What's Sean got now?

Sean N

Question

I'm having a big clearout, and keep coming across mystery parts. Often I've either forgotten what they are or didn't know in the first place.

I thought it might be interesting to post some of them up here as an on-going quiz and see if anyone can identify them, rather along the lines of Clive's Mystery Objects (though probably much less mysterious) - the difference being that I won't be able to tell you if you're right or not!

Most are vehicle parts, so it'll probably be obvious what they are generally - a light, a speedometer, whatever - but perhaps not the details or what they're from. Given the sources they're probably mostly British, as well - I don't think that's giving too much away!

OK, first item, maybe obvious but I don't know what it's from and I find it interesting:

IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

• Answers 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

To be honest, Richard, they aren't even marked Lockheed, they're just LV6/MT9 AU/LK/Jxxxx. I should really have said AP. I think the MoS apply AU/LK to any AP group company so it could well be Thompson.

Having said that, I'd expected it to be easier to track down the part numbers than it is. Normally I can find these things in one of my books or they'll pop up on some site or other if you plug them into a search engine, but I've got a whole bunch of stuff here that I can't pin down.

The water pump unfortunately has lost all its labels, so the only identifier is its appearance and the markings on it.

The MT9 Vocab is one I have not got, any other one and I could have helped. Sometimes they list the vehicles the part is for.

VAOS Sections LV6/MT1 - LV6/MT15 use the identifiers

AU/LK Automotive Products Co. Ltd.

TH British Thompson-Houston Ltd.

Incidentally all the Lockhead part numbers for ball joints on Humber 1 Ton are prefixed by 'J'

Edited by fv1609
LV6/MT1

VAOS Sections LV6/MT1 - LV6/MT15 use the identifiers

AU/LK Automotive Products Co. Ltd.

TH British Thompson-Houston Ltd.

Incidentally all the Lockhead part numbers for ball joints on Humber 1 Ton are prefixed by 'J'

Hi Clive,

Wrong Thompson, the one you have there is BTH, known for magnetos, etc. The one I refer to is part of the Automotive Products group, Lockheed being one. The Commer book lists that LK prefix, but gives them as Thompson items. need one of their trade catalogues really.

Clive confirms my memory on AU/LK, and in fact I looked it up afterwards in his excellent reference in 'Clive's Corner'.

Incidentally Clive, I've spotted one I haven't seen in your reference articles, LV7/BLC for BLMC / Austin / Morris items.

I think a J prefix may well apply to a lot of AP rod ends, but it's interesting that the ones you both comment on are Rootes Group.

I may have to start opening boxes and removing Cosmoline!

Incidentally Clive, I've spotted one I haven't seen in your reference articles, LV7/BLC for BLMC / Austin / Morris items.!

Sean I think that you will find

LV7/AN is Austin

LV7/ML is BMC, Morris & Wolsley

Bear in mind that is only for VAOS Section LV7 but in the broader coverage LV6/MT1 - LV6/MT15

BMC is British Motor Corporation

I'm not familiar with LV7/BLC, there is LV7/LD for Leyland. But things can change & morph into each other. I have been taken to task for getting some of the types of tanks 'wrong' in the LV1 Sections but it depends on the time period. There were specific tanks quoted in VAOS with a particular part code that were used on later tanks which fulfilled the same role as the earlier obsolete tanks.

Do you have a label with LV7/BLC with a particular date?

Bear in mind that BLC did exist but for use in LV9/BLC for standardised Light Car 4x4 ie Champ

It might be a labelling error, it's on some '60s A series engine parts the rest of which are labelled 7/BMC e.g. bearing shells. I have 9/BLC on a Champ steering rack gaiter (2F-6024 or FV14581).

7/AN and 7/ML I have, 7/ML also on Morris Commercial. I think I have seen 7/BMC on some BMC supplied parts for pre-BMC Austin vehicles e.g. K9. If I find anything I'll let you know out of interest. I assume parts for BMC built Austins e.g. Mini would be labelled 7/BMC rather than 7/AN, so they wouldn't distinguish between different badge engineered vehicles?

