Bayonet identification needed.

I was recently bequeathed a number of bayonets, khukuris and foils by an old friend but I am unable to identify two of the bayonets.

Also included in the bequeath was a French Artillery Short Sword with the numbers 537 on the hilt.

The first one is probably WWI vintage as the font of the marks look similar to other WWI bayonets I have. This one is longer being 16 3/16th inches (416mm) overall with a 11 inch blade (279mm). It has a large hooked quillon and has a spike type of blade with 4 sides. There is some machined flattening on the sides of the spike.( Different on each side.) The ricasso has some marks on the it. There are the letters SG on the lower side and unidentifiable crown or something on the upper. There are also an identifying mark E9?5 on the quillon.

The second one is Asian in appearance as the mark looks Japanese or similar. It is just over 14 inches long (370mm) and has a blade of 9 5/8th inches (246mm). and a hooked quillon.

Any help identifying these will be appreciated.

Regards Rick.

Bayonets 002.JPG

bayonets JackF 037a.jpg

Bayonets 004.JPG

Bayonets 003.JPG

bayonets JackF 008a.JPG

Bayonets 011.JPG

Bayonets 010.JPG

Bayonets 015.JPG

Bayonets 013.JPG

Bayonets 012.JPG

Bayonets 016.JPG

bayonets JackF 032a.jpg

Nice little collection and present to be left.

I have one the same as the fourth one down, which is dated around WWI and is American, but suspect a standard pattern rifle sword.

Good luck with the research. I am sure someone will assist you in tracing the ones you have highlighted.

Regards

Wayne

Nice little collection and present to be left.

I have one the same as the fourth one down, which is dated around WWI and is American, but suspect a standard pattern rifle sword.

Good luck with the research. I am sure someone will assist you in tracing the ones you have highlighted.

Regards

Wayne

G'day Wayne,

Thanks for that.

The fourth one is actually an Australian Lithgow made SMLE bayonet. It is mint, never even placed into a scabbard.

I have a USA. Remington WWI bayonet which has two creased in each side of the wood work to differentiate them from the .303cal. bayonets as they are made for the .306cal and the slot won't fit a .303cal. rifle. They are so alike that they had to mark them to avoid grabbing the wrong one in an emergency.

Regards Rick.

G'day Wayne,

Thanks for that.

I have a USA. Remington WWI bayonet which has two creased in each side of the wood work to differentiate them from the .303cal. bayonets as they are made for the .306cal and the slot won't fit a .303cal. rifle. They are so alike that they had to mark them to avoid grabbing the wrong one in an emergency.

Regards Rick.

That's the fellow I have too. I have the original scabbard for it too with dark green leather etc. I will take a picture and upload at some point.

At first I thought it was the British one, as used on the LE No4 due to looks but then spotted the US markings and Remington insignia.

Cheers

I was recently bequeathed a number of bayonets, khukuris and foils by an old friend but I am unable to identify two of the bayonets.

Also included in the bequeath was a French Artillery Short Sword with the numbers 537 on the hilt.

The first one is probably WWI vintage as the font of the marks look similar to other WWI bayonets I have. This one is longer being 16 3/16th inches (416mm) overall with a 11 inch blade (279mm). It has a large hooked quillon and has a spike type of blade with 4 sides. There is some machined flattening on the sides of the spike.( Different on each side.) The ricasso has some marks on the it. There are the letters SG on the lower side and unidentifiable crown or something on the upper. There are also an identifying mark E9?5 on the quillon.

The second one is Asian in appearance as the mark looks Japanese or similar. It is just over 14 inches long (370mm) and has a blade of 9 5/8th inches (246mm). and a hooked quillon.

Any help identifying these will be appreciated.

Regards Rick.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94242[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]94253[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]94252[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]94251[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]94250[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]94249[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]94248[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]94247[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]94246[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]94245[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]94244[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]94243[/ATTACH]

The fifth bayonet down is definitely a Swedish 6.5x55 Mauser.