combat dealers on now chan 167 quest channel

griff66

Cor blimey, son, that's just genyoowine Waffen SS tripe, an' reely reely rare, innit. Oi'll give ya twenty Yooros fer that an' thats a reely good offer, innit.

[extract from 2016 script; also 2014 and 2015 scripts]

Where on earth did you get the scrip from??

Although by the look of it it's the same one from every proceeding show !

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually enjoy watching the show - but the OH has mr Bruce classified as - and I quote - "a greedy little bar steward" for his antics. :):)

Great fun watching him at shows - just to see if any familiar faces appear!!

But as Jack says - it advertises the hobby generally to a wider audience which has to be a good thing.

If you have it, check out the Velocity channel. There are some pretty good car restoration programs on there.

well it's nice to see all the other fans lining up behind me :-D

yeah no kidding , if you think Brit TV is lacking, you should see the garbage they feed us over here. 15 minutes of "The Bachelorette" season 19 and you'll be begging for Combat dealers :kiss:

:wow:I wouldn't class Combat Dealers as a car restoration programme.

I'm in the US and have never seen this show. But the guy I quoted on general bad programing in the US. I was making a comment on where he could find a decent program that might be of interest, to him.

Heck, I even watch "Wheeler Dealer" on there..... :cool2:

I was a car guy for a very long time, Chargers and Challengers from the early 70's. Got bored of it and also tired of how finicky it can be , all those little parts and pieces, a lot of it plastic, everything having to be cosmetically perfect, etc.

The thing that appeals to me about militaria is that old, rusty, and original is often times how you want it. A coat of flat paint over some (more or less) straight sheet-metal is ok too. 2 weeks of buffing and cutting not required :-)

A great place to see the first 2 seasons of Com-dealers is daily motion.

A great place to see the first 2 seasons of Com-dealers is daily motion.

Indeed: http://www.dailymotion.com/nl/relevance/search/combat+dealers/1

I greatly enjoy this show because I take it for what it is; light-hearted entertainment and not an in-depth documentary, although it does give a reasonable accurate picture of the MV/militaria scene to outsiders. Most of us will have seen one or more vehicles restored by Bruce Crompton's team, and I doubt anyone will dispute the quality of the work. ;)

Indeed: http://www.dailymotion.com/nl/relevance/search/combat+dealers/1

I greatly enjoy this show because I take it for what it is; light-hearted entertainment and not an in-depth documentary, although it does give a reasonable accurate picture of the MV/militaria scene to outsiders. Most of us will have seen one or more vehicles restored by Bruce Crompton's team, and I doubt anyone will dispute the quality of the work. ;)

Thanks for the link.....

I'll check them out........:thumbsup:

I say if you don't like it then no one has to watch it. However, if it keeps brings our hobby and history to a new audience then happy days.

I'm not a big fan of the show, but in doing that it's better than what shows like Garage Monkey do for classic cars.

• 4 months later...
Season two hasnt even hit australia yet. At least, I havnt been approached for autographs yet. haha

I want your autograph, just come and visit me on the other side of the globe. :-D

Offcourse you can say you have met THE Enigma, helmet king :saluting:........you're welcome. :coffee:

I want your autograph, just come and visit me on the other side of the globe. :-D

Offcourse you can say you have met THE Enigma, helmet king :saluting:........you're welcome. :coffee:

Don't shake his hand or he'll never wash it again! :-X

Season 3 of Combat Dealers will start coming Tuesday (January 10) on Quest. :-D
well thank goodness, it was getting to the point where is was afraid to even ask :-(

strange though that amazon prime is already showing as available 3 episodes from S3 .

Dailymotion is a good one, I like it better than you-tube after google bought them , but all the season 2 episodes appear to have been pulled. They were all available within 24 hours of original broadcast

BTW, if anyone here has access to Mr. Compton or his crew, maybe suggest a DVD release of S1 and 2? The axis dealers web-site already has a "for sale" section, why not make a few quid off the vidies

wow, 16!

how many this year, 10 or 12? Looks like they're going to do some goofy stuff on Dad's army which is ok but hopefully there's more techie hands on material too.

the bad part is this has to be pulling them out of the shop too.

