Problems with Alvis Stalwart

Hello, my name is Adam.

I'm from Poland. Thank you for adding me to the forum HMVF. My father in law has Alvis Stalwart Mk2.

He has a problem with the damaged cuff. He wants to find out how replace it.

In Poland, we do not know anyone who could do it. Hence my post on the forum. We will be grateful for your help.

I enclose photos of the damaged cuff.

Regards, Adam.

Alvis.jpg

001-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

To replace it you should be able to remove the pin for the lower wish bone.

You will need to make 2 wedges to hold the upper wish bone connected to the torsion bar up out of the way.

The wedges are hand made to a certain size and fit between the hull and the upper wish bone suspension stop..

With the steering rod ends removed and wheel removed you should be able to pull back the wheel station enough while it is hanging on the upper wish bone to pull the bronze hull tracta joint out of its housing.

The trick is getting it all back together.

You really cannot do this job with out some one who has done it before or a full work shop book which will have the drawings for the wedges that need to be made.

If you are just going to drive the vehicle on hard roads etc and there is no oil leaking out I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Here is my story of doing that job and learning the hard way.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/101-forward-controls-variations/118657-ultimate-fc-53.html

Ron

Edited by 101 Ron

Here is my story of doing that job and learning the hard way.

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/101-forward-controls-variations/118657-ultimate-fc-53.html

Ron

I wondered why this is a link to a Land Rover forum but read my way through it all and it's a great story.

By the way, it may just be the light, but doesn't that brake disc in the first photo look rather thin?

Andy

• 3 months later...