Jeep Stolen

horrocks

This morning (we think) from a closed, private field in Bobbingworth, Essex.

It is an MB of historical interest, as it came from 387th BG at RAF Chipping Ongar, and has belonged to the same family ever since. Needless to say, this is pretty shattering for the family.

The thieves removed a gate from its hinges and hauled it out. It doesn't run, so would have been towed or trailered.

If anyone saw a Jeep this morning, perhaps yesterday evening, in the Ongar/Harlow/Chelmsford/A414 area, please could you PM me so that we can inform the police.

Better still, my phone 07762 529410

Edited by horrocks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Afraid it was, but an extremely private field beside my house, with no easy access, and absolutely invisible from the road - the thieves must have carried out a thorough reconnaissance. The gate from the field onto the road was pedestrian/horse width, so they removed a section of fence. They then must have pushed the jeep across the field to the access, and loaded it onto a trailer. It was thoroughly planned, and must have involved at least three or four strong men, and some local knowledge.

I too hope the b**tards are caught and punished and you get your jeep back safe and sound. I have myself been the victim of theft although not on your scale but I do sincerely understand the pain you are going through, good luck :-(

personal question i know but was it insured ? before i comment.Are you you sure it was on a trailer how about single rear wheeled truck could an electric winch done the job of three or four men when you suggest scenarios it makes insurance companies very wary

Edited by cosrec

Yes, insured. Not sure of anything, only assuming. Too far and too awkward for a winch, and unlikely that another vehicle could have fitted through the gap they made. The only wheel pressure marks were where a vehicle had been pulled up on the verge, none visible in the field. It was virtually spirited away.

Police, incidentally, were uninterested. Apparently all they really contributed was the information that should the vehicle be recovered there would be a charge of £150 before it could be collected. They didn't visit the 'scene of the crime'.

The family is understandably very upset. They have had a bad run, and this has rather capped it.

Yes, insured. Not sure of anything, only assuming. Too far and too awkward for a winch, and unlikely that another vehicle could have fitted through the gap they made. The only wheel pressure marks were where a vehicle had been pulled up on the verge, none visible in the field. It was virtually spirited away.

Police, incidentally, were uninterested. Apparently all they really contributed was the information that should the vehicle be recovered there would be a charge of £150 before it could be collected. They didn't visit the 'scene of the crime'.

The family is understandably very upset. They have had a bad run, and this has rather capped it.

Bare with me on this one but did the the vehicle disappear down the same route it arrived ? or did someone one go to great efforts to take it from a different route

so why would one great effort to steal across a field when you could go the way it was taken in

Because that route would have taken it past my open bedroom window and around two sides of my house, down a private gravel chase on a farm. Even without my dogs going berserk, it would have woken me.

we are all sorry to hear this has happened , but we are probably wondering why in this day and age leave a jeep in a field unattended

In fairness, I could barely have been expected to sleep beside it....

OK, not ideal, but I have explained it all clearly. The field is private, closed in by high hedges on a quiet, very rural back lane in a small, close community, without obvious direct access to, or view from, the road, though in retrospect, we (or I) clearly chimped it...

I started this thread in the hope that should should anyone in this fairly small MV community pick up any hint or whisper, be offered anything or maybe have even have seen something that could get the Jeep back, then it would have been worthwhile. Thats all. I can understand some measure of scepticism. However, it was almost certainly underinsured, and we are not now altogether sure that it was still insured at all, which makes a bad situation worse.

However, this is about a vehicle which has a deep sentimental value to its owners, and they would very much like it back.

Sorry to hear about your Jeep being stolen.

Doesn't matter if its in a field, barn or museum..

It is STOLEN and a great loss to you.

I hope it will be retrieved in the same state it was when stolen.

Lets hope the thiefs get caught.

I hope you get it back soon without the gits damaging it, have you approached the local scappies to let them know? I think people on here are miss-understanding the way I read it it was in a private field attached to your property and I know plenty of MVs that live in similar conditions on farms under lean tos or in open sheds.

Not nice to realize someone in your local community could do this to you.

Good luck

Steve

Many thanks for the words of support.

We have done everything we can. Police, local papers, facebook, here and the G503, and now an ad in the Jeep section on Milweb. Not optimistic, but fingers crossed. Something might bubble to the surface.

Finally, should anyone who is reading any of this who might know anything about the theft, please could we implore to your better nature. This might look like any other Jeep, but it is one with enormous sentimental value to its owners, and they would really like it back.

Boris White 07587 099353 or Toby Webster 07762 529410.

I suspect a reward for info that leads to its recovery is in the offing.

We are a fairly close knit community, someone somewhere will surely hear or suspect something if so guys do the right thing and get this jeep back to its rightful owner. Unfortunately with the rising price of WW2 kit and jeeps in particular this could happen to any of us, imagine losing your own pride and joy it would be heart breaking. This was stolen from the mans property whether it was a field or a garage doesn't matter someone has gone on private property and taken what doesn't belong to them, lets help get it back if at all possible. Here's hoping for a happy ending :)