What's Sean got now?

Sean N

Question

I'm having a big clearout, and keep coming across mystery parts. Often I've either forgotten what they are or didn't know in the first place.

I thought it might be interesting to post some of them up here as an on-going quiz and see if anyone can identify them, rather along the lines of Clive's Mystery Objects (though probably much less mysterious) - the difference being that I won't be able to tell you if you're right or not!

Most are vehicle parts, so it'll probably be obvious what they are generally - a light, a speedometer, whatever - but perhaps not the details or what they're from. Given the sources they're probably mostly British, as well - I don't think that's giving too much away!

OK, first item, maybe obvious but I don't know what it's from and I find it interesting:

IMG_3425.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

• Answers 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Can anyone identify 7RT 2520-99-837-3312 for me?

It's a tracta joint housing, probably WW2 or '50s, but I'm not sure for which Commer / Karrier / Humber.

Hi Sean,

I would think as this Rootes part has had a NSN allocated to it, then it is not for the Humber armoured or scout cars, but for the Commer Q4. If you mean it is for the spherical housing with flange (challis), then Rootes part number for Q4 was W41570 Housing, Drive. Sometimes the label inside the packaging has the older number.

Richard

Richard, there's no number apart from the NSN. It's not boxed and I don't want to undo all the waxed cloth that's around it. My guess was Q4 as well, just by putting 2 and 2 together as you have. I suppose there's a slim possibility of it being Karrier or one of the Commer 1 ton or 4 ton prototypes, but it's very unlikely, and I can't think of anything else it could be.

Does your parts list show whether these are handed - it sounds as though you only have one part listed for both sides?

Richard, there's no number apart from the NSN. It's not boxed and I don't want to undo all the waxed cloth that's around it. My guess was Q4 as well, just by putting 2 and 2 together as you have. I suppose there's a slim possibility of it being Karrier or one of the Commer 1 ton or 4 ton prototypes, but it's very unlikely, and I can't think of anything else it could be.

Does your parts list show whether these are handed - it sounds as though you only have one part listed for both sides?

Hi Sean,

If that is the "challis" then they are same both sides on a Q4.

Hi Richard, X3 I have as misc. industrial IC engines or just misc IC engines for some C vehicles and plant. I don't have any of the rest of the number. I can get dimensions though.

Bryan, it's for pinning something down rather than an earth spike - there's no electrical connection. If they're from the K9, which I can't quite remember, there are quite a few of them.

Hi Sean,

Looks like a filter element, X3 could be plant or forklifts, etc. It is a Tecalemit part number. I have hunch on this one if you can confirm the sizes, try this;

Length 5.37 inches

OD 2.87 inches

ID 1.312 inches

cheers Richard

Richard, it's considerably bigger - difficult to measure in the packaging, but about 8.25" x 4" x 1.75"

Can anyone pin down some Lockheed items for me? Socket (tie rod end) J8020, J8021, J5228, J5229; brake cylinder 35707?

Hi Sean,

The wheel cyl, 35707 is listed as Austin 1 ton 4x4 (civilian), K9 obviously and is one of the front cylinders used on LH or RH in upper or lower position, ie LHF upper and RHF lower.

I'm really struggling to find a reference for those Lockheed part numbers which surprises me.

How about a water pump? I'm sure I should know what this is but I can't place it. The number on it is 37711630, but of course that may just be a pattern or casting number, or part number for the body only.

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

Can anyone pin down some Lockheed items for me? Socket (tie rod end) J8020, J8021, J5228, J5229; brake cylinder 35707?

Hi Sean,

These tie rod ends, It might say Lockheed on the packet, but I think they were made by Thompson, another company in the AP Group. Sadly I do not have a catalogue of these. To confirm, I checked the Commer Q4 parts list and although these ends are not for this vehicle, they did use Thompson ball joints and numbers were prefixed with J.

No idea on the water pump, sorry.

cheers Richard

To be honest, Richard, they aren't even marked Lockheed, they're just LV6/MT9 AU/LK/Jxxxx. I should really have said AP. I think the MoS apply AU/LK to any AP group company so it could well be Thompson.

Having said that, I'd expected it to be easier to track down the part numbers than it is. Normally I can find these things in one of my books or they'll pop up on some site or other if you plug them into a search engine, but I've got a whole bunch of stuff here that I can't pin down.

The water pump unfortunately has lost all its labels, so the only identifier is its appearance and the markings on it.