Reminds me of my favorite author who can't get new books out because he's doing book-signings all year

I watched Combat Dealers on Tuesday 10th Jan 2017, and there was a bit on the PIAT and in some archive film it showed two British soldiers on a range firing at an early 'Ausf C or D' type short barrelled Stug. I wonder if that was the one that has now been restored and on show in Yorks and Kent last summer?

I'm glad to see the show hasn't dropped its standards. The PIAT piece was most instructive, in Blighty there is a PIAT which is missing a few parts but thankfully in le Belle France there is a Bren mag' box which is stuffed with all those missing parts! Like the three bears' porridge, the parts are just right not to many of one component and nor to few of another. I think it is time a better scrip writer was found.

On the long term ward where I work the patients as well as reading the HMVF website also watch Combat Dealers, with the latter this has caused a split in the ward. There are those that maintain that the programme is a documentary whilst others believe it is more a mockumentary, with actors pretending to be taking part in an in-depth program about the restoration of military vehicles. To me it is the latter group which holds the greatest sway. The program does have some rather weak writing and the skill with which the characters have been been drawn is less 000 paint brush and more yard brush. The actor that plays 'Bruce Crompton' is the only one with any real talent, although his scrip is rather repetitive with such clichés 'The only Hetzer in Australia !' 'Gor blimey I can make some money out of this!' If his dialogue is weak he throws in a few adlib gurns. One of the patients swears blind that he saw this actor in pantomime playing Mr Toad in the 'Wind in the Willows' for which he frequently wears his former pantomime costume in the show, Parp, Parp, Parp!

As well as the main character there are satellites to orbit around him. Because the subject is new to most TV viewers the character 'Hus' was created also know as the 'Mad Turk'. It is his job to play the man in the street that knows nothing about military vehicles this the script writers have done well creating a gormless character that likes nothing better in using weapons and explosives.

Two characters that act in supporting roles are the twins. It is their job to restore the vehicles. To date they have tightened up a battery earth lead on a Hetzer, put back two wheels back on a bicycle that had them recently removed, Put a spring on the throttle of a kublewagon which also had been recently removed. The two actors play their role in the pantomime style of Tweedledum and Tweedledee with bickering amongst themselves and with the main character 'Bruce'.

One of the lesser characters is the armourer Freddy whose lines are rather short, the dialogue going something like this;

Bruce character, " What's this Freddy?"

Freddy character " A gun Bruce"

Bruce character " Fair enough me old cock sparrow!"

I think this sums up the program and it at least it keeps the patients calm for a while.... Although some are now looking forward to restoring a vehicle....................

Edited by Whittingham warrior

But as Jack says - it advertises the hobby generally to a wider audience which has to be a good thing.

The main problem with that is: the wider audience think we are all as mad as 'fruitcakes' and we behave like the characters portrayed in Combat Dealers .

The main problem with that is: the wider audience think we are all as mad as 'fruitcakes' and we behave like the characters portrayed in Combat Dealers .

I think the problem with that is that most of us, myself included, would make quite boring TV. And while ofcourse things are inflated (and quite over the top sometimes) for the show's sake it tends to be the more 'colourful' types that have vehicles that go beyond the sensibility of the standard list with jeeps, Landies, Dodges, GMC's etc. :-D

The Days of TV actually being factual and true are long gone I'm afraid even aunty Beeb puts out crap with 10 minute recaps on the plot.. I mean FFS I'm not a Goldfish.

But I can watch Combat dealers well once any way.

One of the lesser characters is the armourer Freddy whose lines are rather short, the dialogue going something like this;

Bruce character, " What's this Freddy?"

Freddy character " A gun Bruce"

Bruce character " Fair enough me old cock sparrow!"

OMG, read this 10 minutes ago and still laughing. Maybe there, this is all a terrible cliche, but for other English speaking parts of the world it's better than taking a picture next to a palace guard with a bear skin hat. I mean this cockney slang, or whatever it is, people just eat it up

I think this sums up the program and it at least it keeps the patients calm for a while.... Although some are now looking forward to restoring a vehicle....................
well that's a win then:-)

here "fruitcakes" would would be an improvement. gun-nuts, wing-nuts, and preppers are not seen in a very good light. Scary and dangerous more like.

What I actually really like about the show is that it portrays military collectors as people passionate about preserving history and the things that shaped our world, A little eccentricity is an important part of the formula, makes them more likeable and less threatening IMO.

I can't help but see the show as helpful to the hobby , just my 2 cents