Stalwart Centralised Lubrication System

Would anyone have a copy of Special Servicing Instruction No. 23 for the Stolly? It contains information about the centralised lubrication system on Mk.2 vehicles that isn't in the User Manual for some reason.

Andy

I think only the Limbers and REME stalwarts had the central lube and information on the central lube is found on attachments to the various drivers/service books for those models.

What do you want to know?........it is a simple set up.

Edited by 101 Ron

Thanks Richard as always.

Were the early MK 2 Stalwarts up graded to central lube, the driver servicing books indicate the early mark 2 Stalwarts were not fitted only ones with the crane.

I find it interesting MK1 Stalwarts appear to have some MK2 features like removable front body corners to fit inside aircraft and later model swim boards..........I am guessing some sort of up date/ rebuild program ?

Ron

Brilliant - thanks Richard. It's a little odd that all the Mk.2s seem to have this but it didn't make its way into the handbook. It was also unclear whether the single mark on the dipstick is Min, Max or what, so thanks for explaining.

Andy

Edited by andym

My Stalwart has Two marks on the dip stick.

If the round cross member tank has more than half full of oil it must be feeding oil to the hubs.

I doubled checked OX320 has a common name of oil dag and is still advailable , but at a cost.

It is a graphite compound to help with lube of the tracta joint forks.

I found on my stalwart with oil dag just added only to the round cross member tank, the black oil dag found its way though to all the hubs after a few runs.

Even though there is only one hose going to each hub in the system must breath all the time though the hoses with temperature changes etc.

My Stalwart has Two marks on the dip stick.

If the round cross member tank has more than half full of oil it must be feeding oil to the hubs.

I doubled checked OX320 has a common name of oil dag and is still advailable , but at a cost.

It is a graphite compound to help with lube of the tracta joint forks.

I found on my stalwart with oil dag just added only to the round cross member tank, the black oil dag found its way though to all the hubs after a few runs.

Even though there is only one hose going to each hub in the system must breath all the time though the hoses with temperature changes etc.

Hi Ron,

The OX320 compound was Acheson's Colloidal Graphite, I think DAG was another name for it. I worked in army workshops and recall, probably in late Eighties, that an Instruction was circulated, stating that the authority that tested vehicles, at the time probably Vehicles Branch at RARDE, and Alvis had come to the conclusion that this additive made no difference. I know we put it in all Alvis FV600 series vehicles, but still tracta joints would pick up. For peace of mind it might be best to continue using it though.

regards, Richard

The Australian army did do tests with a product called Molybond which is similar to the Oil Dag as is advailable as a grease, spray on , and oil.

They were looking for increased life from the drive trains of the Saracen.

Live of the hubs(tracta joints not mentioned) was more than doubled.

In the mid 1980s when I was in RAEME the Australian army extensively used Molybond in engine assembly and extreme service drive trains...........I asked why and got the Saracen story repeated to me by many different people.

http://www.itwpf.com.au/molybond_lubricants/

http://www.itwpf.com.au/molybond_lubricants/product.aspx?productid=69

Edited by 101 Ron