, not sure probably not and not because the lack of British and Commonwealth kit more to do with as mentioned before on this forum the attitude behaviour and double standards shown towards participants by show staff, and please don’t tell me the organisers are interested or care personal experience dictates otherwise.

We did attend this year and last and the one before and many more besides, it was full of US-Kit former Eastern Bloc and if you looked some quite unusual vehicles superbly restored. Besides most of the owners welcomed interest shown in their pride and joy. While there was some British and Canadian kit nothing like that seen at previous shows for me a disappointment. Will we attend next year, not sure probably not and not because the lack of British and Commonwealth kit more to do with as mentioned before on this forum the attitude behaviour and double standards shown towards participants by show staff, and please don’t tell me the organisers are interested or care personal experience dictates otherwise.

You are correct,there was a lot of US war time kit (there was a lot built during the war). I was up in Haigs field and TBH very little US kit up there. Went into The post war field nealy full of Land Rovers and British kit.

I'm not sure that people seek out the Brit stuff, it was there...and in force.Loads of 432, Ferrets,Champs.

Couple of mates in Kitcheners surrounded by 101's

Are you saying there was a lack War time Brit kit, because I came away this year thinking there was more post war Brit gear there,but of course that may be 70 years old one day.

However we may not agree on the exact amount of BRIT V US kit I totally agree with you sentiments re some of the staff at the show. It is about time that side of things got sorted.

My dad had his 101fc with him, lovingly restored and on show in the arena a lot.

Last year there was a comment on the amount of land rovers at the show.

ps, on the 2013 dvd both my wife and my dad gave a interview... We are the lot with a load of flags, including a falklands one :) big thanks to people near Twickingham offroaders for charging the batteries for us. I need a small diesel engine for that generator :(

cheers. arjan

ps if Colin from S&C tat can give me a pm , it is appriciated.

Interesting comments all; I won't be attending I don't think until there is a bit more effort to get the LV section of the Souvenir Programme to be a bit more diverse and not overloaded with one particular type. It might make things interesting if they asked for no more than 30 of each type and also checked that any military vehicle being displayed was a) a military vehicle and b) still looked like one and not a 'pimp my ride' dune buggy/monster 4x4.

Edited by LarryH57

You are correct,there was a lot of US war time kit (there was a lot built during the war). I was up in Haigs field and TBH very little US kit up there. Went into The post war field nealy full of Land Rovers and British kit.

I'm not sure that people seek out the Brit stuff, it was there...and in force.Loads of 432, Ferrets,Champs.

Couple of mates in Kitcheners surrounded by 101's

Are you saying there was a lack War time Brit kit, because I came away this year thinking there was more post war Brit gear there,but of course that may be 70 years old one day.

However we may not agree on the exact amount of BRIT V US kit I totally agree with you sentiments re some of the staff at the show. It is about time that side of things got sorted.

Yes I should have been more to the point, I was looking for wartime British and Canadian trucks, sorry lorries in particular Chevey C15 A with a 12cab, I need to check a few things before the final push on a friends Chevey rebuild

But you are never going to have a lot of British vehicles - we didn't produce them in the numbers the Americans did.

While you are partially correct, Britain didn't get American aid post war so what was not reused was scraped to produce new products while US gave Europe free aid