3HW Gearbox woes

agmerlin

Having plucked up the courage to dismantle the gearbox and try and found out why it keeps jumping out of top gear, it turned out not to be a worn selector cam as the common cause. The first sign of what trouble may be inside was that the main shaft nut was only finger tight and the clutch housing had been moving about. I think the whole shaft had been allowed to move which has led to excessive wear on the teeth between 2nd and top. See the photo. It also turns out that although the gearbox casing is stamped WR for Wide Ratio the gears in it are most definitely standard ratio!!

anyhow now need to replace the gear......damn!

are they easy to find? Or can the gears be rescued??

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I haven´t touched my 3sw gear box yet - do you have the part number of the 3hw part you need?

Hi Einbeck

Well, the part number won't be what I expected as after counting all the teeth on each gear they clearly aren't wide ratio gears but the standard gears instead. What is needed is the mainshaft fourth gear and the second gear which locks fourth onto the mainshaft! Will have to check the parts book