What's Sean got now?

Sean N

Question

I'm having a big clearout, and keep coming across mystery parts. Often I've either forgotten what they are or didn't know in the first place.

I thought it might be interesting to post some of them up here as an on-going quiz and see if anyone can identify them, rather along the lines of Clive's Mystery Objects (though probably much less mysterious) - the difference being that I won't be able to tell you if you're right or not!

Most are vehicle parts, so it'll probably be obvious what they are generally - a light, a speedometer, whatever - but perhaps not the details or what they're from. Given the sources they're probably mostly British, as well - I don't think that's giving too much away!

OK, first item, maybe obvious but I don't know what it's from and I find it interesting:

IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

• Answers 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It's a valve guide, I think, but not as I know it. Any ideas?

Not sure where the photo's gone, but this was the phosphor bronze guide with rounded ends. Think they must be Thornycroft, as they have a Thornycroft-like part number stamped very small at one end, and the Thornycroft valves I have are a sliding fit in them.

Some more bits, not exciting but they intrigue me:

Has someone lost their belt? Leather, marked HA&S 1941. Odd the way the buckle part's done.

IMG_2930vs.jpg

This looks intriguingly old in style and markings but probably isn't:

IMG_2856vs.jpg

I can't visualise this bit on a Scammell, even though the label says pretty much what it does:

IMG_2842vs.jpg

9AHY, so heavy armour, but a tiny lever for a big vehicle!

IMG_1636vs.jpg

Fuel gauge X.47169. Might be Singer.

IMG_3420s-1.jpg

Edited by Sean N

Must try to find less obscure parts, obviously.

I have a memory that this thing, made by Feeny and Johnson, is something to do with trailer brakes on a Landrover? Could also be to do with driver controls though, as that's their main product.

IMG_3233600.jpg

I'm not sure if you guys are finding these bits boring or baffling, but here's another fairly insignificant part that intrigues me. The Bakelite tube is brown rather than black as it looks in the photo, and it has contacts inside to take something along the lines of a jack plug:

IMG_3553-600.jpg

I'm not sure if you guys are finding these bits boring or baffling, but here's another fairly insignificant part that intrigues me. The Bakelite tube is brown rather than black as it looks in the photo, and it has contacts inside to take something along the lines of a jack plug:

IMG_3553-600.jpg

10H/2206 - Type 359 radio lead socket from pilot's helmet jack plug.

Not that I am expert or anything...

http://www.aerovintagespares.com/avspares/10H_2206_-_Type_359_Radio_lead_socket_from_pilot_s_helmet_jack_plug.html

trevor

Edited by GeePig
typo

Brilliant, thanks Trevor. I couldn't find that Googling it at all. I'm even more intrigued by it now! It appears to go with a VHF radio box type 932 and be WW2 era. I guess the two little metal tags might be to hitch it to something.

I can't visualise this bit on a Scammell, even though the label says pretty much what it does:

IMG_2842vs.jpg

Found my Explorer parts list. It's what I thought it was, the bit that stops the NATO hitch swivelling on an Explorer draw bar (and I guess other Scammells)

Edited by Sean N

Well, that was interesting, I saw some WW2 references for pre-1947 flying helmets, and found that several forums have the wiring described. However, they were the not so interesting parts, as apparently it is important in the case of a 'mishap' while flying that the helmet disconnects itself from radio wiring easily without doing damage to the pilot. Hence the fancy cable and support weaving, to give a bit of damping to the cable if the helmet was yanked away from this socket by a sudden change in aircraft circumstances.

trevor

I'm only going by memory of the size, but could it be MT/TT/FG2351/101 Scammell Explorer engine oil filter?

I don't know, Bernard, but I suspect not. The Tecalemit bit of the part number is different, being FG2371-201 rather than FG2351-101, and X3 is for plant and misc. IC engines rather than vehicles. I wonder whether that might be close though - given the size it's obviously from something fairly large. If it's a similar style to Explorer I wonder if it might be for the Meadows engine in the trailer mounted 27kVA generator? Just a guess though.

However, they were the not so interesting parts, as apparently it is important in the case of a 'mishap' while flying that the helmet disconnects itself from radio wiring easily without doing damage to the pilot. Hence the fancy cable and support weaving, to give a bit of damping to the cable if the helmet was yanked away from this socket by a sudden change in aircraft circumstances.

I didn't find that reference. Obvious really, but I hadn't connected that with the braiding on the cables.

I found this in a box of junk today. Obviously so old that they hadn't invented glass fuses yet!

IMG_3576-600.jpg

Anyone any good on Turner winches? I've got an engine driven one dated 1959 that I thought originally was Landrover, but the mounting feet are too low for the normal Landy one (unless Series 1 is different) and it hasn't got any fairlead rollers:

IMG_3557-600.jpg

Not an expert but might be like the ones fitted to Austin Gipsy's. I know some had Turner winches fitted.

Might be interested if you were willing to part with it for my Gipsy :)

Not an expert but might be like the ones fitted to Austin Gipsy's. I know some had Turner winches fitted.

Might be interested if you were willing to part with it for my Gipsy :)

No idea Martin, and I can't find any meaningful photos of them fitted to Gipsys. I'll bear you in mind though.

This might help in the future.

Ahh. So I'm contemplating adding the cheese to my kit.

Well at least if all your fuses blow you won't starve while waiting for recovery.

No idea Martin, and I can't find any meaningful photos of them fitted to Gipsys. I'll bear you in mind though.

Hi Sean

Just been in contact with the owner of Gipsy Spares in Holland, dropped him the picture you put up here and he says that it is the type they fitted to Gipsy's.

So if you felt like selling it I would be interested :)

Martyn

I have a number of Ford parts marked 2E-(part number). I can't identify 2E as a Ford model, but it's probably 4x4 as one part is an auxiliary gearbox lever gaiter. My guess from the era is that they might be for Commer cab Ford, but can anyone confirm?

I have a number of Ford parts marked 2E-(part number). I can't identify 2E as a Ford model, but it's probably 4x4 as one part is an auxiliary gearbox lever gaiter. My guess from the era is that they might be for Commer cab Ford, but can anyone confirm?

Hi Sean,

It is the "Commer cab" Ford.