Jeep Stolen

horrocks

Unfortunately with the rising price of WW2 kit and jeeps in particular this could happen to any of us, imagine losing your own pride and joy it would be heart breaking. This was stolen from the mans property whether it was a field or a garage doesn't matter someone has gone on private property and taken what doesn't belong to them..

Indeed, and Jeeps are incredibly vulnerable to this kind of thing. Unless your Jeep is in a locked garage or sitting in your kitchen, there is very little to stop someone sufficiently determined from just winching it onto a trailer and disappearing. The British Army in its post-war rebuilds put a makeshift steering lock onto jeeps, and I have also seen eyes put onto the dashboard that allow the gearbox to be padlocked into reverse. Both aren't perfect, but they would at the very least slow potential thieves up.

Thanks again for the words of support.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried neighbours along any access road and who may have had CCTV ? Obviously it helps if you know what day and time it was taken but a lot of people have security cameras these days.

..... for those untouched by car crime I was reading some interesting posts elsewhere the other day about GPS trackers , if I owned something as vulnerable as a Jeep I think I'd be considering one of these , magnetic so unlikely to damage your vehicle and apparently with up to 30 day battery life.

By chance is there anywhere with CCTV along any likely route through Essex that may just have captured it and the thieves? Were there any distinguishing features that might be used to identify all or part of the Jeep if it is used to complete the restoration of another?

Edited by LarryH57

By chance is there anywhere with CCTV along any likely route through Essex that may just have captured it and the thieves? Were there any distinguishing features that might be used to identify all or part of the Jeep if it is used to complete the restoration of another?

Have done the CCTV thing, but none we can find locally pointing in the right directions. The Jeep has several unique features, but for obvious reasons I can't advertise them on an open forum. However, if anybody is offered a Jeep or parts that seem suspicious or unusual, I am only a phone call away.

Many of us ,especially with larger vehicles have no option other than to park them in farms,old buildings etc - lets not criticise this poor family at their time of loss over where or why it was parked - likewise whever or not they could have done more to secure it - hindsight is a wonderful thing - but as we all know,and this sad tale proves - if someone wants something or wants access bad enough.....theres not a lot you can do to stop it ! (i myself know of a few years ago - some grab handles were unbolted from the rear of an F60 whilst the owner slept in the back at a show,and the rear of the vehicle where the theft took place was surrounded by occupied tents who were part of the same group!)

Lets pull together.....stop critisizing and analizing this theft and the circumstances around it and all make sure we are extra vigilant in the search for this jeep and in fact our own vehicles and kit.....

Best of luck to the family,i hope they are re-united with their jeep very soon......

Many of us ,especially with larger vehicles have no option other than to park them in farms,old buildings etc - lets not criticise this poor family at their time of loss over where or why it was parked - likewise whever or not they could have done more to secure it - hindsight is a wonderful thing - but as we all know,and this sad tale proves - if someone wants something or wants access bad enough.....theres not a lot you can do to stop it ! (i myself know of a few years ago - some grab handles were unbolted from the rear of an F60 whilst the owner slept in the back at a show,and the rear of the vehicle where the theft took place was surrounded by occupied tents who were part of the same group!)

Lets pull together.....stop critisizing and analizing this theft and the circumstances around it and all make sure we are extra vigilant in the search for this jeep and in fact our own vehicles and kit.....

Best of luck to the family,i hope they are re-united with their jeep very soon......

Well said, as they say hindsight is a wonderful thing. This jeep was stolen from its rightful owner and my sympathies lie with him. I hope he gets it back and the thieves get punished big time. If people can break into banks they can steal a jeep wherever it's kept, I've heard of large capacity motorcycles being lifted over two cars in a garage to be stolen, these people don't care what damage they do to steal something.

Well said,

we are all open to this sort of problem at any time. Lets all be vigilant and hope to hear or see something that may help these unfortunate people get their vehicle returned.

Pete

Here here. And it could happen to anyone of us. I would not wish this on anyone who spend a lot of time and money in keeping these historic vehicles on the road, and some with very understanding wives/partners, who may/may not accept second place for the love of these green machines.

..... for those untouched by car crime I was reading some interesting posts elsewhere the other day about GPS trackers , if I owned something as vulnerable as a Jeep I think I'd be considering one of these , magnetic so unlikely to damage your vehicle and apparently with up to 30 day battery life.

AFAIK there are 2 systems.

1 GPS theft system tied into the electronics/battery, will also give alarm to the security company when the batteryleads are removed. May lead to false alarms when working on the Jeep, let the company know before remving battery.

2 Selfcontained unit with its own batterypower.

These are used when things are transported, something like a container on truck on ship.

Offcourse not very usefull when parked somewhere for a while unless you want to replace every 30 days or so.

Could be useful when taking vehicle to a show, travel or such.

Posted about it on Twitter, just in case.

Direct link:

Hope this helps, and hope you get the Jeep back to it's rightful owners toot sweet.

Yes be very vigilant! I was followed home whilst in my jeep by a guy in a Nissan juke but I shook him off before I got home, 10 minutes later x2 police cars pulled outside my house!!

seems the guy in the Nissan reported me for having a thompson in the gun rack :(

thompson on has now been sold :(

good ode luck with finding the jeep!!

dave

I would just like to say how very grateful both the White family and myself are for the terrific support we have received from the members of this forum. There have been around 2,250 views of this thread since I started it on Saturday, which is quite amazing, and the comments have been overwhelmingly supportive.

We have now been interviewed by our local paper, The Brentwood & Ongar Gazette, who propose to run the story because of the 'human/local interest' element, with the Jeep having been owned by the family since the war, and the direct connection to the local wartime USAAF base at RAF Chipping Ongar. Nick Jeffrey of Jeffrey Engineering, who has spent many hours working on the Jeep over the past 8 or 10 years, is also putting word out on the W&P dealer/trader grapevine, for he is intimately familiar with the Jeep's quite specific idiosyncrasies that make it uniquely identifiable. Others are spreading the word amongst French and Dutch MV dealers and enthusiasts. I can also now confirm that a £1000 reward for information leading to its recovery has been put up by the family.

If something doesn't bubble to the surface out of all of this, at least we will know that we have done our best.

Thanks again to all.

Thanks all, though I should point out that the Twitter/War History Online article is about a Hotchie that was stolen last July, not this MB.

Do we know if the owner recovered his Jeep?

No its not been recovered, thieves went to hard work, cutting down fence, hedges, bridging a ditch, removing gates etc to get Jeep out

Edited by Nick Johns

Many thanks Shadow Wolf. All helps.

The story has made the front page splash of the Brentwood Ongar Gazette today, photo of the Jeep is the first thing that anyone who looks at the paper sees. Unfortunately nothing online yet, though it is online in the Epping Guardian..

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/11300080._Much_loved_piece_of_family_history__stolen/

Here's hoping...