Thanks for finding a reference for those rod ends. I can identify from my Bedford catalogues now, hopefully. I have a feeling the other ones are Bedford or Austin as well, but the relevant parts catalogues I have only give the makers' part number, not the suppliers'.

To continue the 7/ML or 7/BMC theme here's a Morris part I haven't pinned down! It's given as LV7/BMC 1G-4507

IMG_1657.jpg

Possibly a steering trunnion?

Edited by Sean N

Its quite logical Sean that LV7/BMC should exist & you have the evidence. I'm only going from publications that I have, I'll try & see when this particular one I have was published. I think it is more of a Chilwell publication than a VAOS.

Incidentally, Clive, I wouldn't dream of taking you to task on anything! Just feel extra information is always useful.

Sean no that wasn't meant to be you I was referring to in anyway. This was an expert in a particular type of AFV who was unaware that the same Vocab Section was also used for later vehicles that fulfilled the same role & occupied the same VAOS Section. My mistake was not to have qualified it with the date I suppose.

This is always a learning journey for instance I had wrongly been assuming my track rod ends were Lockheed rather than Thompson, yet the proof was on my own book shelves :D

While we're on part numbers, I have just unearthed the following, if anyone has the time and patience. Please don't go out of your way:

Rootes 7/RU 246346 Piston, Standard (packed in fours, so for a four cylinder engine)

Austin 7/AN 1D.1515 Liner, Cylinder

BMC 7/BMC 1D.1536 Taper Compression Ring (packed in 6s, so a six cylinder engine)

BMC 7/BMC 162038 Tappets

Ford 7/FD 18-6150-C Ring, Piston, +0.015"

Gardner 7/GA 1/97/11/43A Sprayer (i.e. injector - these look like LW injectors to me)

Leyland 227564D.MM2 injector (packed in 6s, no VAOS prefix, the number is from the injectors themselves)

LV10 FV143103 Dipstick

7/RR RE3043 Valve, Exhaust

7/RR EB 5853 Valve, Inlet - I think these are for post-war 4.25 and 4.5 straight six engines, i.e. Mk VI, R-type, S1, early Silver Cloud but I don't see the military connection.

LV6/MT9 CDR/APSA 965T Distributor A.P. (presumably air pressure) servo, Clayton Dewandre. This may well be Bedford and possibly even RL!!

Hi Sean,

This first item is Land Rover (RU), not Rootes (RT)

Of course it is, what a twit. Too many parts in my head, not paying attention. I know it as well, so no excuse; they're pistons for the 2 litre series 1 engine.

Sean,

Just wondering if the BMC numbers relate to the BMC Diesel engine fitted in the Austin Series 3 multifuel that descended from the K9 ?

They could be, I wondered that but I don't have a parts catalogue for those engines.

I have an observation hatch / cupola cover here which I bought ages ago. It's LV6/MT13 2510-99-825-0436 Cover, I assume it's designed to replace the old canvas covers as it fits well, and it's made of some composite plastic material.

The NSN websites also list it as FV754028 Cover, Observation Hatch.

Anyone know if this was just a general use thing or for some particular vehicle? I haven't seen them fitted to anything and I haven't seen any others for sale, but that's probably more me not paying attention than a reflection of its rarity!

Thanks Clive. I wasn't sure whether these generic classifications covered items that were specific to a vehicle type or class of vehicles but weren't from the vehicle manufacturer, if you see what I mean.

John's found a similar cover though of a slightly different design. Be interesting to know what they were used on, or if they were a replacement for the old canvas covers.

Valves, lots of valves!

I've managed to pin down a lot of these but I've got some Thornycroft ones, 112576 and 112577, that I can't track down the fitment for. They're about 190 mm (7.5") long and 51 mm (2") diameter. Any Thorny experts out there?

RE3043 mentioned in an earlier post is also for the early post-war 4 litre and 4.5 litre RR engines, as are EB 5853. I haven't identified the military use yet, but RE3043 are also marked FV141449 on the valve face if that helps.

I've got some small inlet valves, 90 mm long, marked T-T 4071.

Thanks.

Edited by Sean N
add stuff