Carb gasket seal recommendations

Rick W

Question

Sealed up all the faces on our carb with Loctite blue gasket sealant but it doesnt appear to be petrol resistant judging by the amount of liquid squirting everywhere! What would people recommend for a carb, or is it better to just use gasket paper? Also what about sealing a sump?

8 answers to this question

Rick,

I replaced the carb on MW, with the spare, when playing about trying to get mine going,......(sorted now, -touch wood)

I used a carb gasket, dunno what off, took the carb with me, and found one that looked right,......holes wise.

Must admit to prefering to use gaskets (paper or material types) over the instant, liquid type.

Can still get gasket paper, around here,.not from the halfords type places, though; and have seen it on e bay before now.

If you get stuck, I'll see what I can find,.'down here'.

All the best,

Andy

Sealed up all the faces on our carb with Loctite blue gasket sealant but it doesnt appear to be petrol resistant judging by the amount of liquid squirting everywhere! What would people recommend for a carb, or is it better to just use gasket paper? Also what about sealing a sump?

Rick,

I assume you are not talking flange gasket, because being an updraught carb, it would not leak petrol from there. My guess is that you are refering to the float chamber, etc. A paper gasket must be used, and also check that there is no bow in any of the sufaces, to ensure the gasket pinches across the whole surface. A liquid sealer should not be used, because if any of the goo get in to the carb, and it is pretty likely, then it will block jets. I usually get my carb gasket sets from Carburettor Exchange, in Leighton Buzzard, but there are other specailists. The material they use is better than normal gasket paper.

I think the Morris sump had a cork gasket, any sump which is pressed steel seals better with cork because of the usual uneveness of them. Get a sheet of cork and cut out with a sharp knife and wad punch, I use Wellseal to seal it.

Thanks for that. I was going to take the carb down to Carb Exchange as they are only down the road but they got an 8 week wait! Its a thought to see if they have a gasket set so we can do it with paper and remove the sealant. Using sealant round the pump probably not as critical as there is a filter before the carb.

Hi,

I made a top gasket for the carb on my hotchkiss from cereal packet card. It was recommended on a website when I was looking for gasket paper. It seem to work fine and wasnt too difficult to do. I was concerned that the thickness of the card may have altered the float height but all seems well.

I was so impressed with it I have made other gaskets for the oil pump and they are ok.

regards

Centurion